Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009-2010 Washington Capitals Thread

The Caps need at least one defenseman that knows what to do in his own zone

They're all looking for the puck in their feet instead of pushing the player in the other colored jersey away from the net and trying him up. Urgh.

But is that top line one of the scariest things you've ever seen? 4 goals and 4 assists tonight. 7 goals and 12 assists for 19 points in just 3 games..

The Caps need at least one defenseman that knows what to do in his own zone

They're all looking for the puck in their feet instead of pushing the player in the other colored jersey away from the net and trying him up. Urgh.

But is that top line one of the scariest things you've ever seen? 4 goals and 4 assists tonight. 7 goals and 12 assists for 19 points in just 3 games..

4G 4A tonight and they still lose.

At least they don't have defensive AND offensive problems. Most of the defensemen are UFAs next season so they're not too far off from a revamping. Enter Alzner and Carlson and a signing of a top Dman via cap space from Theo and Nyles, and you have a deep playoff run.

At least they don't have defensive AND offensive problems. Most of the defensemen are UFAs next season so they're not too far off from a revamping. Enter Alzner and Carlson and a signing of a top Dman via cap space from Theo and Nyles, and you have a deep playoff run.

Yeah, but that's next year, and let's not forget Backstrom and Semin are both UFA's at the end of the year as well. That's going to take up atleast Theodore's and Nylander's cap space. You shouldn't score 5-6 goals in a game and narrowly win or lose. IMO, 6 goals tonight wasn't AS bad as the 4 against the Leafs, simply because of who's in the Flyers line-up. Plus, that one goal was giftwrapped and hand delivered from Varlamov to Richards. If this team had a better D-corps, they could steamroll most teams simply because of their offense. I really want this team to be good, but I think in the end their D-corps and goaltending are going to let them down.

Yeah, but that's next year, and let's not forget Backstrom and Semin are both UFA's at the end of the year as well. That's going to take up atleast Theodore's and Nylander's cap space. You shouldn't score 5-6 goals in a game and narrowly win or lose. IMO, 6 goals tonight wasn't AS bad as the 4 against the Leafs, simply because of who's in the Flyers line-up. Plus, that one goal was giftwrapped and hand delivered from Varlamov to Richards. If this team had a better D-corps, they could steamroll most teams simply because of their offense. I really want this team to be good, but I think in the end their D-corps and goaltending are going to let them down.

Semin and Backstrom are RFAs not UFAs.

Also, Semin is making $4.6 mil this year, I think he will probably get a bump to about $6. Backstrom will also get a bump to about $6. Backstroms cap hit is already $2.4 (rookie deal + Bonuses), so it adds $3.6 mil to him and $1.4 mil to Semin (again, just guessing figures on my part, may be more, may be less). So that's $5 mil additional cap space, and you lose $4.5 with Theo and $4.875 with Nylander. Pothier is $2.5 mil and a UFA also.

The cap space will be there, but I just don't get encouraged about the caps in free agency. Poti, Pothier, Nylander, Theo, all decent players don't get me wrong but do you look at those signings and say THAT'S the player to get us over the hump and to the cup? I don't.

Then you look at the Flyers who brought in Pronger, that's a bold move. May screw them over because of the contract extension being in effect after his 35th birthday, but the caps have been screwed by the cap 2 years running now, at least the flyers will be screwed with a real chance of winning it all

Lets hope the defence actually plays defense. Particularly around the net. They have a bad habbit of letting guys get 2nd and 3rd chances. And now that the rangers are playing a Caps style offence, I think this is going to be a blowout. Del Zotto and Gilroy are good at jumping into the play, but against this offence, they're going to pay for it. and often. I say 5-1 Caps.

Lets hope Pothier s back in there...I think sitting Poti for a game, sending an early message would be good also...won't hapeen though

5-3 CAPS......AO, Semin, Laich, Nubes and Bradley

HAHA! Gavin aka ASNP!

I'm listening to the Caps broadcast by Stretch and Vogs and they just read your e-mail. Hilarious. Not as hilarious as the fact that I'm the one on AIM who hit them with their first two questions. Just thought you'd like to know. Haha.

Semin and Backstrom are RFAs not UFAs.

Also, Semin is making $4.6 mil this year, I think he will probably get a bump to about $6. Backstrom will also get a bump to about $6. Backstroms cap hit is already $2.4 (rookie deal + Bonuses), so it adds $3.6 mil to him and $1.4 mil to Semin (again, just guessing figures on my part, may be more, may be less). So that's $5 mil additional cap space, and you lose $4.5 with Theo and $4.875 with Nylander. Pothier is $2.5 mil and a UFA also.

The cap space will be there, but I just don't get encouraged about the caps in free agency. Poti, Pothier, Nylander, Theo, all decent players don't get me wrong but do you look at those signings and say THAT'S the player to get us over the hump and to the cup? I don't.

Then you look at the Flyers who brought in Pronger, that's a bold move. May screw them over because of the contract extension being in effect after his 35th birthday, but the caps have been screwed by the cap 2 years running now, at least the flyers will be screwed with a real chance of winning it all

With the projection of a drop in the salary cap, I doubt that the Caps will have so much money tied up between Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom. GM's have (hopefully) learned from Tampa's mistake.

Last night was my first game of the season in attendance. Letdown much?? Who lets Marion Twigorik dance into the high slot and beat Theo with two rather weak shots (although the second seemed to be through a nice screen...)? But c'mon. Tough one to sit through.

Last night was my first game of the season in attendance. Letdown much?? Who lets Marion Twigorik dance into the high slot and beat Theo with two rather weak shots (although the second seemed to be through a nice screen...)? But c'mon. Tough one to sit through.

Exactly which Caps defenseman is good enough to shut down Gaborik?

My hope on a half fanned slapshot and a quick snap shot from the high slot would be shut down by Threeormore, nevermind either defensemen on the ice...

fixed your typo...

Gaborik's 2nd shot was not weak at all, lightning fast release as usual, vintage Gaborik.

But yeah Caps are gonna fail again this season, due to the lack of defense and a top-tier goalie (both varlamov and theo are under 0.900 atm).

So, caps have lost 4 of their first six games, are taking the same stupid penalties they have been plagued with the last 2 seasons and outside of a huge trade have a pedestrian defense which is not championship worthy (it's been the D, it's been the D for the caps for years now)

Suck out loud.

Take the lead going into the third period in 3 of the last 4 games and lose all 4 games.

Need to start bustin heads at Kettler

By the way, this was done last season for NPR. Brooks Laich and Karl Alzner kept audio diaries of the season, including Alzner getting cut at the end of training camp, his call up, first goal, concussion, winning the calder cup with HErshey and Laich playing for 4 weeks with a fractured foot and not telling Boudreau!!!

Also a bunch of bonus material there too....

http://mediachameleon.org/

Isn't this "pedestrian defense" the same defense that some were so high on last season?

I wasn't, though they did play much better last year.

Isn't this "pedestrian defense" the same defense that some were so high on last season?

I don't know who was high on them last season? They have been weak on the D since Cassidy took over.

They had

Gonchar-Witt

Klee-Johannson

Back then. Say what you will about Witt now, but 6-2 years ago, he was a decent stay at home D.

Same with Klee, Johannson could get the puck out of the zone and Gonchar could score and QB a PP.

Now they have

Green - Gonchar with more offense and less defense

Poti - A Johannson type, but not nearly as good

Pothier - Not bad for a 5/6, not great for a 3/4

Erskine/Juice/Mo/Schultz - collectively a group of marginal 6/7th d-men