Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Finally getting my third (and hopefully last) incisional hernia repaired tomorrow morning. 

Just a very frustrating couple of years dealing with these stupid things.

Planning on being able to return for Summer Jam if things go the way they should.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Welcome to my every Thursday. The real downside is that one of our players has another/better goalie who wants to play with us but the league said no. Our current goalie thinks he is too good for the next level under us and the league won't let us dump him, even though goalies don't pay.

That's just crazy, why would the league not let you dump the guy? I can understand how they wouldn't let you replace him with someone (whether you disagree or not I have no idea on the guys skill) but you should be free to dump whoever you want (unless you play on a house team I guess)

14 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

We were, either, one or two in goals scored throughout the regular season and still finished at .500... we either won, or lost, our games by scores of 8-7, 10-9, etc. we always had to put up high goal counts to have a chance to win. Well, our normal guy was sick and/or out of town for the first three games of the playoffs and we were able to knock out all of the top-seeded teams we played. Our replacement was not a brick wall by any means, but he made the routine saves. Of course, come championship game time, our normal guy says that he is ready to play. You could tell everyone was deflated when they saw him in the locker room pre-game. We went down 1-0 early on a bad goal (weak wrister from the blue line by a defenseman just trying to get a change). We worked our asses off to tie the game before the end of the first. Off the ensuing faceoff, they scored on a short-side, back-hand dribbler from below the goal line... may as well have called the game after that. It was SO demoralizing. Any time we would start to mount a comeback, a bad goal was sure to kill it. Like I said, you don't have to win the game, just don't lose it.

Yea the team I play net for now had this problem. I split time last session with a goalie who was just awful. We missed the playoffs because the 1 game we needed to win he wanted to play net for & we lost 8-7. That was the last straw for everyone & they told him they were going with a different goalie next session. Its not an easy conversation to have but sometimes you gotta do it

1 hour ago, Axxion89 said:

That's just crazy, why would the league not let you dump the guy? I can understand how they wouldn't let you replace him with someone (whether you disagree or not I have no idea on the guys skill) but you should be free to dump whoever you want (unless you play on a house team I guess)

I am currently playing  goal on a B team with half of my team from Fall League because apart from our 6 forfeit losses, we went 13-1(and hadn't lost a game since our first one). The league forcibly split our team into A-only, B-only and Can play Both.  Our A team is 3-0 and our B-team is 3-0 as of this writing. I get the idea of splitting teams up in the interest of fairness, but I'm gonna be mad if I have to go to the team that went 4-12-4 if I have another successful season.  I think it should be a combination of team vote/rink finalization rather than some guy in an office out front of the rink downing 6 Monsters a day deciding to do it on a whim. 

Edit: I personally am 4-0 in games this season(3W in B, 1W in A). 

Edited by Wallzy41

19 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

Got a call like that the other night, inconsistency in the refereeing. I was on the blue line against the boards to prevent a wraparound. Puck did in fact get wrapped around although weakly. I took maybe one step towards the puck and touched it first. This other guy was coming around from the bottom of the faceoff circle and was really pumping to get to the puck. I kept it in the zone, and saw him coming... just lowered myself bracing for the impact. This guy ends up on his ass, and I get called for the penalty for body checking. I told the ref that it was a BS call, and she said "it was a clean hit, but in this league we have to give a penalty for a body check". I told her that the guy ran into me, and that he was the one that was going at speed. I mean how much speed can i generate from one push. 

Still got the 2 min... the coach on our bench went nuts.

That's always rough.  But without seeing it, it's hard to say for sure that it couldn't have been interpreted as you initiating the contact, even though you were defending yourself. It shouldn't matter because he was going to make contact with you, but you got preempted it.   In that situation, it's often whoever initiates the contact that gets called, whether right or worng.  I've been told that if I didn't want to get called, I should have let him hit me instead of leaning towards him.  Some refs also look at that and say his contact was going to be incidental since he was going for the puck, but you intitiated deliberate, avoidable contact on a player without the puck. I've been on both sides of that play, and had it called both ways on each side.  I've also been reffing in those situations and called it both ways.

Even that is a judgement or discretion call.  I don't like when the same thing gets called differently, that's the lack of consistency that causes problems.  But I'll give you an example of what else I'm talking about that has seemed to happen several times lately.  The defensive team has the puck in their zone breaking out.  After the puck crosses the blue line, it hits something - a player, ref, boards, glass, etc - and goes back into the zone where there is still an attacking player.  I have seen this called onside several times.  Once it cost us a goal in a semi-final game.  Another time we got a pretty good scoring chance.  This is not onside.  For the play to be onside while an attacking player is still in the zone, the defending team must carry or pass the puck back into the zone deliberately.  The casebook clearly states that a deflection is not the same as carrying or passing the back back.  It's one of the first things you're taught in referee training.  But I've had multiple refs see this as it happened (they didn't think the puck had not crossed the blueline) and were adamant it was onside.

Edited by psulion22

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

That's always rough.  But without seeing it, it's hard to say for sure that it couldn't have been interpreted as you initiating the contact, even though you were defending yourself. It shouldn't matter because he was going to make contact with you, but you got preempted it.   In that situation, it's often whoever initiates the contact that gets called, whether right or worng.  I've been told that if I didn't want to get called, I should have let him hit me instead of leaning towards him.  Some refs also look at that and say his contact was going to be incidental since he was going for the puck, but you intitiated deliberate, avoidable contact on a player without the puck. I've been on both sides of that play, and had it called both ways on each side.  I've also been reffing in those situations and called it both ways.

I had a ref talk to me once between periods while I was in the box for a body check. He said the act of bracing yourself makes it look like you're the one initiating the contact. whereas the guy who ended up on his ass looks like he wasn't expecting the "hit". Like you said, its totally a perception thing but at that speed (and with the refs as out of position as they often are in low level beer leagues) that's just how it looks to them and is going to get called more often than not. It sucks, but I'll take the penalty. In a collision, one of us is going to go down and I'm sorry, but I'm going to make sure it isn't me. 

Then again, my broken ankle was from a situation where we BOTH went down, and I guess he thought I hit him and went ballistic. So I guess it could go one of a couple ways... 

23 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I had a ref talk to me once between periods while I was in the box for a body check. He said the act of bracing yourself makes it look like you're the one initiating the contact. whereas the guy who ended up on his ass looks like he wasn't expecting the "hit". Like you said, its totally a perception thing but at that speed (and with the refs as out of position as they often are in low level beer leagues) that's just how it looks to them and is going to get called more often than not. It sucks, but I'll take the penalty. In a collision, one of us is going to go down and I'm sorry, but I'm going to make sure it isn't me. 

Then again, my broken ankle was from a situation where we BOTH went down, and I guess he thought I hit him and went ballistic. So I guess it could go one of a couple ways... 

There is an absolutely fantastic example of this at the NHL level.  Go find the game footage from the Winter Classic between Washington and Chicago a few years back.  Jonathan Toews takes a hooking penalty late in the game, and Washington scores the winning goal on the ensuing PP.  I'm sure most people remember it.  On tv, it looked like possibly the softest call in the history of the NHL.  The commentators went off on it.  The guys in the studio after the game went off on it.  It was a tied game, and it didn't even look like Toews touched the Caps player (I forget who).  It was awful, or so most non-Caps fans thought.  But what was great was that the NHL had started releasing compilations of refs' helmet cam footage from the week.  Go find that footage for the WC, this play is in it.  It's a hook, clear as day.  It's not even questionable from the ref's viewpoint.  But none of could see that perspective.  It comes down to what the ref sees, or doesn't see.  And like you said, low level refs are often in a position where they don't have the best view of things.  Most often, if the ref has an explanation for what he/she saw, and was in the proper position to see it, then it's just a judgement call, oh well. Usually this results in them missing something.  Problems happen when the refs start to make calls they did or didn't see because they were out of position, or incorrectly apply the rules to what they did see.

3 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-31%20at%201.16.1

Well its official now.  Maybe they will bring in the Islanders to replace them since they will be homeless soon.

Don't try it.

42 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Just move them to Quebec City. 

Don't try that either. It's right below Code Kermit on the Islanders Fan Drama Advisory Alert System.

qrb8G2A.gif

Edited by Jamarquan

On 1/30/2017 at 10:53 AM, strosedefence34 said:

The Albany Devils (AHL) are most likely packing their bags for Binghamton.  Its a huge bummer for the hockey fans.  I live about 15 minute walk from where they play so my wife and I as well as bunch of people would always go and heckle the other goalie.  It was always something fun to do.  I end up going to around 20 games a season.  There is talk about them bringing in another professional team, but I don't think its going to be hockey.

that sucks... Guess you'll have to bring back the River Rats.   (I had a lot of friends, and my now wife went to Albany U) lots of good times up there, and i think we even saw a few of those River Rat games...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

that sucks... Guess you'll have to bring back the River Rats.   (I had a lot of friends, and my now wife went to Albany U) lots of good times up there, and i think we even saw a few of those River Rat games...

Albany is a great little city.  I hated it when I first came to college, but now after being here for over 10 years its really grown on me.  Although thanks to the Devils now our winter fun is coming to an end.

11 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Albany is a great little city.  I hated it when I first came to college, but now after being here for over 10 years its really grown on me.  Although thanks to the Devils now our winter fun is coming to an end.

I enjoyed my college years in Albany.  Wish we had a team when I was there.

• Like 2

Well, I just got back from the post office to ship a girdle first class to Toronto from southeast Pennsylvania. The cost? $36.50. Thirty six frickin' fifty. Canada is now officially on my no-ship list until freight companies decide to stop being extortionists. In addition, I'm reasonably sure the Popeye's I had afterwards gave me food poisoning. Also, as speaking as a forever alone, today is like the first day of winter (screw cold weather), Black Friday, and Hitler's birthday all rolled into one.

Lastly, I decided to bitch about all of this on a hockey forum on the Internet.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

• Like 1

So I've apparently had the flu all week.  Just left the doctors office, I went because I was concerned I was developing bronchitis or pneumonia. Guess that explains the low grade fever and chills...

I know that feels bro.

both my wife and I got sick at almost the exact same time today. Both fever and coughing after feeling pretty good all day. 

Just another reason I don't miss flying all the time... 

My dad is still recovering from knee replacement, and now my mom is in the hospital with pneumonia for an undetermined number of days (she also has cancer, which she is on chemo for).  Oh, and my dad is getting his other knee done in about a week, and then he'll be in the hospital for 3-4 days.

At least there's no snow forecast over the next week.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, Jamarquan said:

Chromebooks. Who thought they were a good idea? At least I didn't pay for it.

They served their purpose. My son's school puts everything on the Google platform (calendar, work assignments etc) so it works. Cost less than half of what a typical laptop would have cost, and so far lasted 2.5 years. Its on its last legs, but at least my son is making use of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatwabbit said:

They served their purpose. My son's school puts everything on the Google platform (calendar, work assignments etc) so it works. Cost less than half of what a typical laptop would have cost, and so far lasted 2.5 years. Its on its last legs, but at least my son is making use of it.

A "typical laptop" can actually cost the same as a Chromebook, with the benefits of Windows 10 and access to the Google suite. The fact that it's wifi only drives me insane, especially as it has trouble working with the router when nothing else does. 

My school does make everything on the Google platform, and by everything I mean Google Drive. I understand the concept, I just don't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C300SA-Compact-Intel-Celeron/dp/B01MG696PV/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-11-6-inch-Quad-Core-Microsoft-Subscription/dp/B01LT692RK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, IPv6Freely said:

American Airlines

ALL airlines. Unless you can afford Emirates. Based on their commercials though you need Jennifer Aniston money (or need to look like Jennifer Aniston)

On 2/3/2017 at 5:45 PM, Jamarquan said:

Chromebooks. Who thought they were a good idea? At least I didn't pay for it.

They have their selling points as others have mentioned, but to me... There's gotta be a reason most of the inventory of them at my work (let's call this workplace "Good Sale," and with a little thinking and imagination, you can figure out the real name) are returned, and are now lower priced as open-box.