Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Howdy,

8 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

My mother is dying.  MRSA pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia. My dad and I are spending much of our days at the hospital.  All is waiting and despair.

That sucks man.  I hope you and your family can get through these times in the best way possible.  You're in our thoughts.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badger_14 said:

My mother is dying.  MRSA pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia. My dad and I are spending much of our days at the hospital.  All is waiting and despair.

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you and your mother. We're here for you if you need us.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, badger_14 said:

That is rough. Remember to also take care of yourself in this time.

• Like 1

For better or worse, my mom is upgraded to "probably will not die in the next 10 days" but "almost certainly will die within 6 months."

19 hours ago, badger_14 said:

For better or worse, my mom is upgraded to "probably will not die in the next 10 days" but "almost certainly will die within 6 months."

I'm sorry to hear that.  The only good thing about that is you may have more time with her.  Spend as much time as possible with her and take a breath every now and then.

• Like 1

10:45 PM beer league games.  The past 2 Wednesday's, I've had 10:45 PM starts.  Both were running behind, once on the ice at 11:20 PM, the other around 11:10 PM.  Getting home around 1:00 AM and trying to get to sleep to be up at 6:00 AM is rough on an old man like me.

• Like 1

Our times don't change throughout the year. 

I played a 10:15 last night and had a few beers after. Got home at 1:30AM, and woke up at 5 for work. Today should be fun!

Howdy,

One of the upsides of being a programmer that works from home is that later games aren't an issue.  Heck, if anything my gripe is the opposite... Its a lot worse for me to have to leave my family and go play at 7pm.  For later games, they all head to bed and I head out to hockey!  :-)

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

Howdy,

Well, I have an actual venting item.  Two even!  And no, its got nothing to do with helmet ratings... :-)

I don't get guys that feel like they need to fight in beer league.  Tonight in a D league game (here we have B through E) one of our defensemen made a reasonable aggressive move and stepped into a guy, stick on puck, knocking the puck away and knocking the guy down.  Ref later called it a trip.  Good enough.  It really looked more like two average skill guys at best coming together on the ice.

The guy gets up off the ice, throws his gloves down, reaches over the top of our guy's helmet, and pulls it forward off his head.  I can only assume that was so that when he started throwing punches he wouldn't hit his cage.  As this is going on, he gets partially tackled / bear hugged by his own teammate, everyone crashes to the ice, with this idiot still trying to throw punches.  Our guy is now cut on his head, from getting his helmet dragged off.  Refs pretty much just stand back and watch, but the guy's teammate pulls him off, etc.

I just don't get the motivation there.  I mean... I get becoming seriously pissed.  Fine.  Yell at the guy and call him a cocksucker.  Hell, two hand him across the chest in the heat of the moment, whatever.  But if you've got enough rational thought left to intentionally drop the gloves, then recognize that you don't want to punch a cage, then pull the helmet off... Then I'm sorry.  Beer league is not for you and you should no longer have the option to play it.

My next vent occurred about five minutes later.  Everyone had adrenaline up, nobody knows what's going on (this is the first "real fight" I've seen or heard about in this league).  Things seem to be calmed down and the other team's captain is talking to the ref, asks how this is going to work, what the specific penalties are, etc.  The ref apparently takes this as giving him lip or something, but rolls his eyes and disdainfully answers the guy.  We're just about getting ready to drop the puck and the other captain _agrees with the ref_ and says "yeah, everyone saw it".  Ref looks at him and (disdainfully again) says "you're done, get off the ice".  Captain is incredulous, not sure he understood and says "what?", then the ref repeats.  The captain at this point looses it some and starts with "are you fucking kidding me?" and the ref says "that's another game".  The captain then progresses to colorful names / etc.  Its a shit show.  And its not the first time this has happened with this particular ref.  He's got a pattern of escalating incidents instead of defusing them and his "style" doesn't match any other ref or the league in general.  I don't get it.  Everyone is there to have a good time.  Its also hockey.  If someone comes over and calls you a motherfucker... Fine.  Toss his ass.  But some dude saying "are you fucking kidding me?" to the air in general after you've just made a piss poor call (or even if you got it right) needs to result in you being the adult in the situation.

Mark

45 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Well, I have an actual venting item.  Two even!  And no, its got nothing to do with helmet ratings... :-)

I don't get guys that feel like they need to fight in beer league.  Tonight in a D league game (here we have B through E) one of our defensemen made a reasonable aggressive move and stepped into a guy, stick on puck, knocking the puck away and knocking the guy down.  Ref later called it a trip.  Good enough.  It really looked more like two average skill guys at best coming together on the ice.

The guy gets up off the ice, throws his gloves down, reaches over the top of our guy's helmet, and pulls it forward off his head.  I can only assume that was so that when he started throwing punches he wouldn't hit his cage.  As this is going on, he gets partially tackled / bear hugged by his own teammate, everyone crashes to the ice, with this idiot still trying to throw punches.  Our guy is now cut on his head, from getting his helmet dragged off.  Refs pretty much just stand back and watch, but the guy's teammate pulls him off, etc.

I just don't get the motivation there.  I mean... I get becoming seriously pissed.  Fine.  Yell at the guy and call him a cocksucker.  Hell, two hand him across the chest in the heat of the moment, whatever.  But if you've got enough rational thought left to intentionally drop the gloves, then recognize that you don't want to punch a cage, then pull the helmet off... Then I'm sorry.  Beer league is not for you and you should no longer have the option to play it.

My next vent occurred about five minutes later.  Everyone had adrenaline up, nobody knows what's going on (this is the first "real fight" I've seen or heard about in this league).  Things seem to be calmed down and the other team's captain is talking to the ref, asks how this is going to work, what the specific penalties are, etc.  The ref apparently takes this as giving him lip or something, but rolls his eyes and disdainfully answers the guy.  We're just about getting ready to drop the puck and the other captain _agrees with the ref_ and says "yeah, everyone saw it".  Ref looks at him and (disdainfully again) says "you're done, get off the ice".  Captain is incredulous, not sure he understood and says "what?", then the ref repeats.  The captain at this point looses it some and starts with "are you fucking kidding me?" and the ref says "that's another game".  The captain then progresses to colorful names / etc.  Its a shit show.  And its not the first time this has happened with this particular ref.  He's got a pattern of escalating incidents instead of defusing them and his "style" doesn't match any other ref or the league in general.  I don't get it.  Everyone is there to have a good time.  Its also hockey.  If someone comes over and calls you a motherfucker... Fine.  Toss his ass.  But some dude saying "are you fucking kidding me?" to the air in general after you've just made a piss poor call (or even if you got it right) needs to result in you being the adult in the situation.

Mark

I know that feel.

Ref in my league tacks on additional minors if anyone asks what the offending player was called for, even if it's the captain asking. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marka said:

Don't do that, you could be fined 10k!

Realizing the money my grandma left me when she passed away in 97 is unavailable to me when I asked for access to a small portion of it because of the way my father managed the account due my grandma's boyfriend being an incompetent ?!#&.

Hurray...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MN old and slow said:

My senior going to UW Madison should have went to UMD which is the the Harvard of the upper Midwest.  Not sure I can forgive her.

Embrace Bucky!!! 🤣🤣🤣

i can say, in this state, a degree from Madison holds a lot of clout and separates you by miles from other candidates in job interviews. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 10:35 PM, MN old and slow said:

My senior going to UW Madison should have went to UMD which is the the Harvard of the upper Midwest.  Not sure I can forgive her.

Nationally UW Madison has an excellent reputation.  UMD is unknown outside of hockey circles.

This is much more of a “facepalm, in an idiot” thing than an actual vent since it’s the ultimate first world problem, but...

I just paid for an upgrade to first class for what ended up being a half empty flight. 

Dumbass.

I had to say goodbye to my dog last week.  He had cancer in his leg that had spread to his lungs, and other areas.  We've been fighting it for a year and a half now, but it got out of control.  Eventually he stopped eating, and couldn't stand up anymore.  It was time to let him go.  I've now lost just about everything I have loved in my life to cancer - my mom, my grandma, my granddad, 3 dogs.  I'm so tired of cancer taking things from me too soon.

F cancer.

And on top of that, we had to put my dad's dog, who I was very close to, to sleep on Tuesday.  Not from cancer thankfully, though they think she had cancer in her lungs, but from kidney failure (that makes 2 dogs to kidney failure).  2 dogs in 6 days.  And then my fridge stopped working Tuesday also.  Not a good week for me.

On 6/3/2017 at 1:40 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Mark, it's Wade. What the heck did I miss buddy?!? All the excitement happens when I'm gone!

• Like 1