Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Bruins 2009-2010

I had thought that the B's had finally straightened their season, but there's just too much inconsistency. They didn't show up the first period against the Panthers, then outplayed them the rest of the game. They started strong in the first period against the Lightning, then were run over in the second period. Still, if they could find one legitimate scorer, their defense has been good enough to keep them in most games.

As an aside, it looked like the refs were still hung over from their Xmas eggnog. There were some atrocious calls the past two nights.

do you think boston regrets letting kessel go now? although if they werent going to be able to afford him there was nothing they could do anyway.

Kessel would definitely get some points but I think injuries and lack of performance from some other guys are more of the problem. They are not getting enough performance on a consistent basis from their second and third lines. Some guys had career years last season and they aren't close to the same performance this year.

I don't know if I can agree that the defense has been good enough most games. They are still coughing up the puck way too much. Hunwick is folding under strong forechecks and just appears hesistant most nights.

As for regretting the Kessel deal, I don't think so. They've got some nice draft picks to work with, especially with Toronto tanking, and who knows if one of those becomes a nice piece of a Kovalchuk trade.

I don't know if I can agree that the defense has been good enough most games. They are still coughing up the puck way too much. Hunwick is folding under strong forechecks and just appears hesistant most nights.

As for regretting the Kessel deal, I don't think so. They've got some nice draft picks to work with, especially with Toronto tanking, and who knows if one of those becomes a nice piece of a Kovalchuk trade.

The defence isn't as good as last year in terms of offensive production I agree that Hunwick looked out of place in the games that I have watched. The Bruins have been playing good team defence but they can't win by scoring 1 or 2 goals a game.

Bergeron has been good and Rask has been playing well. Having Lucic healthy will also make a difference.

The thought of having Savard and Kovalchuk together makes me very happy. We'll have to see what it takes to get that deal done.

If the Thrashers are expecting Kovalchuk to sign long term with whomever he gets traded to, the asking price will be high. At least 1 of the number one picks from Toronto (most likely in the '10 draft which could be a number one overall) plus probably a Krejci or Bergeron and some combination of Hunwick/Boychuck/Hamill/Marchand. They could even try to pry Rask from the B's but I think he'd be an absolute deal breaker.

If the Thrashers are expecting Kovalchuk to sign long term with whomever he gets traded to, the asking price will be high. At least 1 of the number one picks from Toronto (most likely in the '10 draft which could be a number one overall) plus probably a Krejci or Bergeron and some combination of Hunwick/Boychuck/Hamill/Marchand. They could even try to pry Rask from the B's but I think he'd be an absolute deal breaker.

I wouldn't part with Bergeron or Boychuk. Krejci and Hunwick could go. I like Marchand but I don't know if he will ever stick with the Bruins.

Although Hunwick and Wideman can both get yippy with their passes, I think a lot of the coughing up is because the B's seem to be very rigid with their breakout methodology. I've seen a lot of occasions when the opposing forward skates directly below the goal line because he knows the B's will send a pass behind the goal. I understand having systems, but when one team is defending it or matching up well, the B's need to alter their breakout.

I think this is how the Canes beat them in the playoffs last year -- a strong forecheck that intercepted the breakout pass.

do you think boston regrets letting kessel go now? although if they werent going to be able to afford him there was nothing they could do anyway.

I suspect they are conflicted. From what I've read, they wanted him back but, because they were exasperated with his lack of defense, they were only willing to go to $4 million annually. When Chara was quoted as politically saying that Kessel needed to grow up, as well as reports that Kessel chafed under Julien's system, it's pretty easy to conclude that Chiarelli probably wasn't far off when he said that Kessel wasn't going to sign with the B's.

Consequently, there's no doubt the B's would love to have his scoring, but are presumably fairly happy to be receiving three high picks in return, since there's probably the added result of less drama in the locker room.

I realize Atlanta hasn't been playing well and that the B's have scored more goals, but based on Time-Of-Possession, tonight might have been their most dominant game of the year. It was thoroughly entertaining to a Bruins' fan.

And the roller coaster ride continues.............

I didn't see the unforced giveaways last night and that made a big difference. I wonder which Bruins team we'll see tomorrow.

And the roller coaster ride continues.............

I didn't see the unforced giveaways last night and that made a big difference. I wonder which Bruins team we'll see tomorrow.

They seem to play better in front of Rask IMO. The Flyers have won 4 straight so the "good" Bruins team needs to show up...

The Globe's claiming the B's are close to signing Miroslav Satan. He seems a bit long in the tooth, but probably worth taking a chance on if the price isn't too high.

I always thought he was a pretty good player, but he didn't light it up like I thought he would with the Penguins last year. He might turn out to be a good pick up if he contributes some points on a regular basis and didn't cost too much.

I always thought he was a pretty good player, but he didn't light it up like I thought he would with the Penguins last year. He might turn out to be a good pick up if he contributes some points on a regular basis and didn't cost too much.

exactly my thoughts

I sat through Satan on the Pens last year, and I'm really disapointed in this signing. It's only $700,000, but I would rather have seen that money go to someone who is a legit scoring threat. I know they're dealing with the cap, I just don't want to see management slipping back into that prior zone where they cheap out on everything. If you're not scoring with malkin or crosby as your center, you're probably not scoring with savard or krejci. He also has a history of a less than stellar work ethic, which I think is a key element of the Bruins. eh.

I see this signing as the precursor to something else. I suspect that one of the underperforming scorers (read: Ryder) might be shipped out in order to make some salary room in order to make use of the Leafs drafts pick(s) to pick up a scorer.

I could see a trade for salary cap room but, from everything I've read, they wouldn't trade the Leafs' first round pick, since it could be a top three pick. However, I think they'd be willing to trade their own first rounder.

I see this signing as the precursor to something else. I suspect that one of the underperforming scorers (read: Ryder) might be shipped out in order to make some salary room in order to make use of the Leafs drafts pick(s) to pick up a scorer.

Ryder has a pretty big contract, he might be hard to move.

I could see a trade for salary cap room but, from everything I've read, they wouldn't trade the Leafs' first round pick, since it could be a top three pick. However, I think they'd be willing to trade their own first rounder.

I think it depends on who they decide to go after. If they try to get into the Kovalchuk sweepstakes then that will likely cost a Leafs pick. Any Kovalchuk deal for me would be contingent on a long-term deal.

I think it depends on who they decide to go after. If they try to get into the Kovalchuk sweepstakes then that will likely cost a Leafs pick. Any Kovalchuk deal for me would be contingent on a long-term deal.

I wasn't aware the Bruins had 9 to 11 million in cap space next season... <_<

Obviously, there would be some salary heading the other way in the deal and over the summer the B's would create the space to fit him in for '10-11 and beyond.

totally lackluster effort on the part of the B's last night. Plus they may have lost Bergy in the process for some time. The best thing that can happen righ tnow is bringing Satan in to make some competition out there for playing time. IMO some guys could use to sit for a game or 2.