Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgiant

Matt Duchene's pattern?

His pattern is really similar to the "Versteeg" pattern in Warrior's customizer, yeah?

There is less heel in the versteeg

Might be close to the p08 or bp8 from miken. Toned down ovechkin. The Versteeg doesn't have the heel really. Versteeg plays a little more like an elongated gionta.

They had half a dozen of his sticks at the Pepsi Center the other day. I thought the curve was more like a bigger P92, but what surprised me was how upright the lie was, and the blade was much longer in person then it looks in the pictures. These were the Reebok sticks with the holes in the shaft (Sorry, I forget what they were called). I'd guess the flex was 100, not 120 like someone stated earlier in this thread, but that's not to say he doesn't go through several different flexes throughout the season.

If you listen to the sound bite posted above. Matt Duchene himself, says he uses a 115 flex and also compares it to a toned down Ovechkin. A little heel wedge plus a smaller toe. He also says he uses a really short stick which would explain the high lie.

They had half a dozen of his sticks at the Pepsi Center the other day... These were the Reebok sticks with the holes in the shaft (Sorry, I forget what they were called).

The sticks were the 8.0.8s

Maybe you can pick me up one, ship it to me and I'll pay you for it? I'll PM you

thought the group may find this interesting, copied below..

Avalanche's Matt Duchene is getting long results with shorter stick
Denver Post, 10/30/2013

Burgeoning Avalanche superstar Matt Duchene is 5-foot-11 but uses a hockey stick that could be sized for a bantam. That's ages 13-14 in hockey terms, and most kids at that level are well under 5-11.

With skates on, the butt end of Duchene's stick is about six inches under his chin, which is about six inches shorter than what is sized at any hockey retail store. Duchene, 22, copied good friend Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins in going with a short reach, and he is loving the results.

Duchene leads the Avs with nine goals, third in the NHL, in the best stretch of his career.

"I'm really liking the way I'm shooting the puck," said Duchene, who tied Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg and Chris Stewart for the franchise record for goals in October. "Every time I'm letting it go, I feel like it has a chance to go in. Even if it doesn't, it gives you confidence."

Crosby, also 5-11, leads the league with 20 points, and he and Duchene use cut-down Reebok sticks with a light flex. The more a stick is cut down the stiffer the flex from its original flex, so getting good "whip" on a short stick requires a light flex. Duchene has gone down to an 80 flex, after using 95 and 110 in previous seasons.

Duchene copied Crosby's stick length, cutting it "four or five inches under what he had. I took his stick, marked it off on one of mine and cut it to the exact same length, and I've stuck with him ever since."

The disadvantages of a short stick is poke-checking, and an 80 flex is far more prone to snap. Sakic used an 85 flex throughout his Hall of Famer career and had one of the best wrist shots of all time.

"When it's closer your body — and I have a high lie too — I can hold the puck in tight so it's real easy to protect the puck," Duchene said.

The Boston Bruins' Zdeno Chara won the "hardest shot" competition at the NHL All-Star Game in five of the last six events. That's because he's 6-foot-9 and uses extraordinarily long stick with a stiff flex.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_24415029/avalanches-matt-duchene-is-getting-long-results-shorter

I'm an advocate for shorter sticks in most situations. it takes some poke checking range out of the equation but it also brings your body more into things which IMHO is a plus.

I'm an advocate for shorter sticks in most situations. it takes some poke checking range out of the equation but it also brings your body more into things which IMHO is a plus.

Been thinking about this (specifically Duchene/Crosby) lately.

I think there are huge benefits to using a short stick, but unless you have Crosby's skill (how does he shoot with that paddle??), we don't really have the luxury of getting high lies. Players like Duchene (short stick, back very bent) and Getzlaf (long stick, straight back) use lies of 7 I imagine.

Has anyone around 5'8-5'11 used an intermediate stick?

I had thought Crosby used around a 5 lie...I'd be curious to see what lie Duchene and Getzlaf actually use.

I recall watching an old interview with Sid and Ron MacLean, in which Sid remarked that he used a 4.5 lie.

Anyone know what Getzlaf and/or Duchene are using for lies? Both definitely seem higher/more upright? If anyone's recently come across either player's game-used stick, please compare it to a popular retail pattern (i.e. Bauer P92), and let us know, thanks!

Variation of p92, lot more toe

Had the luxury of sitting behind the bench at a Ducks game and Getzy was using the new Vapor 1X (or at least dressed as such) and I'm about 95% sure he's using a P28, the toe had a fairly serious hook to it. But then I've also seen his sticks in the team store for sale after games, and it was pretty much a P92 as far as the toe was concerned, but the heel looked much flatter. Maybe he is experimenting with curves? I just wish he'd pick a curve and shoot the freaking puck. One more cutesy pass attempt to Perry thru the crease and I'm gonna throw up......