Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

4 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

There's a reason why in the beer league/pick up hockey circle that names like "Johnny Try Hard" and "Charlie Hustle" aren't compliments.

I just try to emulate the pace of the pickup.  Like I said this is a private skate with the same people for the last 4 years.  Everyone in this skate is a Johnny Try Hard if I was to slack off it wouldn't be as fun for me or the other players (this goalie excluded).  Now if I go to a public pick up I don't play nearly as hard as I do on Monday nights.  

7 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Let me guess, you always "play to the whistle" too.  

No, if the goalie has it I see no need to wack at it.  If its loose puck in the crease area sure I will try to poke it free for another shot or poke it in during a game or a pickup where its warranted and other players are making similar plays.  I didn't take a wack at the puck it was a simple poke.

Like I said earlier I was the dick I will slow it down for my Monday night skate.  Sorry to all the goalies I offended with my post.

Edited by strosedefence34

7 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

I just try to emulate the pace of the pickup.  Like I said this is a private skate with the same people for the last 4 years.  Everyone in this skate is a Johnny Try Hard if I was to slack off it wouldn't be as fun for me or the other players (this goalie excluded).  Now if I go to a public pick up I don't play nearly as hard as I do on Monday nights.  

If your pickup has a different set of rules from the average pickup, then why ask us if you were in the wrong? We can't answer that ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

If your pickup has a different set of rules from the average pickup, then why ask us if you were in the wrong? We can't answer that ;) 

That's very true.  I was looking for an outsider perspective I guess.  I swear I'm not a bad guy.  I don't run goalies.  I haven't been in a fight since way back when it "mattered" (high school hockey).  I was trying to make an honest play on a loose puck that if we had refs the play would not have been blown dead... Please don't break my thumbs and leave the horse heads out of my bed thank you.

2 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

That's very true.  I was looking for an outsider perspective I guess.  I swear I'm not a bad guy.  I don't run goalies.  I haven't been in a fight since way back when it "mattered" (high school hockey).  I was trying to make an honest play on a loose puck that if we had refs the play would not have been blown dead... Please don't break my thumbs and leave the horse heads out of my bed thank you.

No worries, all good :10_wink:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm similarly confused by this.

OP- If you've played with this same group of people for 4 years, then why didn't you know that you don't do that in this group?  And if it's never come up, then why did the guy who runs it say WE don't do that?  If everyone is playing the same way as you were, then surely it would have happened before.  It doesn't mesh.  The bottom line is that you know that you did something that group doesn't want, and looking on here for us to tell you how wrong they are.  You're continually trying to justify it, but everyone else paying at the same speed an intensity as you seem to avoid it.  Even if they didn't care doesn't mean that they don't know not to do it.  It's their ice, their rules.  If the guy who runs it tells you that you're in the wrong, you're in the wrong.  Period.

Edited by psulion22

Funny thing is I was a lacrosse goalie for most of my life never got into hockey goalie and I have sympathy for hockey goalies.  I had a protective circle around me that no one could enter.  Hockey goalies have some blue paint that doesn't mean anything unless you make contact with the goalie.  I still wore less padding though :ph34r:  

Just now, psulion22 said:

I'm similarly confused by this.

OP- If you've played with this same group of people for 4 years, then why didn't you know that you don't do that in this group?  And if it's never come up, then why did the guy who runs it say WE don't do that?  If everyone is playing the same way as you were, then surely it would have happened before.  It doesn't mesh.  The bottom line is that you know that you're a dick and did something that group doesn't want, and looking on here for us to tell you how wrong they are.  You're continually trying to justify it, but everyone else paying at the same speed an intensity as you seem to avoid it.  Even if they didn't care doesn't mean that they don't know not to do it.  It's their ice, their rules.  If the guy who runs it tells you that you're in the wrong, you're in the wrong.  Period.

That's a good point.  However, this sort of thing does happen on a lot of plays when the puck is loose.  As I stated earlier Goalie B said he didn't have an issue with the play and no other players saw an issue with the play.  People have done a lot worse than what I tried last night and haven't been scolded.  Perhaps since the guy who runs it is a friend felt like he could make an example out of me and I wouldn't take it personal with him as other players might and may not return.  I have been playing with them for 4 years but admittedly I may miss a skate here or there so maybe the first time something like this happened I missed it and never got the memo.  Again sorry to the goalies I offended I won't let it happen again. 

More of a pet peeve here: NHL.com should show EVERY goal that happens in a game for each respective Recap highlight video. I can see the League cutting short highlights on the NHL Network. But if I'm going out of my way to go to every box score to see each game's highlights, I've got to see every goal. When I was in college (not that long ago) the NHL Network used to show every goal on NHL On The Fly. If you don't do it on TV anymore (which I disagreed with), do it online. It baffles me how little things like that get overlooked.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

More of a pet peeve here: NHL.com should show EVERY goal that happens in a game for each respective Recap highlight video. I can see the League cutting short highlights on the NHL Network. But if I'm going out of my way to go to every box score to see each game's highlights, I've got to see every goal. When I was in college (not that long ago) the NHL Network used to show every goal on NHL On The Fly. If you don't do it on TV anymore (which I disagreed with), do it online. It baffles me how little things like that get overlooked.  

Wait, they don't show every goal in the highlight videos? The condensed games are all under 10 mins it seems, I wonder if that'd be a better option. 

To go along with that, I understand the purpose of blackouts but it's 2017... being televised nationally means squat to a person without cable. 

8 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Wait, they don't show every goal in the highlight videos? The condensed games are all under 10 mins it seems, I wonder if that'd be a better option. 

To go along with that, I understand the purpose of blackouts but it's 2017... being televised nationally means squat to a person without cable. 

Yea, I've noticed it before and noticed again recently when Nolan Patrick's first NHL goal wasn't shown on the recap haha...

All about greed. Sad but true...

1 minute ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yea, I've noticed it before and noticed again recently when Nolan Patrick's first NHL goal wasn't shown on the recap haha...

All about greed. Sad but true...

My mind was BLOWN when the VGK first game was blacked out on NHL.tv. Like I said, I get blackouts... but wouldn't it be in the league's best interest to let fans of the other 30 teams check out the new guys? 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

My mind was BLOWN when the VGK first game was blacked out on NHL.tv. Like I said, I get blackouts... but wouldn't it be in the league's best interest to let fans of the other 30 teams check out the new guys? 

I'm in total agreement with you. Unfortunately, these TV contracts have forced people to either pay for TV services or be without sports by "cutting the cord."

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I'm in total agreement with you. Unfortunately, these TV contracts have forced people to either pay for TV services or be without sports by "cutting the cord."

It will eventually be fixed as less and less revenue is seen from TV viewership.

In the meantime there are other ways around the blackouts ;)

On 10/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, IPv6Freely said:

It will eventually be fixed as less and less revenue is seen from TV viewership.

In the meantime there are other ways around the blackouts ;)

I'd argue that the opposite is true.  People cut the cord because they are receiving the content for *mostly* free elsewhere.  As the content creators and providers lose revenue from traditional sources, they will start charging more and more for that content through non-traditional sources. 

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

I'd argue that the opposite is true.  People cut the cord because they are receiving the content for *mostly* free elsewhere.  As the content creators and providers lose revenue from traditional sources, they will start charging more and more for that content through non-traditional sources. 

I disagree with your second sentence. I have always said piracy is best combated by two things: affordability and accessibility. Give me an option to stream what I want, when I want, for a decent price and it's not worth the effort to pirate. 

Eg. Yes sure I can go ahead and hit /r/NHLstreams to watch every game, but the NHL.tv package is more convenient and not that expensive so I don't bother. Of course this has worked even better in the music and movie world. Spotify and Apple Music have made it so I can listen to ALMOST anything I could possibly want, any time I want, for a very low price. I haven't pirated music in years at this point. Heck, I'm at a point where it's so rare that I can't get what I need that I will actually shell out money for an album if that does happen.

Movies have it figured out for the most part with things like Netflix and Amazon. And even renting a movie on iTunes is affordable. I haven't pirated a movie in a long time.

TV has started to get it figured out but there's so many sources it makes it difficult. Hulu and HBO for example are great but I hate paying for both (but still do). They're getting there. I still pirate some TV shows here and there, usually because I don't want commercials (why do I get commercials for a service I'm paying for) because it kills the mood of the show when there's loud, annoying commercials right in the middle of a tense scene.

I've been a cord-cutter for years now (I haven't had cable since... 2010?) and at first I had to search for and download a LOT of stuff. Now, almost nothing. Heck, you know things have become more affordable and accessible when I get emails from my private trackers warning me that I haven't logged in in 90+ days. 

The second part of what you said is true to a point for sure but I like to think (hope?) that content creators are seeing the writing on the wall and instead of trying their best to screw their consumers, they should be finding new ways for people to obtain that content in accessible and affordable ways. 

To tie this back to sports, I can only hope that at SOME point the "TV deals" that are such big business stop being so lucrative. The concept of a blackout in 2017 is a bit ridiculous. If they need to up the price of NHL.tv to make up for the loss of revenue from NOT watching on TV because they don't have cable, then so be it. I just hope it eventually sorts itself out.