Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009-2010 Washington Capitals Thread

Green - Gonchar with more offense and less defense

Poti - A Johannson type, but not nearly as good

Pothier - Not bad for a 5/6, not great for a 3/4

Erskine/Juice/Mo/Schultz - collectively a group of marginal 6/7th d-men

I would take Calle at the same age over Poti every time.

For what its worth, Buffalo go to the conference finals a few years ago with their 8th and 9th defenseman getting ice time. The Caps do not have a system that forces the forwards to give up a little offense in order to make up for their defensive shortcomings. They will need to upgrade the defense or change the forwards defensive responsibilities in order to change their performance.

I forget who it was but I remember someone in the playoff threads trying very hard to convince that the Caps weren't weak on the blueline.

Definitely wasn't me, but the D is always the issue, as I said here earlier in the thread. I would not put the caps D in a side by side comparison favorably with any of the other supposed "elite" teams

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...st&p=729822

The D is the biggest question. Theo has traditionally played well in his contract year (03/04 - 2.27 GAA 0.919%, 33 wins, 07/08 - 2.44 GAA, 0.910 %, 28 wins). Varlamov has been good both in the few regular season games last year and under pressure in the playoffs this year.

Up front, you have 50 goals with Ovechkin, 25 with Backstrom, potentially 40 with Semin, another 35 with Knuble, Morisson is off to a good start, Laich looks to be good for anywhere from 20-35 this year. You have solid defense from the forwards (Checking lines with Laing, Bradley, Steckel, Gordon, Clark etc have been good on the PK and good in the faceoff circle).

It's the defense

Green is good offensively, but makes mistakes in his own end, one cancels out the other

Poti has become dependable but unspectacular, a good #3/4 guy

Pothier seems to be back to his better game, which is again a #4/5 guy

The rest are 5/6/7 D men with Juice/Erskine/Mo/Schultz/Sloan

If they make a trade between now and the end of the trade season, they might be more formidable. At the minute, they can beat anyone on any given night, but in a 7 game series, they can be tested.

Green - Gonchar with more offense and less defense

Poti - A Johannson type, but not nearly as good

Pothier - Not bad for a 5/6, not great for a 3/4

Erskine/Juice/Mo/Schultz - collectively a group of marginal 6/7th d-men

I would take Calle at the same age over Poti every time.

For what its worth, Buffalo go to the conference finals a few years ago with their 8th and 9th defenseman getting ice time. The Caps do not have a system that forces the forwards to give up a little offense in order to make up for their defensive shortcomings. They will need to upgrade the defense or change the forwards defensive responsibilities in order to change their performance.

That's what I was saying. Poti plays a similar game to Calle (no big hits, not big O numbers, but a simple, skating based, outlet pass solid D) but he doesn't play it nearly as well as Calle did. I wasn't sayin Calle was the one who was not nearly as good, I was saying Poti was

Its nice the Caps got the win, especially since they havnt beaten the Sharks in their last 10 meeting or something ridiculous. After the 1st period i was pretty worried though. Half of it was spent on the PP and they only scored one goal. Even the goal they scored seemed strained. Not sure about the OV-BMO-Knuble line. I dont think BMO can keep up with OV for a full season, but it does help balance the scoring. I really want them to pull a New York Rangers and plug in Alzner and Carlson, but i think cap issues wont allow it.

Edit, Theo left the game after the 1st period due to an injury.

I really want them to pull a New York Rangers and plug in Alzner and Carlson, but i think cap issues wont allow it.

Then can send other guys down and risk losing them but they seem to think they are too important to lose. They also have a bunch of UFAs on the blue line at the end of the year; Morrisonn, Pothier, Jurcina and Sloan. I'd rather lose them now and get the younger guys on the ice because you aren't going to win a cup with that defense.

Spot the new bandwagon fans in DC last night. Ovechkin scores 2 in regulation and another in the shootout and a couple of hundred idiots start throwing hats on the ice thinking he has the hat-trick :rolleyes:

Im surprised Ovie finally figured out how to take a penalty shot :rolleyes:

He was the only one of the three to elevate his shot.

Spot the new bandwagon fans in DC last night. Ovechkin scores 2 in regulation and another in the shootout and a couple of hundred idiots start throwing hats on the ice thinking he has the hat-trick :rolleyes:

I made it back to DC for the home opener against the Leafs. I don't think I've ever been to a game with more bandwagon fans in my life, I was pretty disappointed.

Well considering the Verizon Center was barely half full when Ovechkin first got there, ill take all the bandwagoners. Given time, some of them will become real fans.

Im surprised Ovie finally figured out how to take a penalty shot :rolleyes:

No kidding. Normally he stick handles and leg kicks his way right into the goalies lap, and then tries to go backhand. You have a 900 mph snap shot, use it!!

Michael Nylander has agreed to be sent to the Grand Rapid Griffins in the AHL. It's for a conditioning stint, so he still counts toward the caps 23 man roster and salary cap.

Per Tarik over at the post, some KHL teams have expressed some interest but are worried about his conditioning, so he has gone there to get gametime, with a view to a move at some stage.

As of yet there is still no deal in place, but it looks like Nylander himself realizes that he has to do something. Wonder if he has any aspirations on making the Swedish team, even as a backup/injury type so will go to russia to get ice time?

Maybe too little too late from all parties. Caps have handled this terribly in my opinion and Nylander has said and done all the right things, so I don't begrudge him anything, even if he doesn't waive his no movement clause

Went to see the Bears tonight, Alzner and Carlson both had off nights, as did Neuvirth. Fleischman played but was obviously rusty. You can't put too much into one game but I wouldn't be expecting much help from the group down here unless they all step up in a big way.

Quintin Laing is isolated with Swine Flu

Boyd Gordon is still out with back issues

Tomas Fleischmann has been reactivated and Boudreau has confirmed he will be in the lineup tonight against the Thrashers

Giroux has been returned to Hershey

Varly starting tonight

Lines look to be

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

Laich-Morrison-Knuble

Fleischmann-Aucoin-Clark

Sloan-Steckel-Bradley

Anyone know when Semin is coming back from a vacation?

Second Tuesday of next week. I'm tired of all this stick infractions. You'd think he'd learn.

I actually don't mind them. He's one of the leaders in takeaways because he goes for the puck every time. He tries to pickpocket everyone. And the PK has been SO much better this year compared to last.

PS. Flash is a beast.

PPS. Nylander waived by the Capitals.

From Hockeybuzz:

'Nylander Finally Placed on Waivers

Possible suitors: Detroit, Colorado, NY Isles, Coyotes and Edmonton(yup, even them).

Though Nyls is not likely to be picked up on this round, this move likely indicates that the Caps are ready to eat half of Nylander's salary and that there is another team waiting to take him on re-entry. Now, this isn't a for sure thing, but pushing Nylander's contract off of the total cap hit will make the Capitals one of the most dangerous Buyers in the NHL.

I do not think that this move signifies that Michael is accepting a deal to Russia or Europe but more likely that one of the injury depleted teams across the league has indicated they will take #92.

Keep in mind that Michael had to give his "OK" to this move, so it must mean there is something on the table that interests both the team and Nylander.

Either way, this officially spells the end of Nylander's tumultuous times in DC.

Good luck Michael, wherever you end up!'

Also heard that if he isn't picked up on the 1st go around, he would be going to Europe. If the Caps can get off the hook for his full salary... wow. They can finally bring up some of their young Dmen and possibly sign Foppa or some other UFA towards the deadline for a serious push for the cup.

Also heard that if he isn't picked up on the 1st go around, he would be going to Europe. If the Caps can get off the hook for his full salary... wow. They can finally bring up some of their young Dmen and possibly sign Foppa or some other UFA towards the deadline for a serious push for the cup.

I went to a Bears game a couple weeks ago and wouldn't put too much hope into those young d-men for this season. Obviously one game isn't a good indicator of overall performance, but they certainly didn't stand out at the AHL level.

I went to a Bears game a couple weeks ago and wouldn't put too much hope into those young d-men for this season. Obviously one game isn't a good indicator of overall performance, but they certainly didn't stand out at the AHL level.

Well I don't expect Alzner to really stand out. That's not really his game, he's no puck moving Dman or big nasty hitter. He has a nice all around game without too many weakness's. He's played at the NHL level and is more than capable. Carlson on the other hand could really use this full year in the AHL. He's still getting used to the grind and travel of the Pro game. Pothier, Jurcina, Morrisonn and Sloan are all UFAs. Id expect to see two of them walk.