Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

12 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

It's possible / likely that a work out program like that would benefit him greatly.  But:

* he needs a place to do it (we're in Ohio, there's still snow on the ground).

* there are a lot of soccer specific skills / fundamentals that he needs work on.

* he's 11 and still needs to have fun playing soccer.  A work out program alone isn't going to be "fun".

Mark

He is really to young to do heavy training  .   I tend to forget kids are kids . Why I only work power skating with all ages  . And I don't  take on 14 and up if I feel the parents are pushing them . Wich more often then not is the case .   I'm not going to torture them just to make money.     Parents get mad at me .

9 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

It should never be about who can skate circles around who. Don't chirp in a friendly skate, period. Hockey is a niche sport, the more people that play it the better, regardless of skill level. I wonder if it would be more popular if people didn't fear the barrier to entry that is being ridiculed by the insecure who think they are better than they actually are. 

It's all about having fun . I really don't get why the more experienced players aren't trying to help the new guys..  Or just make them feel bad  .    They probably won't even get if someone comes and gives them a taste of there own crap.

• Like 1

A lack of focus, leading me to drop my camera is going to cost me a little over $450 in repairs to the lens.  It appears the camera body was not damaged, I say appears as I threw another lens on and snapped a single pic that looked fine on the viewfinder.

I will say that Canon Factory Service has been great to work with.

• Like 1

Howdy,

14 minutes ago, EJB said:

A lack of focus, leading me to drop my camera is going to cost me a little over $450 in repairs to the lens.  It appears the camera body was not damaged, I say appears as I threw another lens on and snapped a single pic that looked fine on the viewfinder.

That sucks.  Does your homeowners policy cover it?

Mark

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

That sucks.  Does your homeowners policy cover it?

Mark

You know, that’s a good question and should have checked.  Paid now, but I’m going to look into it, never know in the future.  May even be worth a rider.  

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 6:40 AM, EJB said:

Check that total.  Just talked with Canon Factory Service, after opening her up for the repair, more damaged to the lens than they originally thought.  New estimate will put me around $850 total.  I authorize the payment and fix, but at this point I really wonder if I should have just paid another $450 and bought a new lens.  

After a phone conversation and being assured it’d come back like new, I went that direction.

Not a great day.

Howdy,

12 minutes ago, EJB said:

Check that total.  Just talked with Canon Factory Service, after opening her up for the repair, more damaged to the lens than they originally thought.  New estimate will put me around $850 total.  I authorize the payment and fix, but at this point I really wonder if I should have just paid another $450 and bought a new lens.  

After a phone conversation and being assured it’d come back like new, I went that direction.

Not a great day.

Dang!  That's getting pretty pricy.  What lens was it?

I've always heard really awesome things about Canon's Factory Service stuff.  I wouldn't have any concerns that way.  FWIW.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Dang!  That's getting pretty pricy.  What lens was it?

I've always heard really awesome things about Canon's Factory Service stuff.  I wouldn't have any concerns that way.  FWIW.

Mark

Canon 70-200 2.8

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EJB said:

Not a great day.

Wow man . Had no idea these things cost this much 

Being sick and missing school when there's a bunch of important assignments due soon, after missing part of last week as well. The workload is starting to get overwhelming. 

• Like 1

I was so hoping for a ride time (ambulance - we ride 3rd as medics for 250 hours) placement closer... No, once again an hour away. And shifts start at 0700. Goodbye, sleep.

On the upshot, completed my hospital time and the end is vaguely in sight. (Or, the end is nigh)

I got a job via an agency, told to turn up 0700 Monday morning. I turn up 0635, no-one there knew I was coming. I get sent to the canteen, I sat until 0800, no one came to see me. So I got  up and left. The agency calls me, I tell them what happened, get told to go back. So, I go back out, around 0930. Yet again I'm left standing like a spare prick. Eventually around 1100 the boss comes to see me and shows me to my machine. I work the whole day until 1900, get told to come back on Tuesday. Show up on Tuesday, all is ok. This morning, the agency calls, how did i get on etc. "So you're in again on nightshift tonight". Er, no, no one told me. I haven't gotten a chance to get rest. Told them I couldn't do it, I needed more notice than a few hours. Am I being unreasonable?

Howdy,

39 minutes ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

I got a job via an agency, told to turn up 0700 Monday morning. I turn up 0635, no-one there knew I was coming. I get sent to the canteen, I sat until 0800, no one came to see me. So I got  up and left. The agency calls me, I tell them what happened, get told to go back. So, I go back out, around 0930. Yet again I'm left standing like a spare prick. Eventually around 1100 the boss comes to see me and shows me to my machine. I work the whole day until 1900, get told to come back on Tuesday. Show up on Tuesday, all is ok. This morning, the agency calls, how did i get on etc. "So you're in again on nightshift tonight". Er, no, no one told me. I haven't gotten a chance to get rest. Told them I couldn't do it, I needed more notice than a few hours. Am I being unreasonable?

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but if you need the money and there's nothing better, you get to put up with shit like that.  It still sucks though.

Mark

• Like 1

I don't think you're being unreasonable.

However, I will play a little Devil's advocate here.  You know they didn't tell you to come in.  However, they may think they did.  They obviously don't have their shit together.  So while it's perfectly reasonable to decline work on short notice, they may believe they gave you full notice and you are flaking out. We know that's not the truth.  But when you need the job, you sometimes have to be subject to things like this and go in, even when you're right and they're wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

I did consulting for a decade and crap like this happened all too often. Glad you said no. If you don’t say no occasionally then they seem to get the impression that they can treat you like dirt. 

I always just looked at it like... they need me more than I need them!

• Like 2

I've had to switch ride time sites (for various reasons) which means a brief hold while a new schedule is sorted out; plus my mom is in the hospital (again); and my dog has maybe a couple more days to live.  Trying to figure out a plan to sneak my mom down to the hospital entrance to see the pup, but who knows.  Why does this all have to happen at once? 

My friend's 4 (almost 5) year-old son will be undergoing a 9 hour surgery tomorrow to remove a brain tumor.  They found it on a CT scan after he had a big seizure.  It's likely been there a while and now it's putting pressure in an area related to memory and balance.  I'm possibly his favorite person in the world (outside of his parents).  When I went to visit yesterday, he didn't remember my name.  The tumor appears to be benign and will likely not require chemo or radiation.  But still.  Brain surgery.  On a 4 year-old.  Why?  Just why?

Fuck cancer.

Edited by psulion22
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, badger_14 said:

We had to put my dog to sleep on Sunday. :( The cancer caught up to him. It's so empty in the house without our dog. 

I'm so sorry, man.  There's not much worse than that feeling.  But know your furkid and friend is still running around your heart.  We had to let ours go in June from cancer as well.  It took 6 months before we were able to open our hearts again.  But we got a little rescue puppy in March.  Hopefully you'll be ready to give your heart to another needy pup at some point.  We did find that having a Cuddle Clone made really helped with the pain.  It is so well done, and was like he was still there in some ways.  That gave us some closure by interacting with it and allowing him to leave us gradually over time, rather than so suddenly.

• Like 1

We knew he was going.  Sunday was the final call.  Unfortunately, not the first time we've had to do it.  My dad's already putting in our application to the poodle rescue (last two dogs were standard poodles).  Not that we're over Charley - but we need a dog in our lives again. 

26 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

We knew he was going.  Sunday was the final call.  Unfortunately, not the first time we've had to do it.  My dad's already putting in our application to the poodle rescue (last two dogs were standard poodles).  Not that we're over Charley - but we need a dog in our lives again. 

Ours was like that too.  Fought the cancer for 18 months.  Eventually it made him stop eating, and we had to make the decision.  And while we knew it was happening, and took time off work to spend a day or two with him at the end, the change in the environment when he wasn't there anymore was still jarring. I've done it a few times too, but we always had another dog in the house.  It was never quiet and there was still one to greet you when you came home.  The stuffed animal kind of gave us something to say hi to when we came home, and hold if we were sad. We weren't ready to get another right away, and this really helped.

Good to hear you will rescue another.  I'm sure you'll give it a great home and life.

• Like 1