Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

diehardfan

Easton Z Air Comp Skates

My LHS is selling Easton Z Air Comp Skates for a very good price. So far all I have gathered is that these were top of the line skates when they came out and the boots are very stiff.

I am not sure how stiffness will effect me as I have only skates in bauer supreme 3000 and RBK 9K, should I be worried about stiffness? I skate about 2-3 times a week and am a pretty decent skater.

Anything else I should be aware of or consider regarding this skate and how is the durability of these skates?

Thanks

I skated a few times in a pair. They are so stiff you would likely never break them down unless you were a pretty large person skating at an elite level 5 days a week. As such they seemed like tanks. I am an intermediate skater at 200 lbs and the skates felt like casts on my feet. They are way stiffer than the two skates you have used.

I had the model just below these for a while. I found the break in period very long, and they never really fit me right. I have a feeling this was more the person not fitting me correctly, as opposed to the skate itself. I had them punched out too, and that didn't help much, so I recently replaced them. But, yes mine were very stiff boot.

One big drawback for me was the blade holders cracking a lot! I also had the steel break twice, and we are talking from taking a soft pass off the blade holder.

If the top model in this line are close to the ones I had, durability was supreme, they still look almost new with the exception of a few nicks. For me though, they were never really right. I think Easton skates and my feet just aren't meant to be.... :)

Hope this helps at least a bit.

At the rink at home, we have two pairs of Z air pros in our rental skate inventory for some reason (both size 5, so I can't steal a pair). They are both still as stiff as they were new, liners tongues and everything fully intact. A little scratched up, but it's just cosmetic.

If you've been fine with the 9k, you'll be fine stiffness wise in these. Fit would be the concern. Easton has different sizing then most, and a different last. But if the price is right, go for it, and if they don't fit you can pass them along to somebody else.

I know a couple that had them when they came out. They refuse to consider another pair Easton skates to this day.

The are one of the stiffest taditional skates Easton had ever made. As previously mentioned they simply don't break down or at least not very easily. I know guys who have had them for four years and their still as stiff as the day they where bought. If you like support these are the ultimate skate but don't buy them if you like a little flexability in your skates because you'll never adjust to them. I personally liked them and would probably have purchased a pair if it wasn't for the fact I was wearing an awesome set of Pro Tacks I won in a contest from CCM at the time they came out but then again I prefer a stiff skate. Easton skates seem to either fit you or they don't so make sure that you try them out to make sure the fit works for you.

These have been by far my favorite skates ever produced. I dont fit well in any current model skate, including my new SE16 Whites 12EE (which are for sale). The i was using the 2003 Z-air Comp SE's converted to roller since they came out. its been 6 years of 3 day a week games, with my weight fluctuating between 350-250lbs, and they have just been retired last month. I have been searching for more of these skates, and have hoarded 2 pairs of 11.5D, but the 11.5EE that i require have eluded me. Easily my favorite skates of all time.

so how will the stiffness effect my skating in general?

Since the skates I have worn are not that stiff, I dunno how a stiff skate will effect me. Btw, I am around 5'9 160lb but I do skate hard.

These were really my first really hockey skate. Ive only ever used some very low end skates prior. I dont think you'll have a problem with the stiffness though.

Any chance the location you found them has any in size 11.5EE? please PM me with their info if they do.

I've had these too and they are one of the stiffest retail skates ever made. I'm around 220 - 230 I think 160 would be too light to ever break in these skates. How much are the skates for sale for? If the price is right you might wanna give them a try and if they don't work out I'll buy them from you if they are a size 9.

If your a light guy the stiffness may effect your cornering and manoeverability because there is no give on the ankle area. You could wipe out in tight turns or simply be unable to make a tight turn because you are limited in your angle of entry into the turn by the ankle support of the skate.

From what I remember of them, they're excellent skates. Stiff, as everyone else says, but it just takes the time to break them in a bit. Comfortable and supportive as well.

They will definitely last you a long time so if they work for you they'll be a great buy.

They are VERY heavy. I used a pro stock pair from Derek Roy for a while. They are not light but if you block a lot of shots, they are going to save you from a lot of pain, hell they feel bulletproof. Just recently got myself a pair of X60s and I feel like im weightless out there now.

my 11yr old is using the 04 version of these. initially i thought they were too stiff, he seems to be breaking them in the 2nd time around, after putting them on the shelf for 4 months, and playing at a high level in them......i don't know where to put them on the stiffness scale of today's skates,... but it's in the upper half...and these wil prolly be better performance wise than any $200 jr skate

they're not as stiff as the high end vapor x100..but their much stiffer than the rbz80.

i don't know if the junior 04 version is different than the senior..but it's not a heavy skate at all, at leat the jr version...imo it's built like a tank and performs very well..absolute steal at $50 bucks

Stiffness does not equal superior performance, especially for an 11 year old who is still developing ankle strength.

no..but it's a component of.......and any low to mid priced skates are pretty laughable to these skates. ..they blow the nexus 400 and mid priced vapors out of the water..i can't even imagine him going to a ccm 06. skating 4 times a week . the bells and whistles on this skate are amazing..and i can see why a small group of easton gear whores love them....

Stiffness is a undoubtedly a component of performance, especially for people with weaker ankles. While I get your point on the Pure Fly, and I agree, the lower portion of that skate was quite stiff and intended to reduce side to side motion to get less slop in the skate and more power to the ice.

Ulf, I posted some ebay links that might have been helpful for you to stock up on the next few sizes in Z-Airs for your son before the site went down? Have any luck with those?

Stiffness is a undoubtedly a component of performance, especially for people with weaker ankles. While I get your point on the Pure Fly, and I agree, the lower portion of that skate was quite stiff and intended to reduce side to side motion to get less slop in the skate and more power to the ice.

Ulf, I posted some ebay links that might have been helpful for you to stock up on the next few sizes in Z-Airs for your son before the site went down? Have any luck with those?

yes..i saw..thanx..but we actually had a pair, and we went back to them...and it's worked out the 2nd time around

i was in my LHS trying trying to find a "like" skate for the 04, and there really wasn't any....this is truly a remarkable skate on par w/ the best, or next best available...

on the stiffness scale i would say they're at least like the reebok 20k..although i didnt "charmin" them in each hand..so they might be even stiffer..the funny part is the guy was telling me how light the apx 2 was and when we both had each skate in our hands i couldn;t feel much of a difference in the 2.....and he didn;t either....