Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 09-10 Thread

I think Gus is tired of facing 45 shots after his team gets an early 3-0 lead. This is without a doubt the most difficult stretch in my Toronto fanhood. At least when we've sucked before I can look forward to getting someone like Schenn or Kadri. Don't get me wrong, I support the Kessel trade so long as the Leafs don't give up a lottery pick. The most frustrating part about the Leafs right now is that there is no immediate fix available. There aren't any tradable assets except for Tlusty, and I doubt he has much value right now. I know the common theme with bashing the Leafs is goaltending, but it hasn't been that bad. Last night for example, the entire team basically quit in front of Gus. There is no semi-elite talent up front besides Kessel, and it is painfully obvious that everything funnels through him. Our defense is talented individually, but the unit is playing horribly together.

If there is one positive to come out of this, its Ian White.

Also, I stand behind Burke's philosophy of a top six/bottom six. The problem is that both our top six and bottom six suck. Kessel is the only legit first liner, while Grabovski, Poni and Stajan are maginal second liners. Same goes for Blake, Hagman and Stempniak, but they're a notch below. The only good bottom six player is Orr. Kulemin has the skill to be a legit top six winger, but hasn't put it all together yet. Primeau, Wallin and Mayers have all been underwhelming, but at least he has shown toughness. Mitchell has a third line body with a first line mentality, making him essentially useless. Comparing Burke's first and third lines in Anaheim and Toronto just highlight why this team is failing- Selanne-McDonald-Kunitz vs Poni-Stajan-Kessel, Neidermayer-Pahlsson-Marchant vs Stempniak-Mitchell-Kulemin. With the roster right now, Burke's system is an absolute failure.

we need a legit 1st line center and the d to step up, the goaltending like you said hasn't exactly been THAT bad, after that i think we're good, not good enough for the cup but maybe playoffs, but then again we got nothing to trade

edit: ovechkin's gonna have a field trip tonight

Looked good tonight, Ovechkin was nullified by the crack team of Beauchiman (sp?) and White, and that's no slight on those guys, they just put a leash on the guy like you do in peewee hockey and he couldn't figure it out. Goes to show you that a little bit of heart goes along way.

oh yeah, If he got any respect Ian White would be captain, but he'd probably have to kill somebody for burkie before he would be considered.

Truculent.

Looked good tonight, Ovechkin was nullified by the crack team of Beauchiman (sp?) and White, and that's no slight on those guys, they just put a leash on the guy like you do in peewee hockey and he couldn't figure it out. Goes to show you that a little bit of heart goes along way.

oh yeah, If he got any respect Ian White would be captain, but he'd probably have to kill somebody for burkie before he would be considered.

Truculent.

yah for some reason there arent lots of people that like Ian White. the guy is making 950,000 a year and is amazing back there, can move the puck, isnt bad defensively. almost always shows up to play.

heres hoping that the leafs keep him and poni (please keep poni)

Truculent.

yah for some reason there arent lots of people that like Ian White. the guy is making 950,000 a year and is amazing back there, can move the puck, isnt bad defensively. almost always shows up to play.

heres hoping that the leafs keep him and poni (please keep poni)

White's play the last 2 years has definitely earned him a raise next year...but if there is a lack of respect from BB...It won't be in Toronto. They have a very similar situation that Mon had last year. 14 FA's (11 UFA - I think). So, Burke will really be able to rebuild...and guys who may not be in his plans can be replaced without incident.

Burke really likes White. He said last year that he was offered a 2nd round pick at the deadline, but thought he was too valuable to the team. The problem with White in the future is I don't see how we can afford to pay him what hes worth. Between Kaberle, Komi, Beauch, Schenn and Finger all making at least $3-4 mil (not sure of Schenn's actual salary because of bonuses), the Leafs need at least one cheap depth guy. Right now its looking like Gunnarsson is him. I really want to lock up White long term, but someone else needs to be moved. Komi, Beauch and Schenn are staying. Kaberle is too valuable to move. So it looks like Finger is gone, but I don't know who would want him when there are cheaper options out there.

No way in hell Komi is going anywhere. Burke didn't sign him for a month and a half of service. Komi, Beauch, Hanson, Bozak and Gus are all staying with the team at least through this year. No GM is dumb enough to sign a highly sought after free agent and trade them that November. Besides, Komi was playing solid up until his injury. He was simply trying to do too much when he first got here. Same goes for Beauch.

lol ye mcguire's found a new love

on the other hand, hanson did jack last night, rather they call up bozak or stalberg and i like it when poni's playing with grabo and stick hagman with kessel, seems to work better

edit: komi's coming back gunnerssons staying

'nother good game by the leafs, can't believe I'd rather watch one of their games than a det v. cal game, but damn do they play with a lot of heart. Hanson showed up and did all you could ask for from a marlies call up.

'nother good game by the leafs, can't believe I'd rather watch one of their games than a det v. cal game, but damn do they play with a lot of heart. Hanson showed up and did all you could ask for from a marlies call up.

wait until Hanson gets some chemistry going with the other players...he will play alot better. with the marlies he was usually playing with one line (usually Bozak and Stalberg)...

that Hagman goal was disgusting...its almost like that goal a while back where he walked out of the corner against the florida panthers i believe after having the shift from hell lol...

it was nice to see them make a comeback.

Gunnarsson is playing amazing. i really like his game. Gustavson definitely made some saves to keep us in there...

here is hoping that Phil and Hagman both get at least 30 goals this year...

i was listening to the pregame on AM640 and they interviewed Blake and Domenic Moore (seperately of course) and both of them were saying how much they liked playing with each other and how fun it was with the chemistry. if blake keeps having a hard time...does Burke bring Moore back? or does he ship off jason blake? i for one loved watching those 2 play. everytime they were on the ice together...something was happening.

just an interesting note for some of the guys on this forum (who do you take and what do you think)

Anton Stralman (Former Leafs Prospect, now with Columbus) 22 games Played, 15 pts, -8

Mike Komisarek (Toronto) 16 games played, 0 pts, -9

just thought that was pretty interesting. alot of you may know i am a huge fan of Anton Stralman even when he was the marlies (actually used to go to watch him play)...Komisarek hasnt won me over yet... :ph34r:

komi's games not about stats, simple as that, it doesn't show what he does, definitely rather have komi here since gunnarssons emerged this year

always liked moore, but he was asking too much i think forgot what the number was, could prolly boost them right now, but he's playing in FLA right?

I don't know, Komi has just never impressed, sure he blocks a lot of shots and makes a few hits a game but really after that the rest of his attributes fall off drastically.

Can't pass, can't shoot, can't fight, can't skate.

this is my opinion of course, but nothing about him really screams 4.5mil a year or whatever they are paying, it's too much.

comparatively christian erhoff makes 3.1 a year and is a standout at both ends of the rink this year with Van.

Marl Streit for NYI makes 4.1 and once again a much better overall player, i don't want to turn this into a numbers thing, but really burkie blasted k. lowe before about paying out the nose for people that haven't proven themselves and komi hasn't proven himself at all.

this guy is officially the most die hard leafs fan...

this is an insane story.

leafs practice while HAVING A HEART ATTACK...WOW!

No, he is officially an idiot.

lol....i wonder what his wife said to him when she found out what happened. the second he heals up, his a$$ is toast.

And it wasn't Gary Roberts? that's amazing

Gary Roberts doesnt have heart attacks...they are too afraid of him. :ph34r:

leafs fight/scuffle at practice

this is pretty interesting.

i think Grabo was involved in a scuffle last year as well between jason blake

Komisarek is expected back tommorrow...so who gets scratched or sent down?

Ron Wilson has been pretty strong in his views about not sending Gunner back down. (thats an awesome name for a d man...gunner)

how many pucks do you have to shoot into the guys pads to realize you have to go high on him?

Miller was pretty stellar in net tonight.

hopefully we can put a win together against montreal tommorrow...(hint...go high on price)

Gunnarsson didnt look too good after going into the boards.