Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 09-10 Thread

burke was on sportsnet lunch today(yesterday now) talking about not needing 5 franchise players to win. he really wants good/more goaltending apparently.

he also stated he doesnt think the system of high draft picks will work for a team if they lose consistently and draft high. <_<

burke on winning on sportsnet lunch

him and doug maclean almost get into it lol...

he also stated he doesnt think the system of high draft picks will work for a team if they lose consistently and draft high. <_<

You have a very limited amounted time with those guys under their entry level contracts. The price goes up very quickly after that.

Burke might want to notice that the Pens are now Stanley Cup champs and that the Capitals are doing pretty well with the draft. What an idiot he is, actually just arrogant and pompous.

Burke might want to notice that the Pens are now Stanley Cup champs and that the Capitals are doing pretty well with the draft. What an idiot he is, actually just arrogant and pompous.

+1

I'm not a fan of burkie or the leafs, but I gotta say he has a point. The pens and the caps are anomalies in the drafting system, the pens happened to suck real bad for a long time and ended up getting four NHL ready premiere players in the flower, sid, malkin and staal, the caps lucked due to sucking and got Ovie.

just like presidents after Roosevelt the draft picks after those tremendous years pale in comparison. Is Stamkos good? yes, but I don't think he'll have the same effect crosby did. Tavares will not dominate like ovie... it's apparent, I'm sure they'll have great careers but the next batch of superstars are another hyper-generation away (6-10 years).

he's going at it differently, but I think it might work out for them, expect the leafs in the playoffs next year!

I gotta disagree. Look at Chicago. None of their players are on the same scale as Ovechkin and Crosby. Kane is a great player, as is Towes, but none of them have hit 90 points as of yet, but the team is great. Building through the draft is a great way to make a team, but you have to be dedicated. It can't be halfassed or its gonna end badly. The Avalanch got Stastny, Wolski and Duchene that will form the core of their team for years to come. All VIA the draft. Youth is the new high-priced free agent. LA and St.Louis are other teams that built through the draft. Perron, Oshie, Berglund, Eric Johnson, Doughty, Jack Johnson, Kopitar and the list goes on and on. Building a team from free agents and such is often rag/tag and chemistry takes some time to develop.

No time or patience in Toronto for Leafs fans or management to build through draft. The Rangers were the same way forever. The Rangers finally slowed down with that method and now have Dubinsky, Staal, Callahan, Girardi, Del Zotto, Anisimov, and Lundqvist to show for it. Brian Burke is not God when it comes to building a team.

expect the leafs in the playoffs next year!

The Leafs haven't touched postseason ice since 2004. How many more seasons of "next year" can their fans take?

expect the leafs in the playoffs next year!

The Leafs haven't touched postseason ice since 2004. How many more seasons of "next year" can their fans take?

personally i rather we miss a couple more years so we can build a more solid core and be able to compete for a longer time than making sure we have to reach playoffs every year and get kicked out in the first round...but i'm pretty sure most leaf fans aren't this understanding

completely agree with k9, once i heard Burke say he wanted to make a run to the playoffs, i was like oh boy, here we go again lol. i guess mgmt got to him right away just like all the other gm's. weve sucked this long, whats a few more years. last year we sucked, no expectations and the games were fun to watch. this year we are sucking so far with higher expectations, and i cant even fathom to watch a game after we get down 3.

i dont know...hopefully the guys can turn this around. but yah, if we make the playoffs and get eliminated first round ever year...not worth it.

we arent detroit where we can constantly develop players and be competetive every year.

our rebuild lasted all of half a season lol.

what do you guys think the over/under on ron wilson is? i know burke said he will keep him, but we have all heard that before.

what do you guys think the over/under on ron wilson is? i know burke said he will keep him, but we have all heard that before.

Usually you get at least one player move before they axe the coach.

taking that into consideration then (and i know its early in the season)

who is the first player to go?

Start with the guys who were scratched the other night or anyone that has been benched for a significant portion of a game.

I would say Blake, but nobody wants that contract. The fact is that the Leafs have very few desirable assets because they're all overpaid or under-performing. At the deadline if the Leafs aren't in the playoff hunt look for guys like Mayers, Poni, Hagman, Exelby, Primeau and Stempniak to get traded for picks. The only guys who have solid trade value who could possibly be traded are Kaberle and White. I really hope White doesn't get moved.

Regarding Burke saying he wanted to make the playoffs- From when he got hired he admitted that he was retooling the team from the get-go, and the team would be evolving. However, he claimed he would try to make the playoffs ever year because he doesn't think its fair to the fans to tank. Burke has enough job security where he could conceivably tank for two more years without putting his job in jeopardy. That just goes against his beliefs I guess.

Aaaaannnnnd the Leafs are the last team remaining without a win. Isls almost blew this game too.

yah i was watching the NHL network and realized the same thing last night before i went to bed.

you know what would be crazy, if they go on to sweep thier entire road series thats coming up...

someone needs to introduce FBV or get them a new sharpener coz their falling all over the place lol

on the other hand, can you imagine raymond on the same line as stalberg?

someone needs to introduce FBV or get them a new sharpener coz their falling all over the place lol

on the other hand, can you imagine raymond on the same line as stalberg?

scary thing about mason raymond is how effortless he makes it look and he just flies. my brother watches hockey once in a while and saw mason raymond right away was like, holy smokes that guy is quick.

blake, raymond, stalberg...that would be one super fast line lol.

it was good to see them trying to fight back for a win last night. the look on poni's face at the end of the game made me feel bad for em'.

but its a good sign, they cycled, they hit, they forechecked. they just have to stop taking so many penalties. nice to see hags get a goal.

ye they did everything right, minus the stupid penalties, but once again they ran into a good goalie, nearly 2/3 of the game was played in the vancouver zone

at least their getting a lot better, the win will come

The Leafs are an utter joke. I especially like their PK. It basically consists of zero puck pressure - just standing there, and allowing the opposition to perform set plays. Wilson is a boob.

Dollars to donuts, I'm going to be sitting by the teevee watching Boston get the first overall pick for the next two years. But that's okay, because Kessel is just so awesome.

Real fans of the team have been waiting for a full scale rebuild since the lockout. And now that they're bad enough to have it happen properly, they trade away their picks. Idiots.

So, who will get their 1st win first...The Raptors (who haven't even started yet) or the Leafs?

I think they're going to have to wait until the Blue Jays come back :lol: