Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Facepalm was for your partner, not you!

Wow is all I can say...

Understood!  He's apparently got a pattern of making extremely questionable to outright dangerous "treatment decisions" and has been repeatedly remediated for it.  Eight (8) different people at last count have advised me about working with him, including our supervisor.  As a new medic, it's a little traumatic to be looking to a - well, a terrible medic - for support and advice.  Mainly I lean on my supervisor and other good medics (two of the most brilliant I've ever met work out of the same base and I catch them when I start my shift) but it's stressful to be watching both my decisions and his all at once when I have so little experience. 😥

• Sad 1

Howdy,

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Apparently over-skating a puck, turning around and going to retrieve it is a perfectly legitimate way of scoring a shootout goal. 

I've seen stuff like that in beginner leagues where its more of a group "do over" type of decision.  But never in anything particularly competitive.

Is this the reason for the FB post?

Mark

2 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I've seen stuff like that in beginner leagues where its more of a group "do over" type of decision.  But never in anything particularly competitive.

Is this the reason for the FB post?

Mark

Just the cherry on top for me. You've seen my other thread here. This stopped being fun a while ago. This was the last game of the season. Meaningless since both teams were already out of the playoffs, but I finished the season like I said I would. Now I have two pickup games I've already committed to unfortunately but I don't think I'm going to play in a league anymore. 

Oh, and this team we played is now 1-19, on that goal. 

I just found out that there’s a chance I might have a recurrence of my liver disease PSC 

Well I’m going to have to go in for a procedure. A PTC (Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography) which basically means I’m going to have a tube(s) to drain my liver for 2-6 months. Last time I had to go through this was before my second transplant. 

It’s not a guarantee that it’s a recurrence of the PSC but because of my history the doctors think it’s more likely that not it’s back.

I’ve felt extremely fortunate to have received two transplants & to get a second and third chance at life. But right now the thought of going through all this again seems so difficult. Especially the drains put in my liver. The last time it was extremely painful. I ended up being put on fentanyl patches. That was a nightmare in it’s own right. 

Hoping that I don’t have to have another transplant, but if I do I’ll be one of the only hockey players that have had 3 transplants. 

Wish me luck

Edited by Steve_v3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Steve_v3 said:

I just found out that there’s a chance I might have a recurrence of my liver disease PSC 

Well I’m going to have to go in for a procedure. A PTC (Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography) which basically means I’m going to have a tube(s) to drain my liver for 2-6 months. Last time I had to go through this was before my second transplant. 

It’s not a guarantee that it’s a recurrence of the PSC but because of my history the doctors think it’s more likely that not it’s back.

I’ve felt extremely fortunate to have received two transplants & to get a second and third chance at life. But right now the thought of going through all this again seems so difficult. Especially the drains put in my liver. The last time it was extremely painful. I ended up being put on fentanyl patches. That was a nightmare in it’s own right. 

Hoping that I don’t have to have another transplant, but if I do I’ll be one of the only hockey players that have had 3 transplants. 

Wish me luck

Damn dude. I have no words... 

Good luck with everything and please keep us updated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_v3 said:

Wish me luck

I can’t imagine what it is like to go through something like this but I’m pulling for you as I’m sure everyone around here is.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

Wish me luck

Keep the faith brother. All of your internet friends are pulling for you.  

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Steve_v3 said:

Wish me luck

Sorry to read that.

I hope for the best possible outcome for you. 

• Like 1

Just had my possibly last surgery for closing my loop illeostomy. This is supposed to be the easiest one. Needless to say this had been rough. Bleeding out my bum, pain meds barely touching the pain, puking after having an ice lolly and getting a straight catheter every few hours has been less that fun. Ugh. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

You guys dealing with the medical stuff...

Damn.  I can't imagine.  I also don't know what to say about it other than "good luck" and that I'm thinking of you.  Keep fighting!

Mark

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

You guys dealing with the medical stuff...

Damn.  I can't imagine.  I also don't know what to say about it other than "good luck" and that I'm thinking of you.  Keep fighting!

Mark

Thank you. 

I am just bitter enough that I will have to keep fighting! I am in a LOT of pain right now. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, Steve_v3 said:

Wish me luck

Best of luck!  I hope everything goes smoothly.  Keep on being Bionic.

• Like 1

My (work) partner seems to feel that having to actually work is an imposition and incredibly unfair.  This would be annoying under any job circumstance, but we're paramedics.  (after a certain point, you just accept that some days are a vast illness-free desert and others are a nightmare vortex - and unless dispatch is asking you to do something dangerous, you just kinda roll with it).

I was furious with him last night, in particular, for taking a markedly longer route (transfer from one hospital to another) with a patient loaded - when I asked, he told me he "didn't feel like" taking the (normal, fast, direct) regular route.  The supervisor(s) say they're going to have a talk with him, so they tell me.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Apparently over-skating a puck, turning around and going to retrieve it is a perfectly legitimate way of scoring a shootout goal. 

I once had a coach at a camp, who was the HC for the women's team at a major D1 university, tell the room that all refs are a-hole POSs and should be treated accordingly.  We all laughed.  Since then, I've come to realize he's right.

In my experience, especially recently, good beer league refs are like frickin unicorns, and good hockey directors are like 4 leaf clovers.  Sadly the best ref down here is a POS human being (that you'd know from being infamous on GGSU, IPv6).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I once had a coach at a camp, who was the HC for the women's team at a major D1 university, tell the room that all refs are a-hole POSs and should be treated accordingly.  We all laughed.  Since then, I've come to realize he's right.

In my experience, especially recently, good beer league refs are like frickin unicorns, and good hockey directors are like 4 leaf clovers.  Sadly the best ref down here is a POS human being (that you'd know from being infamous on GGSU, IPv6).

It’s been forever since I’ve played in a beer league game, but I couldn’t agree more. 

We had a ref yell at someone on the other team to “Go home and beat your wife!”

18 hours ago, psulion22 said:

It’s been so long since I’ve been to that dumpster fire. Absolute cesspool. There was a goalie forum that sprung up that looked like it might be promising but it’s basically become GGSU with a different cast... Click on a random thread and the latest 10 posts will have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread. 

Anyway, I digress. We actually have some decent refs here. Though I imagine as a goalie our relationships are a bit different. Talking before the game and between whistles and stuff. Most of them I’ll send the puck down on an icing to save them the skate, etc. Others, they can skate back and get it themselves, and they’ll have to dig the puck out of the net after goals because I’m not doing it for them. But that’s only 1 or 2. 

Apparenty the ref in question here deemed the puck to be still in motion towards the goal and honestly, the video supports it. I just REALLY dont think so, being about 8 feet away when it happened. But if it looks like it was in the video, then I imagine it did from the corner where he was standing. 

Oh well, wouldn’t be the first time a goalie has lost his shit on a ref for something they’re ultimately wrong about. Certainly won’t be the last either. 

Oh, ended up with a game misconduct for abuse of official on the scoresheet. 

38 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

It’s been so long since I’ve been to that dumpster fire. Absolute cesspool. There was a goalie forum that sprung up that looked like it might be promising but it’s basically become GGSU with a different cast... Click on a random thread and the latest 10 posts will have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread. 

Anyway, I digress. We actually have some decent refs here. Though I imagine as a goalie our relationships are a bit different. Talking before the game and between whistles and stuff. Most of them I’ll send the puck down on an icing to save them the skate, etc. Others, they can skate back and get it themselves, and they’ll have to dig the puck out of the net after goals because I’m not doing it for them. But that’s only 1 or 2. 

Apparenty the ref in question here deemed the puck to be still in motion towards the goal and honestly, the video supports it. I just REALLY dont think so, being about 8 feet away when it happened. But if it looks like it was in the video, then I imagine it did from the corner where he was standing. 

Oh well, wouldn’t be the first time a goalie has lost his shit on a ref for something they’re ultimately wrong about. Certainly won’t be the last either. 

Oh, ended up with a game misconduct for abuse of official on the scoresheet. 

This was a while ago, so you may know. Does the first name Alex ring a bell?

Anyway, I just had a ref scream at and threaten to penalize a goalie for sending a puck down after an icing.  I last game had a ref tell us that kicking the puck into the net was ok, because that’s “an NHL rule” and USA hockey doesn’t have it.  When corrected to meaning that no puck can go in off a foot, his reply was “how many ref seminars have you been to?”  I had a ref a few games ago tell us that a player who tracked another player from across the rink and drove that player from behind into the boards was only a 2 minute penalty. Mind you, all these incidents were within the last 2 weeks. We had a game where one of the refs didn’t blow his whistle the entire game. Seriously. Not even for icings or offsides. He just either waved everything off or didn’t bother calling it. In the third period of last season’s championship, a ref waved off a game tying goal because I was in the crease. Mind you, there were no marks on the ice. You couldn’t see any paint at all. Earlier in the game, that same ref told our bench that he couldn’t see any lines, so he had to use the stripes on the boards and it was more of a judgement call for offsides. But he somehow saw me in the invisible crease from 40 feet away with no board marking nearby. And I was nowhere near the play. It was a shot from the other side point that got redirected short side. I was coming from the opposite wall.    It seems like every game I play, there is something egregious that goes either uncalled, or incorrectly called, and usually it involves something dangerous. 

A few seasons ago, we lost in a shootout 2-1. One goal was a double hit that I made a save and the player put in the rebound. And the second goal, the guy cut through the crease, kicked my stick out of the way, and put it 5 hole. Video confirmed both of those. So don’t feel bad. 

Edited by psulion22

Yesterday was a real test for the J-pouch. Let’s just say that what the surgeon warned me about came true in spades. I hope today is a better day!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Tomorrow’s the day I get my drains put in. If the last time was any indication, it’s going to be a long few months. 

Hoping for a long playoff run by the Bruins to help me get through. 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

Tomorrow’s the day I get my drains put in. If the last time was any indication, it’s going to be a long few months. 

I hope this fixes the problem! Sending positive vibes, friend!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

Damn it dude why ya gotta go giving me mixed feelings like that! 😉 

In all seriousness though, best of luck man. We’re all behind you!

• Like 1

Got through the procedure. They forgot to do a biopsy yesterday so now they have to do it today 🙄

May have to stay one more night. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2