Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009-2010 Washington Capitals Thread

Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for why that goal was washed out?

Ovechkin knocked the defenseman into the goalie and that prevented him from having a chance to stop the puck. Had Gill taken out the goalie on his own, it's a good goal.

I'm not sure that shouldn't have been a goal. Ovechkin hit Gill legitimately as he played the puck as an attempt to gain possession. It wasn't like he ran him with the intent of bowling for goalies.

Spectacular play, regardless...

That's why it wasn't a penalty.

I see why they washed it out based on your explanation. My only question is what about when guys crash the net and the forward and d-man basically slide into the goalie pushing him and thepuck ovre the line. They consider that a good goal, no? Isn't this similar? Or am I just not understanding the rule.

I see why they washed it out based on your explanation. My only question is what about when guys crash the net and the forward and d-man basically slide into the goalie pushing him and thepuck ovre the line. They consider that a good goal, no? Isn't this similar? Or am I just not understanding the rule.

The issue there is in expecting consistency from the NHL and its officials. If left up to Toronto, it probably would have been counted as a goal. The league is so focused on scoring that just about anything is ok with them.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THEY PLAN ON DRESSING VARLEY

easy with the caps lock there bud. And seeing as Neuvy came off in the 2nd, i would wager Varlamov will be dressed tonight against Ottawa. Not sure if he will start or not though.

The issue there is in expecting consistency from the NHL and its officials. If left up to Toronto, it probably would have been counted as a goal. The league is so focused on scoring that just about anything is ok with them.

Haha good point.

easy with the caps lock there bud. And seeing as Neuvy came off in the 2nd, i would wager Varlamov will be dressed tonight against Ottawa. Not sure if he will start or not though.

hoping they dress varly and neuvy and sit theo.

hoping they dress varly and neuvy and sit theo.

Not if Neuvy just hurt himself last night. Theo can back up Varlamov and it doesn't rick anything.

Not if Neuvy just hurt himself last night. Theo can back up Varlamov and it doesn't rick anything.

Theo was scheduled to start tonight, but he got thrown into the game last night and let up 3. I hope Varly is ready to go tonight. He hasnt played since Dec. 7th or 2nd or something like that. It'll be interesting to see how the Caps play tonight. They just had their 14 game win streak snapped, so do they take a night off? Or do they take it personal and rip up Ottawa?

Hopefully they're pissed off and decide to destroy Ottawa tonight :D

Man they really need to learn to play so defense, that was just terrible last night. I'm starting to think maybe they need to trade for a proven goalie. You just cant win in the playoffs by trying to out duel the other team. Its just not going to happen.

Varly looked awful last night and BB even said as such and was not happy. He said that he had plenty of time to get ready for that start and he did not perform as expected.

Theo has looked really good lately and stole a couple games for us during the streak. I think he is definitely the #1 guy right now and should be played as such till he proves he cannot handle it.

If they don't think they have a number one goalie, they need to make a deal for one. They may not have a chance like this to win a cup again. Everyone is healthy and in their prime. With the cap problems only a year or two down the road, you have to go for it when you have the chance.

When half the forwards only meet their goalie at the team banquet at the end of the year (sorry to dust off an old chestnut), you can hardly blame the goalie/defense for so many goals allowed.

When half the forwards only meet their goalie at the team banquet at the end of the year (sorry to dust off an old chestnut), you can hardly blame the goalie/defense for so many goals allowed.

The goals don't come off of odd man rushes or indifferent forwards. They generally come from defensemen that can't stick with their man or make really bad choices at inopportune times.