Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I was part of the roller scene in South Florida in 1994-95, and played down there til about 2001.

I'm not surprised.  The only reason why roller was big was because there wasn't much ice.  Once ice rinks started sprouting up, there was no reason to play roller.

• Like 1

Due mainly to the trauma of cardiology finals, I forgot to air out my gear last week, causing a near-hazmat event in my hockey bag.  Gear is being disinfected and dessicated, jerseys are being given a thorough wash, but I'm afraid I might have damaged my favorite jersey, and I also need to trash the bag for sure.  (luckily I have a spare)  Unfortunately I also only realized this last night as I was getting ready for a training session.  Gross.  x___x

On 7/29/2017 at 3:08 PM, badger_14 said:

Due mainly to the trauma of cardiology finals, I forgot to air out my gear last week, causing a near-hazmat event in my hockey bag.  Gear is being disinfected and dessicated, jerseys are being given a thorough wash, but I'm afraid I might have damaged my favorite jersey, and I also need to trash the bag for sure.  (luckily I have a spare)  Unfortunately I also only realized this last night as I was getting ready for a training session.  Gross.  x___x

Try finding someone with a Sanisport machine. They work pretty well from what I understand with little to no damage. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Try finding someone with a Sanisport machine. They work pretty well from what I understand with little to no damage. 

Good idea!  There's at least one place around here I know of.  I think most of the gear is fine, but I may have permanently stained my favorite jersey.  :(

1 hour ago, badger_14 said:

Good idea!  There's at least one place around here I know of.  I think most of the gear is fine, but I may have permanently stained my favorite jersey.  :(

Post up a pick of the jersey - there may still be hope. 

• Like 1

Dealing with infertility issues is very frustrating.  The wife and I now get to try the next treatment option (IVF). yay! $17,000-$25,000 out of pocket upfront before anything happens because insurance covers $0.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, jlt73 said:

Dealing with infertility issues is very frustrating.  The wife and I now get to try the next treatment option (IVF). yay! $17,000-$25,000 out of pocket upfront before anything happens because insurance covers $0.

Disclaimer: I understand this is a sensitive topic so please don't take offense to my reply

I think I'd seriously start considering adoption at that point. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

1 hour ago, jlt73 said:

That sucks man.  I really hope it works!

We also had some issues in that regard, but the turkey baster thing worked so we didn't get that far.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Disclaimer: I understand this is a sensitive topic so please don't take offense to my reply

Adoption wouldn't be cheaper or less of a hassle.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

That sucks man.  I really hope it works!

We also had some issues in that regard, but the turkey baster thing worked so we didn't get that far.

Mark

Thanks!  We've tried the turkey baster thing 4 times with no success.  So onward we go!

No offense whatsoever.  It's definitely a discussion being had.  It's a little heartbreaking and disappointment not being able to do it the "natural" way, but something will work out one way or the other.

2 hours ago, jlt73 said:

I'm sorry you're having struggles!  I hope everything works out in the end.  

• Like 2

Broke up with the girlfriend today. 3 years, we live together, etc... just kind of slowly fell out of love. Has literally never happened to me before. There's no animosity for her, I just realized I wasn't happy anymore and it was rubbing off on her. So I had the conversation with her, like an adult. And holy shit. Apparently I'm a terrible human being. I knew it was going to be hard, but it was the right thing to do for both of us. Relationships are bullshit sometimes. I don't hate her and would like to someday be friends with her but goddamn. Tell me I'm not the only one to go through this.

6 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Broke up with the girlfriend today. 3 years, we live together, etc... just kind of slowly fell out of love. Has literally never happened to me before. There's no animosity for her, I just realized I wasn't happy anymore and it was rubbing off on her. So I had the conversation with her, like an adult. And holy shit. Apparently I'm a terrible human being. I knew it was going to be hard, but it was the right thing to do for both of us. Relationships are bullshit sometimes. I don't hate her and would like to someday be friends with her but goddamn. Tell me I'm not the only one to go through this.

Tough to hear. Relationships suck till you find the right one! Hang in there.

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

2 or 3 shitty players mixed into a group of D4 guys does not make a D5 team. 

Does 2 or 3 shitty players mixed with a group of D2 guys make a D5 (with D6 being the lowest) team?  Because that's what I have in my league.

49 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Does 2 or 3 shitty players mixed with a group of D2 guys make a D5 (with D6 being the lowest) team?  Because that's what I have in my league.

Yeah that's brutal also. This team is 7-1 in our league now, with a ridiculous goal differential. It's gotten pretty silly. Last season the league director actually talked to the other captains about the two guys they picked up that immediately became the best players in the league. We were like... whatever, its only two guys. Shut them down and the team still sucks. But this season they added 4-5 more. I'm hoping that they finally get their championship and then the director does something about it. We'll see. He's usually good about this sort of thing (really enforces the 8 game minimum for playoffs, and just the fact that he asked for input on the first two guys gives me some hope). 

To be honest I think what bothers me even more about them loading up like this is that OUR team promotes from the rookie league below. We now have 5 regulars that started in rookie league. Keeping in mind that we usually get 7-8 skaters per game, thats a pretty significant chunk.

We also skate with the number we have. The only time we bring in subs is when they're considering joining us. Never have one-offs. The other teams will usually grab somebody from the D4 game before ours. I actually kind of like that (we actually beat a team a couple seasons ago with 5 skaters). 

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah that's brutal also. This team is 7-1 in our league now, with a ridiculous goal differential. It's gotten pretty silly. Last season the league director actually talked to the other captains about the two guys they picked up that immediately became the best players in the league. We were like... whatever, its only two guys. Shut them down and the team still sucks. But this season they added 4-5 more. I'm hoping that they finally get their championship and then the director does something about it. We'll see. He's usually good about this sort of thing (really enforces the 8 game minimum for playoffs, and just the fact that he asked for input on the first two guys gives me some hope). 

To be honest I think what bothers me even more about them loading up like this is that OUR team promotes from the rookie league below. We now have 5 regulars that started in rookie league. Keeping in mind that we usually get 7-8 skaters per game, thats a pretty significant chunk.

We also skate with the number we have. The only time we bring in subs is when they're considering joining us. Never have one-offs. The other teams will usually grab somebody from the D4 game before ours. I actually kind of like that (we actually beat a team a couple seasons ago with 5 skaters). 

Surprise, surprise - the two teams in my league with all the players that don't beling will play in the Championship on Wednesday.  One of the teams started the season 0-5, added 5 D2 players, and have now gone 9-0 since.  The other is a new team that never belonged in this league, and went 11-3 with their losses coming early, going 9-1 to finish the season with the loss coming to the aforementioned team.  The captain is a Johnny Tries Too Hard who thinks he's a good player (he isn't).  He told everyone who would listen that he was starting a team of his friends and they would suck and he didn't care if they won a game at all.  Then he proceeded to to "pay" for the entire team (you know what happens with guys like that) and loaded it with the highest level players we have (there's no D1 here), including stealing the best players from two other teams in the league.  

Unlike you, I have no faith that the league will do anything about it.  For starters, as of the end of the season they still had an unpaid balance, which is why I put pay in quotes above.  If you're going to allow a team to stay in the league when they haven't paid, I doubt you'll do anything about their talent level.  Secondly, when we asked about the two teams with all the players that don't belong, the director said he was going to wait for the captain's meeting to see what they say.  That was after telling a teammate from another league that he "f'in hates Wednesday nights because he keeps getting 3 page emails from captains".  Well if you hate it that much, you probably wouldn't be taking a wait and see approach to resolving the problem.  Last season, there were 5 teams and the difference between the first and last was 5 points.  That indicates it was a really even league, especially since we finished first but picked up a ton of points because we didn't lose many games in regulation.  In terms of straight win-loss record, I think one win separated all the teams.  This season, the top team had double the points of the last.  And the team that finished out of the playoffs last season is the one that added all the ringers in the middle of this season.  It's clear what the issue is, but the director seems to be unwilling to fix it.  What's worse is that it's just going to hurt the only league below us.  Guys from this league that are too good for D6, but not good enough for the way D5 is shaping out, are going to play down, and make it tough for the beginner players that have no where else to go.  And D6 is already too good to begin with, so this will make it even worse.

Just now, chippa13 said:

Every team I've seen in these parts that have had one guy pay for the entire team have always been dissolved because guys don't show up.

That's a common issue also.  Typically, the guy paying for the whole team gets players well above the correct level because those players are good and won't pay to play.  There's enough demand for them that they'll just find the best team that will let them play for free.  The two players I mentioned that came from other teams left because of that.  The problem with this is that because they didn't pay, they have no skin in the game, so they aren't committed and don't show up.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:37 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Tough to hear. Relationships suck till you find the right one! Hang in there.

I'm 30. I'm real sick of even bothering with them. Lol.

Three New Era fitted caps, all the same size and style, all of them fit drastically different. That's really frustrating. 

in sweatshops, there's more emphasis on production numbers than getting shit to exact specs.  

• Like 1

Yay!  Mild/moderate MCL tear last night!  Puck battle in the corner, guy goes down, gets up pissed off, and cross checks me from behind awkwardly into the boards while I was battling his teammate.  I bounce off the boards and go down with my foot under me.  POP!  No penalty because the ref didn't see it because he was "looking out for himself".

Luckily it doesn't appear to be a grade 3, it hurts but I can still stand on it on one foot and bend it and there's no weakness .  No pain anywhere except on the inside of the knee when bending, twisting, ot walking, so likely no other structures are damaged.  Treatment is RICE until the pain goes away.  If it's not marginally better by Friday, I'll go to a doc.

Edited by psulion22