Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior Method Protective Series

Interpathway

Reviewer stats

5'10" -- 150 lbs.

12 years.

Skill level - B/Silver Leagues.

Play on one team, but sub for many more. Fall through Spring 1-3 extra pick-ups during the week.

Initial Thoughts:

WARRIOR METHOD PROTECTIVE

Shoulder Pads - SMALL - I initially have really likd the shoulder pads. They are a slim fit and sit off the edges of my collar nicely. Mobile, but look to be well protected.

Elbow Pads - MEDIUM - As with the shoulder pads, straight black (and perfectly simple) coloring. Who would've thought, Warrior? The elbow pads are big on my arms and I am currently speaking with JR about switching to smalls.

Shin Pads - 14" - Pretty solid here. Well protected and the best calf protector I have used so far in my life.

Looking forward to updating this as I try them out on the ice.

Almost 2 months with this gear and I have come to several thoughts on each item, both good and bad.

Warrior Method Shin Guards- Warrior really hit the nail on the head here with their shin pads. They are lightweight and extremely supportive, while providing more than enough cushion from slashes and falling to your knees. There is an extra tendon guard to protect the back of your knee from skate slashes, a great feature that I don't think I would like to go without using. As with how good this set is, there are two major drawbacks. The strap that attaches your pad around the calf is far too large. It must take an Ovechkin sized calf (thigh?) to get a snug fit. I really love tight shin pads so I'm fine just using tape but I can't imagine anyone getting a snug fit from the velcro. On another note, I love tucking my tongues under my shin pads (think Crosby's socks). The plastic part of the pad itself isn't wide enough (or deep enough I suppose) to go around my Reebok 9K's so the pad and skate top interfere a bit. I know the 9K's are higher topped skates so this might only be happening to a select number of people. I suspect a good heating and elbow grease will allow my pad to open up and sit comfortably. Will be attacking that later today... 9/10

Shoulder Pads- I never wear shoulder pads, so putting these on for games was a bit of a challenge. They certainly aren't as bulky as I remember my Bauer 3000s in high school being, but it was a bit of a struggle to get adjusted early on. They have a nice slim fit, keeping you from having the football player look going on with your shoulder pads. The straps on these are 100 times better than the ones on the shin pads, as they fit my smaller body nice and snugly. Mobility is good, but still a rather annoying issue for me since I am used to playing w/o any shoulder pads. They look like they will absorb a nice amount of damage and I can only hope that the puck comes up and hits me when I'm wearing these guys. Will update down the line. 7.5/10

Elbow Pads- This is where Warrior really dropped the ball. I believe I should have ordered a Small rather than a Medium, but this pad is far too large for my arms. The pad itself looks like two pieces stitched together, rather than the nice open hinging design of my CCM/RBKs that I sam used to. For the price they fetch at retail I am sure there will be a good amount of kids wearing these, but not for their performance factor. The pads themselves (along with all three) are holding up well structurally, but these elbow pads will likely be ditched soon. Sorry Warrior, but this product is not up to the level you've set with your Shin Pads and Shoulder Pads. 3/10

Will update again with more information!

Absolutely falling head over heels for the shoulder pads these days. I think I'm finally 100% accustomed to wearing something up there now, and every game I will be using them. My mobility isn't any different from when I wore nothing and they offer me a sense of peace and tons of protection. Great job Warrior.

Still upset that they let the ball drop on their elbow pads though.

Will continue to update as changes occur.

Going to lower my rating of the shin guards. Have fallen a couple times recently and have hit my knees hard and the impacts were quite painful. Despite my best efforts at taping them into place, they seem to shift down my legs slightly. What this has done is created a minimally protected zone on the top of my kneecaps. I've fallen at least two or three times where the pain of impact was quite noticeable.

I have lowered the rating to an 8/10, and will keep an eye on how this situation continues...

Still happy with both the Shin Guards and the Shoulder Pads. The pads have stood the test of time, so far, and I hope that nothing changes in the next six months either.

Reworked Rankings

Shin Pads - 9/10

Shoulder Pads - 9/10