Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 09-10 Thread

Wilson should be ripping Burke for saddling him with that shit-show in TO. As for his comments to Kessel, as Wilson explained, that was more for the rest of the team that it was about calling Kessel out. Yes, Kessel needs to up his game but that goes for the whole squad, well, to at least play to the mediocre talent level that most of those forwards are capable.

I want to go on record and say Burke f***ked this team when trading for Kessel. This team needed a full blown rebuild, not a half assed reload. Good luck making a serious run at the cup for the next 5 to 8 years.

I would actually pay to get less Leaf coverage on NHL On the Fly or the lame talk show they run around five PM. Some teams get a 30 second highlight clip, but every damn night we get five+ minutes on Toronto, even if they don't play.

I want to go on record and say Burke f***ked this team when trading for Kessel. This team needed a full blown rebuild, not a half assed reload. Good luck making a serious run at the cup for the next 5 to 8 years.

While one can argue that Phil is a dynamic player, and that the draft picks were "expendable" due to the bozak, hanson and gustavsson signings, I have to say I too think Burke went the wrong path on that trade. The hope was that Toronto would pull a U-turn and come high in the ranking, thus giving Boston shitty picks for the next two years. However, the opposite appears to be happening, and it is highly possible that they could end up with the best player in the draft in Taylor Hall.

Don't get me wrong, I think those three we signed plus kessel are all capable of coming into their own, along with hopefully Schenn and Gunnarsson. The Leafs, with the acquisition of a top-line centre for phil, could very well be a playoff team next year.

My problem with this whole ordeal is that Burke, like you said, went with a half-ass, temporary rebuild. The whole idea of the new NHL is to draft while you are shitty to acquire top picks, then build around those guys, meanwhile the highest pick we taken since Clark could very well have been the one we gave to Boston. Sure, there have been years where top picks blunder, and sleepers end up being career players (i.e. 1995 - Aki Berg goes 3rd overall, P.J. Axelsson goes 177th overall), but with the amount of money and attention being put into professional hockey scouting, that is far less likely to happen.

What I would have done (and probably taken flack for it) is let a team who can afford it sign Kessel. Sure, it would hurt to see him go, but not as much as it would hurt to see Taylor Hall go to the Bruins next year. Trade Kaberle for picks/prospects. YES, Kaberle is the best player on the team right now (IMO), and YES, what he delivers for the price of his contract is and outstanding bargain, but I feel like by the time the leafs are a serious playoff contender in a number (now likely larger than necessary) of years, Tomas will be past his prime anyway. In that sense, the young players we would have received for him would have been just budding into their full potential.

Okay, I know it's far easier to look back now that Kessel has stopped performing and say I would have done this, I would have done that, etc, but I'm not a professional General Manager in the NHL. Brian Burke is. One would expect a man of his reputation to have had a little more patience and resist the Kessel deal for something that has far more probability of doing good for your team in draft picks.

sigh.. atleast by the time the leafs are back in it, the stupid Blake and Finger contracts will be gone and done with.

i get the feeling tonights game is going to be pretty competitive but we wont win

gunner is playing tonight...thank god. PUT HIM OUT ON THE PP wilson...plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and tell jay rosehill to hit, battle in the boards, and try not to fight....get the other team to take a penalty

BOZAKS goal!!!! haha makes TO look stupid for not bringing him up earlier but then again he had some injury/illness

tosk's playing good too, rosehill/4th lines having an awesome game

we blew it again :facepalm:

at least there are some slight positives to take from this.

kulemin, kessel, and bozak, gunner, still no krapasarek...

cmon guys just finish 20-25th place and not the worst 5...plz

we blew it again :facepalm:

at least there are some slight positives to take from this.

kulemin, kessel, and bozak, gunner, still no krapasarek...

cmon guys just finish 20-25th place and not the worst 5...plz

Bruin fans everywhere are pulling for the Leafs...to finish in the bottom five :D

we blew it again :blink:

What was your role in blowing it?

i think my role was not watching the entire game haha

but by "we" i meant our leafs team in a sense and we are all a part of that team... if you get what i mean

on a side note, the ticker on the score network is saying that Primeau should be back thursday agaist tampa.

wow... kaberle looked real soft on that 2nd florida goal... most d-men would at least lay their stick completely flat on the ice if not drop to their stomach to block a pass. Totally killed our momentum/chances of coming back

i've noticed kaberle has this kovy factor to him, when he wants to he can be amazing (during the time when we were no. 1 pp for instance, he was actually shooting) but most of the time he seems to be just having a nice stick and puck session

now this is just rediculous...

whats so different between burke and every other gm we had before...

for the record after reading this article i didnt laugh....i face palmed :facepalm:

Burke thinks TML will make the playoffs

You need to work on your reading comprehension. He said it is still their "focus" to make the playoffs, he did not say that he thinks they will make it. In fact, his comment about adding someone to make the playoffs seems to imply that he thinks they will not be able to do it with the current roster.

The goal should always be to win games and if you win enough games, you will make the playoffs. He's leaving out the first part, I guess he figures everyone knows that much.

now this is just rediculous...

whats so different between burke and every other gm we had before...

for the record after reading this article i didnt laugh....i face palmed :facepalm:

Burke thinks TML will make the playoffs

You need to work on your reading comprehension. He said it is still their "focus" to make the playoffs, he did not say that he thinks they will make it. In fact, his comment about adding someone to make the playoffs seems to imply that he thinks they will not be able to do it with the current roster.

The goal should always be to win games and if you win enough games, you will make the playoffs. He's leaving out the first part, I guess he figures everyone knows that much.

sorry for not knowing that much...(im being sarcastic incase you cant tell)

i never knew hocey was about winning....really?

i completely understand its our focus and its a gm trying to vamp up his troops, he also tried this at the beginning of the season when we went on a horrible losing streak.

when someone is hired on and tells you that they are going to "build" a team through the draft, yet makes the same moves that everyone before him did...its not very impressive.

as well, Brian Burke isnt being handed an anaheim team with alot of assets that are missing 2 pieces.

Also i think i can read just fine thank you very much. if he trades away our assets, what do you think we are going to get in return this season that will give us a late regular/post season push (enlighten me please).

we have a few bright spots on defence (key word few)

our offence isnt all that great this season, especially our powerplay which we have always been fairly decent at

and our goaltending isnt going to get us far.

so i am guessing what you were able to understand from that article, that i wasnt, is that Burke is going to trade what we have right now, to get us a proven post season goaltender or somehow get Gustavson and Toskala to start playing like Roy and Brodeur (granted Gustavsson needs time to develop i am not writing him off)

we are going to get our defence core vamped up greatly, and somehow our defence is going to realize over night that we need to start winning and contribute defensively and offensively

and our forwards are suddenly going to start becoming point per game players.

the only thing that upsets me is that last season we were barely good enough to make the playoffs, so this season we started off with less points total on defence and offence, no number 1 goaltender, and yet we are still making a push to make the playoffs.

most of the reason we are in a mess to begin with, is that we traded away alot of our assets at the deadline to make a "push" for the playoffs earlier.

the goal is always to win, but there is also something called being realistic is there not?

or are you just mad because i said "we" again?

man, I'm pretty sure chadd, like most sensible people, doesnt expect the leafs to make the playoffs this year. He was probably just pointing out that burke didn't actually say we were going to make the playoffs, but that he wants to and it is still his goal.

Should this really be a surprise? Do you expect him to just come out and say, "Yea, our team is way shittier than I had hoped in september, and I've now pretty much fucked them over by sending the majority of our high picks away for the next two seasons."

Burke, as long as he's been in Toronto at least, has been very indirect when addressing the media, especially in terms of trades. He's probably 90% sure that he will be a seller at the deadline, so by telling the media he has not decided yet if he will be buying or selling players is not lie, and it also gives the media the least amount of information possible about his plans this march.

Hell, I'm not going to play in the NHL in my lifetime (or anywhere close for that matter), but whats wrong with saying I would really love to, and it's my goal to make it?