Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Oh, you were so sick yesterday that you couldn't get off the floor of your bathroom, and now you are sitting in your office making sounds like someone is disemboweling you? No, no, you just hang out here, you probably are fine and not sick at all.

GO HOME! :angry:

• Like 2

The gym's proprietary software has been on the fritz for 3 weeks.  On top of that, we are now down to one computer at the front desk because another employee fried the other one by turning it off/on rapidly a bunch of times.

Played the dirty team last night in mens league.  I don't know what happen to this team a few years ago they used to be skilled and we would play some good fast games.  Over the years they haven't had many player changes, but they just got so much dirtier to play against.  The constant slashing, hooking and cross checking.  We are talking the puck is no where near you and you catch a slash to the back of the leg.  

Last night I went into the corner for a puck and I boxed a guy out, and he cross checks me from behind.  I drew the penalty, but he was complaining to the ref asking why I wasn't getting a penalty.  He ended up getting an extra 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike.  Same player in the 3rd period just went at my player for a hit mind you this is a no check league.  Hands up and his hands/ stick made the most contact with my teammates head.

The whole team was complaining to the refs and telling them to do their job better and the game wouldn't have gotten out of hand. but to tell you the truth if they called the game tighter that team would have had way more penalties than they had.

For reference in a 24 game season last winter this team had 279 penalty minutes the second dirtiest team in the league had 244 all of the other teams where under 180.  So this team is getting 100+ more penalty minutes than almost every other team in this league.  Its at the point where I don't want to play against them anymore.  I wish the guy who runs the league would kick them out, but that would only leave us with 5 teams which wouldn't be fun.

Sorry for the long rant enjoy your day!

Southwest Air in San Diego went to the horrible DIY kiosk check-in, similar to what AA has. So now instead of waiting in one line, you get to wait in two. At least with AA the kiosks are in a row. At the Southwest check-in they're all staggered so everyone is tripping all over each other the whole time. What a clusterf*ck! 

And of course the kiosks can't accommodate the "hockey bag plus sticks count as one item" thing so I had to just print my two tags. Get to the counter to drop off the bags and tell the woman I need another tag printed. She tries to make me pay $75 for the "extra" bag. Argued with her for a few minutes until she called over her supervisor to tell her I'm correct. 

I really do not miss travel one bit. This is the first time I've been on a plane since I broke my ankle and switched jobs while in a cast. Ecstatic that my destination is Winterfest, but man... I do not miss doing this one bit. 

Couldn't make it to winterfest. My older dog was in really bad shape at the end of the week and may not make it past his vet visit on Tuesday. In the meantime, one of the cats had to be put down this morning. Blood tests showed kidney failure and there wasn't anything that they could do. She was nothing but skin and bones and had no energy at all. 

On the plus side, we squeezed in a band rehearsal today and Simon got to have people come over to see him one more time. 

• Like 1

Pets are part of the family and it's always difficult to see them pass on. You were missed at Winterfest, but I'd also want to be with my pets in that situation.

Edited by althoma1

players that don't take any consideration to the fact that I have to handle their jerseys after their time on the roster ends.

It's bad enough that I'm dealing with human sweat and sometimes blood... but tonight I had to drive home, an hour in a snow storm, suffocating in the stench of the 1970's ass HAI KARATE cologne this old son of a bitch apparently bathed in.

Cheap fragrances aside- cologne on game day... we're playing hockey, not rolling into a fucking nightclub trying to smash some cougars.

• Like 6

A new job may be on the horizon but it almost surely means I won't be playing in my Friday night league, big bummer for me as most of us are all the original squad and started in the beginner league. 

How hard is it to manage adult hockey leagues?  Seriously.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even Wile E Coyote.  But I'm constantly amazed with the ineptitude, idiocy, and indifference of league directors.

I just got a text from my MONDAY league captain saying that the director is pissed off that we can't play tonight (Wednesday), because he wants to have the best of 3 finals done by the end of the year.  We have never played on any night but Monday.  There would be no reason for us to expect to play on any night but Monday.  (I already have a playoff game in a different rink tonight)  But he says he "scheduled" it.  It's not on the website, or on Pointstreak (none of the playoff schedule is).  He didn't tell us on Monday when we won the semi (he wasn't there).  If one of our players didn't work at that rink and notice it was on the daily schedule board, we never would have known.  If you want to play on other nights to get the game in, fine.  But post the full schedule in advance, on the league website, and let someone know.  It's really not that hard.  And this is the "good" director compared to the ones at the other rinks I play in.

Grrrr.  And I just got a text from my Wednesday captain that I play goal for.  He wants to know if I would play out tonight instead (I'm a B-level defenseman, this is a middle-C league) because he found out the team we are playing (who went 14-1 this season) is bringing B league players (who are likely ineligible).  They have brought these guys in the past, and were not stopped then (we lost 5-2 and they had all 5 goals).  So if we want to win and make the final, we will have to bring ringers of our own.  Again, how hard is it to watch a game and see that there are guys who don't belong, and may or may not be on the roster, and tell the team they can't play anymore?

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, chippa13 said:

As I always say in situations like that, "If the t-shirt is that important to you then you can have it."

I don't disagree, I tend to not participate in the "arms race".  But I'm also a team guy, so if that's what the team wants and how I can help , fine.  I did switch and play D.  And we did win, against their 3 B players and now surprise B goalie (who was not their goalie all season).  We have another good player that subs sometimes.  And he didn't want to play down in this league so much, just like I don't like playing down.  But he's friends with all of the ringers this other team brought.  When he found out all of them and now the goalie were playing, he wanted to play.  The thing is that neither he or I will skate 100% and dominate the game like a lot of other ringers, and the guys on the other team, do.  We play defense, neutralize their B players, and then let our C guys play their C guys and see who wins.  I don't take the puck end to end or skate all around their players, and neither does he, even though we both could.  We make defensive plays, retrieve the puck, and then pass it to someone else.

The point still remains that this is an easy thing to fix with a competent director. There's just no reason to let guys that obviously don't belong in a division to play.  At the very least, you can let the team know he can't play next season in that division.  So if other teams complain, they will know it's handled rather than trying to find their own ringer.

Edited by psulion22

And now for the trifecta, I just got a text from the captain of the team at the third rink I play at (this one is the Panthers practice rink and HQ) that our 6:45 game on Sunday, has been rescheduled to 11 pm.  To boot, no one was told of the change.  One of our subs looked at the schedule and saw the 11 o'clock game, and asked if we needed him like we usually do for late games.  If he hadn't checked, we would not have known.  I'm seriously frustrated and perplexed by the overall imcompetence that's going on.  If I screwed around with my paying customers this way, I'd be fired.

• Like 2

An EMT at my company died on Tuesday, and we're not a large company, so it's been a disconcerting week for everyone.  I'd worked with him only a few times, but  as a person, I feel for his family - he was very young, only 29 - and on top of that, as an EMT, I feel for his regular partner.  My regular partner and I, it's not even as if we're good friends, but I can't imagine waking up after a 12 hour shift to find out he's dead.  It's awful.  And it's so surreal to see all his shifts pop up available on the shift scheduler - like a ghost.

On 12/16/2016 at 0:18 PM, psulion22 said:

And now for the trifecta, I just got a text from the captain of the team at the third rink I play at (this one is the Panthers practice rink and HQ) that our 6:45 game on Sunday, has been rescheduled to 11 pm.  To boot, no one was told of the change.  One of our subs looked at the schedule and saw the 11 o'clock game, and asked if we needed him like we usually do for late games.  If he hadn't checked, we would not have known.  I'm seriously frustrated and perplexed by the overall imcompetence that's going on.  If I screwed around with my paying customers this way, I'd be fired.

Last week we had a game on Thursday at 10:30.  We get there and they are working on the ice because the junior team that practiced before is destroyed it.  At 11pm they canceled the game and we go home pissed.  The league manager emails me and the other captain and says" "do you want to play Sunday at 9:45."  We say yes and make plans to play.  There are lots of emails between us but the league manager never responds to anything.  We get to the rink that Sunday night and the game is not on the schedule!  Both teams are pissed but the manager takes about 35 minutes to respond.  They let us on the ice to scrimmage and she says sorry....  and then I get admonished the next day for yelling at the staff - which I did not do!!  Her communication isn't bad, it is non existent!!!  So pissed. We make up the game tomorrow.  I hope.

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 6:17 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Last week we had a game on Thursday at 10:30.  We get there and they are working on the ice because the junior team that practiced before is destroyed it.  At 11pm they canceled the game and we go home pissed.  The league manager emails me and the other captain and says" "do you want to play Sunday at 9:45."  We say yes and make plans to play.  There are lots of emails between us but the league manager never responds to anything.  We get to the rink that Sunday night and the game is not on the schedule!  Both teams are pissed but the manager takes about 35 minutes to respond.  They let us on the ice to scrimmage and she says sorry....  and then I get admonished the next day for yelling at the staff - which I did not do!!  Her communication isn't bad, it is non existent!!!  So pissed. We make up the game tomorrow.  I hope.

Did the manager fix the issue? 

1 hour ago, Goonsquad said:

Did the manager fix the issue? 

After waiting for 45 minutes we finally heard from her and she let us skate in a scrimmage that night but at 10:15 and not 9:45.  Then reschedule the game for the next week.

• Like 1

On Monday at work I was missing 80% of my staff. So I had one front line guy working cases and calling clinics about issues with patients lab work (I work in a preanalytical department for a medical laboratory doing problem resolution). 

So I figure as the boss it's my duty to jump in and help him so he's not overwhelmed. I also had to do all my supervisory duties.

I come in today to check the numbers from the day before come to find out I worked twice as many cases as my employee did and resolved ten times as many cases.

I'd accept a slight discrepancy but we're talking 47 vs 105 here. I've had problems with his productivity before. I just can't find a way to light a fire under this guy. I just want to hook him up to something that will zap him when he starts getting sidetracked or slows down. He does great work, but he moves like molasses.

• Like 1

As a general rule, we don't really like to involve PD on calls (I work on an EMS unit that handles solely involuntary psych holds from within the community).  But there's times when there's a safety issue and we do want/need/call them in, and they take forever to show up.  If the caseworker and dispatch says "we have an actively homicidal, floridly psychotic patient who needs to go to the hospital", it would be really nice if they could get there in less than, say, 45 minutes.   (guess whose patient eloped into the neighborhood while we were waiting?  yeah.)  I get that they're not really trained for this, and you run the risk of escalating a situation by involving police, but all we want to do is get this kid to the hospital safely.