Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

In Denver playing hockey, daughter snapped her primary stick in warmups for game 1.  Game 2 cracked the blade of her back up stick.  We actually brought 3 sticks, always seem to now, but heading to Pure Hockey to do some shopping this afternoon before game 3...

2 hours ago, EJB said:

In Denver playing hockey, daughter snapped her primary stick in warmups for game 1.  Game 2 cracked the blade of her back up stick.  We actually brought 3 sticks, always seem to now, but heading to Pure Hockey to do some shopping this afternoon before game 3...

1 2N Pro(was her previous primary) & 1 Trigger 3D PMT(replaces a 1X lite).  Taping them as I type. 

A member at the gym was so angry over a billing issue that she not only screamed at us, she threw things at my coworker. 

Suffice to say this is not a good way to get the employees sympathetic to your cause.

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

A member at the gym was so angry over a billing issue that she not only screamed at us, she threw things at my coworker. 

Suffice to say this is not a good way to get the employees sympathetic to your cause.

So I guess you’re saying not to throw a hissy, then?

😆

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

So I guess you’re saying not to throw a hissy, then?

😆

Pot, kettle, etc, yes, I know.

I face enough projectiles in other facets of my life: I'd like to not do so at work. 

11 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Pot, kettle, etc, yes, I know.

I face enough projectiles in other facets of my life: I'd like to not do so at work. 

I get it!!!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 8:56 AM, chikinpotpie said:

Going in to a pure hockey on a Saturday at 2pm when they are not busy and asking to have some rivets replaced. They say that it will probably be two hours, so I leave the skates with them. Three hours later I return and they haven't been started and am told then that they won't be able to get to them until tomorrow. Counted at least five employees there and possibly three customers. Talked to the store manager and all he had were excuses about why 12 steel rivets should take two days to complete. Pure in cranberry has gone downhill. 

On 10/15/2018 at 9:12 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Cranberry, PA?  I've had good luck getting them to do rivets for me, but its nearly always a weekday.  Last time was maybe a couple months ago?  They usually don't charge me either, so I end up buying something while I'm there out of guilt.  🙂  I fairly often have a couple rivets loose on my Makos.

They did them once for me on a weekend when I only had a couple loose, but the impression I got was that they really don't like doing them on weekends.  Whether that's because they seem to only have one or maybe two guys that are comfortable with boot repairs vs. just basic sharpening or due to being busy... I dunno.

Mark

That store is a pile of garbage.  They had next to no inventory when I was there, particularly on the goalie side.  I went in hoping to get my hands on some gear because my LHS in Florida is, well, in Florida so that's all you need to know.  Pure (Total at the time) barely had much more.  I dropped off my skates to be sharpened, and my friend who I was visiting had the sharpening plan so it should have been free.  We went to pick up the skates and they told me one skate was done, but the steel on other was cracked.  I am 90% sure it wasn't broken when I brought it in.  I had no issues in the game I played the night before that would have indicated a broken runner.  I didn't notice anything after the game when I cleaned the runners and put on the skate guards.  The bag went from the locker room to the car and stayed there until I brought them into the store.  But since I didn't know for absolutely sure they broke the runner while sharpening the skates, I couldn't do much about it.  So my "free" sharpening cost me $100 in new steel.  Then it took them nearly 30 minutes to sharpen the steel after I approved the replacement despite there being no one else in the store (and they didn't call to let me know it was broken, they waited until I came back, which is also ridiculous)

• Like 1

Barely any stores hold much in the way of goalie inventory. It is simply too expensive and low in demand to warrant a the outlay to carry a large inventory. Besides, most goalies prefer to order something in order to get the exact specs that they want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Barely any stores hold much in the way of goalie inventory. It is simply too expensive and low in demand to warrant a the outlay to carry a large inventory. Besides, most goalies prefer to order something in order to get the exact specs that they want.

The Monkey Sports store in NJ has a ton of inventory. The Total Hockey in Sterling, VA had a pretty good selection. Great Skate in Buffalo had a decent amount. Even the Peranis in Pittsburgh had some. I get that most of the small shops, like the ones near me, have little goalie stuff because of the cost and space limitations and the specificity of goalie gear. A big store like a Total Hockey should have more than they did. There are wayyyyyyy more goalies who buy off the shelf than buy custom. I don’t think expecting a major large retailer to have at least one set of the most current and popular gear from a major manufacturer like Bauer or Warrior, so I can at least get my hands on it, is anywhere near unreasonable. 

Edited by psulion22

9 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The Monkey Sports store in NJ has a ton of inventory. The Total Hockey in Sterling, VA had a pretty good selection. Great Skate in Buffalo had a decent amount. Even the Peranis in Pittsburgh had some. I get that most of the small shops, like the ones near me, have little goalie stuff because of the cost and space limitations and the specificity of goalie gear. A big store like a Total Hockey should have more than they did. There are wayyyyyyy more goalies who buy off the shelf than buy custom. I don’t think expecting a major large retailer to have at least one set of the most current and popular gear from a major manufacturer like Bauer or Warrior, so I can at least get my hands on it, is anywhere near unreasonable. 

Howdy,

Did you visit around the time that Total was going through the bankruptcy and got bought by pure?  The cranberry pure at that time didn't have much inventory and I think was going through employee changes.  Doesn't excuse the poor service though.

In the Pittsburgh area, if I wanted goalie gear I'd head to KO Sports, if you're ever back this way.  FWIW

Mark

Edited by marka
Words

There was a time when Pure/Total hardly had anything in Cranberry, I remember my brother complaining about it, but it could have been during that transition period.  They have good stock now.  Several of the employees seem knowledgable but they definitely have a few kids working there that i wouldn’t trust helping me with skates, but that is usually true everywhere.

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Did you visit around the time that Total was going through the bankruptcy and got bought by pure?  The cranberry pure at that time didn't have much inventory and I think was going through employee changes.  Doesn't excuse the poor service though.

In the Pittsburgh area, if I wanted goalie gear I'd head to KO Sports, if you're ever back this way.  FWIW

Mark

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

There was a time when Pure/Total hardly had anything in Cranberry, I remember my brother complaining about it, but it could have been during that transition period.  They have good stock now.  Several of the employees seem knowledgable but they definitely have a few kids working there that i wouldn’t trust helping me with skates, but that is usually true everywhere.

That may make a lot of sense.  It was early October 2016. The inventory of player gear was also pathetic. All they seemed to have was mid/low level gear and leftover models. They were even low on things like tape and laces. 

I was there visiting friends who live in Cranberry, as a surprise for their daughter’s birthday. So I couldn’t be driving around looking for stuff. We needed to go to Walmart to pick something up for school the next day. The TH is in the same parking lot as the Walmart, so we decided to stop in to drop the skates off, run over to Walmart, and then I’d just look at what I needed real quick before we left. So that extra time meant we were gone for well over an hour for something that should have been 30 minutes. 

Bad employees are definitely everywhere. That’s why I had to buy a Sparx machine. It’s not perfect, but it’s far better than what I have available to me down here. 

4 months of third-riding and still: no ventilator transfers.  (That is, a patient on a ventilator, being transferred via ambulance.)  In theory, we're supposed to have run one under supervision before being deployed on our own, but either none come up, or they're not actually on a ventilator, or we get cancelled off the call.  Argh.

10 hours ago, badger_14 said:

4 months of third-riding and still: no ventilator transfers.  (That is, a patient on a ventilator, being transferred via ambulance.)  In theory, we're supposed to have run one under supervision before being deployed on our own, but either none come up, or they're not actually on a ventilator, or we get cancelled off the call.  Argh.

Find a friend with a ventilator and have them call on your shift and have them ask for you?

You’re welcome 🤡

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Find a friend with a ventilator and have them call on your shift and have them ask for you?

You’re welcome 🤡

Sedating and intubating my partner is looking better and better every shift.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You like your partner that much, eh?

He just looks so peaceful, bundled up in his sleeping bag on the couch.  Nice, even breathing.  Nice, patent airway.  *twitch*

• Haha 1

Player on the other team last night was ejected for homophobic slurs. The guy was already one of the biggest douchebags in the league not only for his play, but also for his mouth and of course the fact that he’s one of many on his team who are in the wrong division. This was just the cherry on top. 

Huge credit to the refs for doing the right thing. 

This could have gone in either the sweet spot or the venting spot but considering it shouldn’t have happened in the first place I decided to go with the latter.

• Like 3

Came off third ride last week and onto my new "permanent" shift today.  No fewer than 6 people have expressed concern to me about my new partner's competence and whether it's a good idea for him to be paired with a new paramedic and man, that was not a good sign.  After 12 hours I have concerns about his ability to function as a person.

However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel: a shift at the base nearest to me has recently come open, and I could work with someone both competent and not ... ... so .. ... odd.  😐 Time to contact scheduling...

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, psulion22 said:

The Monkey Sports store in NJ has a ton of inventory. The Total Hockey in Sterling, VA had a pretty good selection. 

Have you been back to Sterling shop recently? They took over half the goalie side of the shop and turned it into skater gear.

It could be deceptive, but it doesn't look like it led to an increase in skater inventory, just spread it out and made more room for manufacturer's displays

On 1/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, Paddy said:

Have you been back to Sterling shop recently? They took over half the goalie side of the shop and turned it into skater gear.

It could be deceptive, but it doesn't look like it led to an increase in skater inventory, just spread it out and made more room for manufacturer's displays

Hey, Paddy.

I'm the manager at Sterling, and I can say our Inventory levels have been getting higher and higher throughout the year, and will continue to increase this year. Do we have everything we would like currently? Definitely not, but that's going to be drastically change over the next couple of months. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 3