Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

I agree, though usually the non-domestic dealers are a bit better. BMW, Porsche and Volvo have treated us extremely well. In fact Porsche scratched my car the last time I was there and they repaired it, no questions asked. Showed them a photo and it was "bring it in and we'll take care of it". You can actually tell what the service will be like when you buy the car initially, in my opinion. In the case of BMW and Porsche they don't even try to sell you anything. Just a different mindset altogether. 

I expected a lot more out of Mercedes Benz. It's just been fight after fight with incompetent service people. In this case, we had a flat tire. They didn't have a matching tire in stock so they told us all four needed replacing anyway so they could put a different brand on there. Then we saw the paperwork when we went to pick it up... the other three tires were still 7/32 on the non-flat front tire and 6/32 on both rears. Suddenly the "why are you putting a different brand on?" question we asked a couple days earlier all made sense. Then they tried to convince us that what the tech told them and what the tech wrote down were different. Not. My. Problem. 

Ended up settling with the manager on us keeping the new set of tires at a 50% discount. 

I'm sure some of you are thinking "first world problems", but when a dealer tries to scam you out of $1200 it makes you angry regardless of what manufacturer it is. 

13 hours ago, JSK81 said:

At last week's pick up one of the guys fell into the boards head first. I was on the bench when it happened, didn't see it that well. The others went to see if he's ok and after a moment they yelled for someone to call an ambulance and started performing CPR. Ambulance came fast, the crew started treating him and after a while they took him to the hospital.

A couple of days later I heard he was still on life support with a severe neck injury.

Then came a message that they had woken him from the narcosis and told him that he had suffered a broken C2 and severed spinal cord resulting in quadriplegia and he probably had days, maybe weeks left.

He passed yesterday.

Holy crap dude. That's brutal. I think I'd have a hard time sleeping for quite a while if it was one of my teammates. Very sorry to hear. 

Posts like this make most everything else in this thread sound so unimportant! 

14 hours ago, JSK81 said:

At last week's pick up one of the guys fell into the boards head first. I was on the bench when it happened, didn't see it that well. The others went to see if he's ok and after a moment they yelled for someone to call an ambulance and started performing CPR. Ambulance came fast, the crew started treating him and after a while they took him to the hospital.

A couple of days later I heard he was still on life support with a severe neck injury.

Then came a message that they had woken him from the narcosis and told him that he had suffered a broken C2 and severed spinal cord resulting in quadriplegia and he probably had days, maybe weeks left.

He passed yesterday.

I don't know what I'd do if it were one of my teammates. My condolences. 

The missus decided that I was gonna sit down with her and watch Brigadoon the other night, and then she dragged me to watch the live action version of Beauty and the Beast today... I've had about all I can stomach of musicals for a long while. 

Disclaimer: I actually kind of enjoyed Brigadoon; I don't care if admitting it makes me softer than a tootsie roll fruit cup.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:40 PM, UCMnumber8 said:

... a tootsie roll fruit cup.

I did not know such a thing existed but I need one now!

On topic, my beer league team made the playoffs for the first time in several years and I'll be out of town for work for the whole thing.

I was all set to go back to therapy today (I've been off for many weeks due to needing the time block for other things like errands and doctor's appointments and just having five minutes to rest), things have been tough with some hard patients but I'm holding on alright but - this morning my mom was sick and we had to call the ambulance today, so my dad was freaking out (he gets mad about dumb things when he's worried, which means my mom thinks he's mad at her, and I have to run interference getting things ready and talking to the paramedics) and then instead of going to therapy I had to pick him up from the hospital after work (Which I was late to because of running interference). 

So here we go again.

Since I posted about it in the Sweet Spot, and said I had stuff to vent for those of you who care here goes.

When we moved we wrapped all of our glassware in newspaper we ran our dishwasher which worked fine during the home inspection and the final walk through 4 times and it crapped out.  Its definitely an older model.  No biggy the wife and I want to re-due the kitchen anyway so we can either buy a cheaper one to hold us over or just hand wash.  I vote for hand washing, because seriously its not that bad.

My dad, mom and brother came up to help us with the move.  My dad is a very handy guy, and I have learned most of what I know from him.  We went to change out an outlet in the bedroom because I told him its something I have never done before, and I would prefer if he watched over me and taught me how to do it.  We did one no big deal.  The wiring is a little old, but everything worked.  He told me to go and do the next one by myself and he would watch.  I pulled the outlet out of the wall only to find out there was no metal box surrounding the outlet.  Who ever put the outlet in screwed it to the back stud?  WTF who does that?  We just put that one back in the wall and decided that we wouldn't use it until it gets fixed.  My parents live 4 hours away, and my uncle who has been an electrician his whole life also lives in the same town as my parents has offered to come up with my dad, and take a look at the electrical and fix whats wrong.  All he requires is a place to coffee, beer and a place to sleep (in that order too).  Again no big deal.  Its better than paying someone to do it.

My dad and I installed a floating floor for our laundry closet, and really made it look very nice.  I painted the walls installed some molding.  We really went to town on this closet that you won't be able to see much of.  The wife, and I once we got our closing date went to Home Depot to purchase a washer dryer set.  We had it set to be delivered and installed this past Saturday.  I got the phone call from the delivery company (who is not Home Depot by the way) saying they would be there in a half hour.  An hour goes by.  Hour and half.. 2 hours nothing.  I tried calling the cellphone number of the guy who called me no answer.  They no called no showed me on the delivery.  I called Home Depot and they said there was nothing they could do since the place was closed.  I stopped into the store on Sunday, and they said the same thing, but they would look into it.  I call the delivery company this morning asking when my washer and dryer would be delivered today, and they informed me they do not deliver on Mondays.  I called Home Depot back, and the woman said "yeah they don't".  I told them to cancel my order, and I would just be going with Lowes or another place locally owned.  They didn't even bat an eye or try to do anything to help me out.  Now I am a reasonable guy if the delivery driver called me, and said we can't make it for XYZ reason I would have understood.  If the woman who worked at Home Depot told me they don't deliver on Mondays I would have understood, but for everything to be sprung and surprise me the way they did is just unacceptable.  I went to Lowes on my lunch break, and bought the same models from them.  Lowes does their own deliveries and installs so at least they can't pass the buck if they mess up.  They even price matched it for me.  It doesn't help that I worked for a tech company for a number of years that prided themselves on customer service, and even when the customer was totally wrong they would still do all they could to help the customer.  I am ruined in that sense as far as customer service goes.  I judge company based on that one.  The only upside is I have a few more days to really make the closet look even better.

Thats my rant.  I am still very glad we bought the house.  I am sure there will be more rants in the future, but thanks for reading if you did.

• Like 3

Stupid hospital released my mom. You'd think this would be good, but she very much should be going to rehab.  Alas, she convinced them she can handle stairs so they are sending her home. 

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That warrants a lockdown these days?

Also left a note in the bathroom saying she would try to attempt killing everyone during a specific lunch (our school has multiple lunch 'waves'). I wasn't there, not sure of all details.

Does that not warrant a lockdown to you? (not being condescending)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

School was in lockdown today - somebody tried to pull a knife during lunch.

Back when I was in high school my Junior year (2003-2004) we had 3 bomb threats in 3 days.  The whole school went out to the football field for about 2 hours or so, and then went back to business as usual.  

1 hour ago, strosedefence34 said:

Back when I was in high school my Junior year (2003-2004) we had 3 bomb threats in 3 days.  The whole school went out to the football field for about 2 hours or so, and then went back to business as usual.  

Wow.

As of Tuesday evening, my mom is back in the hospital.  She apparently sort of crumpled when they got back from her chemo appointment, and then the home nurse showed up and called the ambulance.  They're definitely sending her to rehab this time, just looking for a bed.  It's a relief to me and my dad.

I am inching closer to giving my classroom squadmate a come-to-Jesus.  I don't know what he's like in the field, but he's awful at patient assessment, the sort of person who can't see the forest for the trees , and on top of that gets super condescending toward anyone who tries to get a word in edgewise.  (One of our instructors knows him because they work at the same company; I don't think she'd be too too unhappy if I duct-taped his mouth shut for the duration of lab...)

2 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Yea I remember that happening a few times. Was never a big deal, usually just somebody trying to get out of class. Had the fire alarms pulled fairly often too. 

Those bomb threats aren't like today's bomb threats, though. Whole different world back then. 

• Like 1

Product catalogs up on MSH by April 2007: 9

Product catalogs up on MSH by April 2017: 1

What is WRONG with you, Big Hockey? Why won't you let me see your glorious spring releases to keep me warm and toasty over the long, cold winter? I'm a privileged, highly avaricious, materialistic member of the consumer culture and I DEMAND to see all of your shiny new toys before all of the filthy plebs do! WHY MUST YOU TEASE ME ARRRGGGGHHHHH (*throws chair across the room*) THIS AFFECTS ME!!!!!

(I'm only kidding. I suppose it is kind of a bummer, though. Plus there's what, like, 3 companies now?)

Edited by Burning Bear

On 4/1/2017 at 4:43 PM, Burning Bear said:

Product catalogs up on MSH by April 2007: 9

Product catalogs up on MSH by April 2017: 1

What is WRONG with you, Big Hockey? Why won't you let me see your glorious spring releases to keep me warm and toasty over the long, cold winter? I'm a privileged, highly avaricious, materialistic member of the consumer culture and I DEMAND to see all of your shiny new toys before all of the filthy plebs do! WHY MUST YOU TEASE ME ARRRGGGGHHHHH (*throws chair across the room*) THIS AFFECTS ME!!!!!

(I'm only kidding. I suppose it is kind of a bummer, though. Plus there's what, like, 3 companies now?)

Yeah, the game has changed quite a bit.

With the advent of social media, manufacturers like the ability to control the content.  And since I play by the rules, that's why it's so.  Not to mention, companies are releasing later now; which is a good thing for retailers.

I hope to have a big one done in the coming weeks.  We're just trying to work out timing in regards to a couple of products that have a summer launch.

• Like 3

To continue with the whole industry landscape thing, our buyer at work sent us the launch calendar for 2017.

It's an Excel spreadsheet, and we've had it since 2013 - he just keeps on adding new sheets to it.  This includes the entire year - so launches up to December.

2013 - 118 lines

2014  - 114 lines

2015 - 88 lines

2016 - 92 lines

2017 - 45 lines

Donked the ambulance (box-style - usually I drive vanbulances) on a low branch and because it's my second accident I get an involuntary vacation (8 hours).  Ugh.  I feel so ashamed. 

My mother is dying.  MRSA pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia. My dad and I are spending much of our days at the hospital.  All is waiting and despair.