Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackIce

Graf Skates - Few NHL Players

I've been using Graf skates for the last 9 months and love them. I am just wondering why we don't see more NHL players and OHL players using these skates? My only guess is that because they are a smaller company they can't afford big sponsorship deals etc. I find that for the consumer that wants a well made skate they are the best. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

They have been passed, if not lapped, by the competition when it comes to the technology of making skates and they do very little marketing. Right now it is more important to have good marketing than it is to have a good product.

Grafs don't have a monopoly on well made skates.

Their technology lags far behind other companies, they're still focusing on traditional construction and only now starting to use more modern materials. Their thing is fit, not performance, and for NHL players who get their skates custom made anyway, it's not a big deal at all.

You do see a lot of NHL refs in them though, since many of them like the all black skate.

Also, I don't think they do player endorsements at all. They do seem to have a lot of players in their footbeds though.

http://www.grafcanada.com/hockey/pro_hockey_players.php

I have also seen a lot of NHL refs than players using Grafs. I have always wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to this. (ie. discounts, special fittings, or sponsorship) I thought that this always said something positive about the brand because the refs are still top notch skaters, just less bias based on money in sponsorship changing hands.

I went to Grafs (Ultra G3) from one of the more advanced newer skate 1300c eastons, and have to say I am very impressed with both fit and performance. Not to mention I don't think they will explode like my eastons.

To me its a marketing issue and the big guys through alot of cash and skates around

Graf doesn't pay anyone to use their products from what i've been told, and their skates are for the most part, arguably the most comfortable boot you can own.

I would probably say that refs wear them for the discreet colour schemes and the comfort more than anything.

I have also seen a lot of NHL refs than players using Grafs. I have always wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to this. (ie. discounts, special fittings, or sponsorship) I thought that this always said something positive about the brand because the refs are still top notch skaters, just less bias based on money in sponsorship changing hands.

A lot of refs coming up through the system are told to buy graf skates because they are "ref" skates. There is a lot of emphasis put on appearance by the officials that review your performance as you move up the ranks. Without their approval, you never get to a point where the NHL will see you. By that time a lot of guys have bought in to the concept and others have just become comfortable in the skates.

and their skates are for the most part, arguably the most comfortable boot you can own.

Not really. They are a pain in the ass to break in and the quality control has been suspect (at best) for a number of years now. Graf Canada has been living off their reputation for a long time.

They have been passed, if not lapped, by the competition when it comes to the technology of making skates and they do very little marketing. Right now it is more important to have good marketing than it is to have a good product.

There is a collaboration between good marketing that can drive good product further while there is no good marketing that can save a bad product.

There is an Alberta connection between Graf skates and NHL officials that increases the number of Graf skates worn by NHL officials. Comfort is king but so is knowing someone on the inside.

There is a collaboration between good marketing that can drive good product further while there is no good marketing that can save a bad product.

There is an Alberta connection between Graf skates and NHL officials that increases the number of Graf skates worn by NHL officials. Comfort is king but so is knowing someone on the inside.

Are you insinuating that Graf is a bad product?

Today at Thrashers practice I noticed that Anssi Salmela uses Grafs/Supras. I only noticed this because the design of the skates he had looked completely different from what I'm used to seeing.

No. If it was a bad product, do you think so many NHL officials would be wearing Graf skates?

Retail product and custom pro product are very different things. Quite frequently the retail product is bad, much more so than other brands.

Very pleased with my G3 Supra's. They are pro returns from Avery when he was in his first stint with the Rangers. They happened to be the right fit for me. When I got back to the game early this year I about died seeing how expensive equipment was now. I hunted around to find some G3's after trying on a pair and liking them. I got them for about 1/2 of what they'd be new in the retail version. Now I'm turning into a gear whore thanks to MSH...

No. If it was a bad product, do you think so many NHL officials would be wearing Graf skates?

All i know is a skate that fits me correctly & comfortably will help my skating. Not sure that a good skate will help an official make better calls. ;)

I think people like to put GRAF down because they do not put forth the marketing hype and all the BS that NikeBauerMicrosoft throws at the consumer, specifically the younger audience.... i mean go o any rink and how many kids are wearing Vapors???? 70%? Was watching my Arenas league team and of about 20 kids on the ice I'd say 15 of them were in Vapor

Personally I think all skates should be at least 85% black.

Graf doesn't pay anyone to use their products from what i've been told, and their skates are for the most part, arguably the most comfortable boot you can own.

I would probably say that refs wear them for the discreet colour schemes and the comfort more than anything.

They all have that little piece of flare (green triangle), that the only reason that I pick them out. Really nothing compare to other brands. I have also seen a few refs in one90s or one95s. I guess they are discreet enough. I feel like I see more of the linemen's skates than players on TV with all of the puck drops.

I have been skating in 705s for the last 5yrs and I wouldn't say they are all that comfortable. I have a few pressure points and have to be careful how I lace them up because the ankle padding is minimal. They are the only skates that I have been able to get decent heel lock for my foot (wide heel and narrow forefoot). I will definitely go with a skate with more padding and depth the next time around.

Hey JR, what % of the kids in your rink wear Bauer? I mean the St. Pete Times Forum rink.

Last I heard, Bauer skates were approaching 70% in the NHL. Pros must have bought into the marketing.

I think people like to put GRAF down because they do not put forth the marketing hype and all the BS that NikeBauerMicrosoft throws at the consumer, specifically the younger audience.... i mean go o any rink and how many kids are wearing Vapors???? 70%? Was watching my Arenas league team and of about 20 kids on the ice I'd say 15 of them were in Vapor

can you imagne what it'll be like if warrior starts making skates? lol

can you imagne what it'll be like if warrior starts making skates? lol

I would imagine the holders will have spinners or something like that, but we're going off topic.

+1 on the BAUER, the 70% pros wearing them... hey.. good enough for me

can you imagne what it'll be like if when[/w] warrior starts making skates? lol

Fixed that and they will have altered their style a bit by then. You can only run that style of advertising so long before it burns out.

If you're looking for a comfortable, traditionally made skate ,(that will outlast almost anything high end), other manufacturers have on the market, Graf is the way to go. You won't get a skate that is lighter than anyone else's but they will perform as well as almost anything else out there. Graf seems to fit in a niche that appeals more to traditionalists, just guys that are looking for a well made skate that don't want to worry about the newest fads or gimmicks and just want something that they can stick with for an extended duration of time. Their best feature is the different fits they can provide in their lines of skates for all the different foot types and also provide custom made fits on top of all that. The difference with a company like Bauer is they have a general foot mould that seems to fit most foot types. They carry these generalized moulds in two different lines of skates which makes them easy to mass produce and capitilize on them with extensive advertising and endorsement contracts, from players in the professional hockey leagues. More exposure hence more sales. It does'nt mean their the best, just that their the most popular.

If you're looking for a comfortable, traditionally made skate ,(that will outlast almost anything high end), other manufacturers have on the market, Graf is the way to go. You won't get a skate that is lighter than anyone else's but they will perform as well as almost anything else out there. Graf seems to fit in a niche that appeals more to traditionalists, just guys that are looking for a well made skate that don't want to worry about the newest fads or gimmicks and just want something that they can stick with for an extended duration of time. Their best feature is the different fits they can provide in their lines of skates for all the different foot types and also provide custom made fits on top of all that. The difference with a company like Bauer is they have a general foot mould that seems to fit most foot types. They carry these generalized moulds in two different lines of skates which makes them easy to mass produce and capitilize on them with extensive advertising and endorsement contracts, from players in the professional hockey leagues. More exposure hence more sales. It does'nt mean their the best, just that their the most popular.

If Graf didn't screw up as many skates as they get right, I might agree with you. However their lack of quality control and piss poor customer service make them a very bad choice for most people.