Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

9 hours ago, EJB said:

UPS slew footed me today.  Ordered the Little One a new bucket today, hers has been hurting her head(ask me Sunday to open it up, but it was maxed).  I order, assure a delivery date for today & get weather.(snow here in the West, not nuts here...that's relative)  Package is here(20 minute drive for me to pick up) at 6:01 this morning (arrival scan).  Before 12:00, when not on truck for delivery, I inquired as if I could just come to pick up, they tell me "still in transit".  I say, no, it's 20 miles from my house and I'll grab it, they say no "it's stilll in transit". Well, 15 hours later it's still in transit and the Bug gets on a plane tomorrow to play...and UPS didn't provide a service I paid for, nor did you attempt to work with me to go half way.

Did you get it? UPS is normally pretty good with my packages, but that's in a town of 60K less than an hour out of NYC.

On 2017-01-05 at 8:21 PM, EJB said:

UPS slew footed me today.  Ordered the Little One a new bucket today, hers has been hurting her head(ask me Sunday to open it up, but it was maxed).  I order, assure a delivery date for today & get weather.(snow here in the West, not nuts here...that's relative)  Package is here(20 minute drive for me to pick up) at 6:01 this morning (arrival scan).  Before 12:00, when not on truck for delivery, I inquired as if I could just come to pick up, they tell me "still in transit".  I say, no, it's 20 miles from my house and I'll grab it, they say no "it's stilll in transit". Well, 15 hours later it's still in transit and the Bug gets on a plane tomorrow to play...and UPS didn't provide a service I paid for, nor did you attempt to work with me to go half way.

On 2017-01-06 at 5:56 AM, Jamarquan said:

Did you get it? UPS is normally pretty good with my packages, but that's in a town of 60K less than an hour out of NYC.

I've always had trouble with UPS for delivery to my home. Also, in Canada they add brokerage fees etc., so we try to use USPS / Canada Post as much as possible.

13 hours ago, ktang said:

I've always had trouble with UPS for delivery to my home. Also, in Canada they add brokerage fees etc., so we try to use USPS / Canada Post as much as possible.

Oh. That's unfortunate.

5 hours ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

My parents have totally knifed me in the back. Thank F**k I'm leaving this country. 

What happened?

13 hours ago, ktang said:

Oh. That's unfortunate.

5 hours ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

My parents have totally knifed me in the back. Thank F**k I'm leaving this country. 

What happened?

Super stressed by everything right now (bad calls, preparing for medic school) and feeling like I have no outlets or anyone to talk to.  :(  I mean I have a therapist but it'd be great to converse with someone who isn't a coworker, floridly psychotic, or under the age of six.

I thought this was projected to be a great (cold) winter?  I haven't bothered to fill my rink, and 10 day forcast doesn't look promising. 40's + on and off, no consistent below freezing temps.  

• Like 1

So in my inline league everyone has one bye week. This is the third time in a row they've given us the first week bye. But this season they gave us another bye on the last week of the season and scheduled us for two games on one Wednesday at 8:50pm and 10:40pm. Wtf.

• Like 1

My vent is girl drama.  F girl drama.
I have to say that I've had a very, very lucky run of coaching girls--5 years of volleyball and now 3 years of hockey before having to deal with significant girl drama, but it's still a colossal pain in the F'ing ass.  I hope that I can work this through to a positive resolution.  I really like all the girls on the team, but they're making stupid decisions and treating each other like shit, including my own kid.

Why can't females be more like dudes and just punch each other and be friends again and go on with life?

On 1/9/2017 at 1:31 PM, badger_14 said:

Super stressed by everything right now (bad calls, preparing for medic school) and feeling like I have no outlets or anyone to talk to.  :(  I mean I have a therapist but it'd be great to converse with someone who isn't a coworker, floridly psychotic, or under the age of six.

Just saw this, but feel free to message me or I'll send you my digits if you want to vent to a fellow hockey player and you don't have to interact with in your daily life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MThockeydad said:

My vent is girl drama.  F girl drama.
I have to say that I've had a very, very lucky run of coaching girls--5 years of volleyball and now 3 years of hockey before having to deal with significant girl drama, but it's still a colossal pain in the F'ing ass.  I hope that I can work this through to a positive resolution.  I really like all the girls on the team, but they're making stupid decisions and treating each other like shit, including my own kid.

Why can't females be more like dudes and just punch each other and be friends again and go on with life?

Just saw this, but feel free to message me or I'll send you my digits if you want to vent to a fellow hockey player and you don't have to interact with in your daily life.

Doesn't end well either way. In any case, don't do what I did and threaten to fight my friend's entire team at a tournament they got DQ'd from. 

• Like 1

People in my school complaining that having a 3.5 GPA is trash, meanwhile I sit about a point below that. I would possibly kill someone for a 3.5. Also, midterms are hard.

I feel very shitty though that my biggest problems are from high school meanwhile other people are having surprise surgery, lost loved ones, etc. 

Edited by Jamarquan
Changed 'kind of' to 'very'.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

People in my school complaining that having a 3.5 GPA is trash, meanwhile I sit about a point below that. I would possibly kill someone for a 3.5. Also, midterms are hard.

I feel very shitty though that my biggest problems are from high school meanwhile other people are having surprise surgery, lost loved ones, etc. 

Just because some people face horrible tragedies doesn't negate what you feel and go through.

Also, don't listen to those people TALKING About 3.5 being awful. 3.4 is good. I had a horrible GPA in high school because I never did my homework. Not to advocate taking such a course, but I've done just fine for myself.

Hang in there and don't let the bastards grind you down. 

Edit: Sorry, long day. Just realized you may have meant you're at 2.5, which is about what I skated by at. Either way, same advice applies. Don't give up, and don't pay the jerks any mind.

Edited by kmfdm86
  • Like 2

No homework for me either. Not even that I don't bother to, I just forget way too easily. Granted, some kids' parents have stupid expectations. A friend of mine's parents want him to drop out of Harvard after sophmore year, start a business, and retire at or before 40. It's just insane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I was a career 2-2.5 GPA guy in high school and college.  I was lazy and would not do any homework, but I did well on tests and retained the information well. That being said I went to a community college (Purdue University commuter campus).

I am successful in my career (civil engineering/land surveying) and honestly the GPA has never mattered when I was trying to begin my career or move to another company.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlt73 said:

I was a career 2-2.5 GPA guy in high school and college.  I was lazy and would not do any homework, but I did well on tests and retained the information well. That being said I went to a community college (Purdue University commuter campus).

I am successful in my career (civil engineering/land surveying) and honestly the GPA has never mattered when I was trying to begin my career or move to another company.

Same as you with tests. 

28 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I didn't finish high school at all.

Huh.  

5 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

No homework for me either. Not even that I don't bother to, I just forget way too easily. Granted, some kids' parents have stupid expectations. A friend of mine's parents want him to drop out of Harvard after sophmore year, start a business, and retire at or before 40. It's just insane.

I had that exact problem. I was disorganized and would legitimately forget I had homework. 

Maybe it's an opportunity to learn what type of personal organization and reminders work for you. It's an important skill that you will benefit from for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

I had that exact problem. I was disorganized and would legitimately forget I had homework. 

Maybe it's an opportunity to learn what type of personal organization and reminders work for you. It's an important skill that you will benefit from for the rest of your life.

I never did homework, period. My personal rule was "if it doesnt get done in class, then it doesnt get done". Sometimes not an issue as for something like math I'd just do it all while the teacher was rambling. I'd usually ace the exams though. Since the weighting for exams was always higher than for homework, I'd pass with a grade in the 70s typically. 

But then half way through the semester I'd lose interest and just stop going. I failed 12th grade English three times because I just didn't like going. I loved highschool, except for the class part. I loved hanging out with friends playing euchre in the cafeteria. 

I'm currently 12th grade english + 1 other credit shy of a highschool diploma. 

21 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I never did homework, period. My personal rule was "if it doesnt get done in class, then it doesnt get done". Sometimes not an issue as for something like math I'd just do it all while the teacher was rambling. I'd usually ace the exams though. Since the weighting for exams was always higher than for homework, I'd pass with a grade in the 70s typically. 

But then half way through the semester I'd lose interest and just stop going. I failed 12th grade English three times because I just didn't like going. I loved highschool, except for the class part. I loved hanging out with friends playing euchre in the cafeteria. 

I'm currently 12th grade english + 1 other credit shy of a highschool diploma. 

I never listen to the teacher in math either. Not as a disrespect thing, but she's often corrected by 15 year olds. Does not inspire confidence and gives me a chance to do the work.  

Honestly, I do like English, but even for the highest level class for my grade the subject matter feels boring, and the teacher doesn't help.

1 hour ago, kmfdm86 said:

I do too, or just procrastinate too much. 

7 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Don't listen to kids freaking out over GPAs.  It's just drama. A GPA is just a factor, not the end of the world (for you or them).  I had basically the same problem with homework - I would forget to do it, then realize I was behind, panic, and give up in despair.  There's a bit of perfectionism behind that for a lot of people- if you aren't going to be perfect every time, why bother at all?  Tests were easier- straightforward, one block of time.  I mean - I'm 30 years old, and I've only recently begun to figure out strategies to improve executive function and also not feel like I am a failure for asking for help.  High school is a nightmare - don't feel bad that it's your vent.  It's important to you and you spend 40 hours a week there.  Eventually, you will emerge (if not victorious per se).

(For practical purposes, I have found that setting aside specific blocks for homework, and rewarding myself- I like stickers personally- when I meet my goals.)

As a high school AP I cannot condone supporting the notion that not graduating HS is ok and that your grades do not matter.  While there are many people who succeed without a diploma or college degree the odds are not in your favor at all.  In fact you stand to lose a tremendous amount of money if you do not graduate HS.  Similarly the higher your degree the more money you are likely to earn.  

ep_chart_001 copy.jpg

So... there is a payoff to doing better.  Is it absolute, no.  Do you need to get a 3.5. No.  But the more competitive the field or graduate school it helps.  Does it matter after your first job or two and after you have established a professional track record - unlikely; but how hard you work and how well you do does matter.

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

As a high school AP I cannot condone supporting the notion that not graduating HS is ok and that your grades do not matter.  While there are many people who succeed without a diploma or college degree the odds are not in your favor at all.  In fact you stand to lose a tremendous amount of money of you do not graduate HS.  Similarly the higher your degree the more money you are likely to earn.  ep_chart_001 copy.jpg

So... there is a payoff to doing better.  Is it absolute, no.  Do you need to get a 3.5. No.  But the more competitive the field or graduate school it helps.  Does it matter after your first job or two and after you have established a professional track record - unlikely; but how hard you work and how well you do does matter.

Completely agree. I'm definitely the exception, not the rule. Stay in school, kids.

• Like 1