Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

On 1/23/2018 at 7:38 AM, jlt73 said:

The property management company has very little financial responsibility.  This is my first rental and when I signed the contract I was very green.  Knowing what I know now, I would have amended the contract significantly or went with someone else.  I hired the company so I would just have to collect a check and not worry about anything.  It seems like I'm doing way more work than I should.  Which is why the property management company is done after this mess gets cleared up.

It sucks that there are people out there that try to take advantage of things and make it more difficult for good people.  I messaged the tenet on facebook (I recently found out they are really good friends with my cousin and his wife) and they claim they will pay me asap for the past week with nothing but excuses on why they didn't make arrangements yet.  

I do have a lawsuit for all money owed for next month, I hope it works out where they pay before the court date though.

Dam man . Sucks 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, psulion22 said:

I'm sorry, man.  We lost ours to cancer in June.  It's a terrible thing.

But with a tremendous amount of care from his oncologist, we were able to keep him alive for over a year and a half with a pretty good quality of life for most of it.  So don't give up hope.  They can treat canine cancer very well nowadays, and can prescribe a lot of drugs, even ones like Marinol, to keep him happy and comfortable for a while.

Feel free to reach out if you need advice or support.

He has lung cancer, and while they can do an aspiration study to be sure, the vet apparently feels like this is not a cancer that will be amenable to chemo.  Our last dog also had cancer (bone cancer) that was being well-treated, but he died of bloat shortly after having his leg amputated. 

On top of this, the horse I ride at the barn (I don't lease or own him, but he's "my" first horse, and I love him dearly) is going to be sold, so overall it is not a good week for animal news.  :(

44 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

He has lung cancer, and while they can do an aspiration study to be sure, the vet apparently feels like this is not a cancer that will be amenable to chemo.  Our last dog also had cancer (bone cancer) that was being well-treated, but he died of bloat shortly after having his leg amputated. 

On top of this, the horse I ride at the barn (I don't lease or own him, but he's "my" first horse, and I love him dearly) is going to be sold, so overall it is not a good week for animal news.  :(

Wow hard week for you . I'msorry.  Is it possible to buy the horse?  Trade work at the barn?  I have no clue of what horses cost. Or cost to take care of . You won't know unless you ask . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Sorry, man. Lung cancer is tough. But we were able to fight metastatic lung cancer well for 6 months. CCNU actually showed good progress until we had to discontinue it because it was affecting his liver. It may be worth a shot. It was a pretty mild treatment with no real side effects and only once every three weeks administration   The cancer is likely not “treatable” but you may be able to manage it for a little while. Just a thought. Keep him happy and importantly eating as well as he can (that was always an issue for mine, he was picky) and you may still have some time. 

No, definitely not a good animal week. I feel for you. I lost my dog and then my parent’s dog (who I lived at home with for about a year when she was a puppy, I was her favorite person) 6 days later. That wasn’t a good week either. It sucks. But try to spend as much time as you can and take as many pictures and videos too. Some of the best pictures and video I have we took after we found out he was sick. 

The offer is still there. I know what you’re going through. Hit me up if you need advice or just to talk. 

21 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Wow hard week for you . I'msorry.  Is it possible to buy the horse?  Trade work at the barn?  I have no clue of what horses cost. Or cost to take care of . You won't know unless you ask . 

The folks offered $4500 and believe me, if I had that kind of money I'd pay the barn owner to keep him.  A friend of mine suggested I mention to my trainer that if they're local I'd be more than happy to horse-sit for him on occasion. 

3 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

The folks offered $4500 and believe me, if I had that kind of money I'd pay the barn owner to keep him.  A friend of mine suggested I mention to my trainer that if they're local I'd be more than happy to horse-sit for him on occasion. 

That is a lot of money.  Some times money is a secondary issue to why someone makes choices . Don't assume anything.  Have a conversation with the barn owner . He or she may have completely forgotten about your bond with the horse  . 

• Like 1

Why the hate? I played stick and puck the other day and a few of the younger guys that are not regulars, were mocking a guy who had low level and older equipment. i know the guy he dosent have a lot of funds but plays every week. I just dont get why unless you have pro equipment you love the game less or are not as good as others in some peoples eyes. Anyway just had to get this out. Moving on.

• Like 1

Howdy,

35 minutes ago, LFOD78 said:

Why the hate? I played stick and puck the other day and a few of the younger guys that are not regulars, were mocking a guy who had low level and older equipment. i know the guy he dosent have a lot of funds but plays every week. I just dont get why unless you have pro equipment you love the game less or are not as good as others in some peoples eyes. Anyway just had to get this out. Moving on.

With the guys I play with, mostly the folks that have newer / better equipment don't play as well as the guys sporting the 20 year old stuff.  :-)

Mark

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LFOD78 said:

Yeah, I agree. When a guy shows up wearing old, worn out gear, they're usually the ones to watch out for. They're usually the ones skating circles around everyone else. 

As for what you witnessed, yeah, F those guys. Their moms and pops need to bend them over and show them some old-time corporal punishment. Or maybe someone needs to go into the corner with one of them and take a stomp down on their high end stick.

• Like 1

On 04.02.2018 at 5:30 PM, Playmakersedge said:

That is a lot of money.  Some times money is a secondary issue to why someone makes choices . Don't assume anything.  Have a conversation with the barn owner . He or she may have completely forgotten about your bond with the horse  . 

Unfortunately, money is a big part of it.  This is a small barn that makes much of its revenue with trail rides, parties, lessons and occasional boarders (people who pay to keep their horse there).  In winter, parties and trail rides happen much less, so revenue goes down. The barn owner needs the money, and like you said, $4500 is a lot.  It's not an atypical amount for a horse like Toby (age, soundness, training).  Again, if I had the money?  I'd just write a check for the money and say keep Toby.  He's a wonderful all-around horse so I can see why these folks love him, too.  I suppose I can offer to horse-sit for them. 

Howdy,

Well, just had one of the more bizarre experiences I've ever had.

We've been looking for a soccer skills program for my 11 year old.  He's been playing rec league in the summers at various teams and wants to try playing a little more competitively.

I found a local-ish guy.  Another friend had heard of him, the local place he does practices out of recommended him, etc.

Exchanged emails with him, he recommended my son coming to the 11 year old group on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6pm.  A few emails back and forth, guy was pretty "emailing from a phone" brief, but whatever.  Seemed to be setup for us to come up and try out a session.

So we do that tonight.  My son is nervous, it's a half hour away, etc. etc.  We get there ten minutes early.  Get him pointed out, he's out on the field with groups of kids.  Hang out and wait, standing up, looking at him the whole time, etc.  6pm comes and goes, he never comes off the field.  He's not 'actively coaching' during this... He's mostly walking around, occasionally making a comment to kids, etc.  A group of kids my son's age come up, take outer clothes off, and go out on the field.  He goes over and gets them started.  Eventually I start walking around the back of the field.  He's maybe 40' away the entire time, I'm the only adult doing that, he never reacts at all.  He starts heading back toward the sidelines where the parents are, so I walk back over there and then start walking out onto the field, between two areas of kids, looking at him.  He holds his hands up as if to say "hold on a  minute".

So cool, pretty weird, since its been like 10 minutes of me clearly trying to find out what the fuck we're supposed to be doing, but whatever.  So, knowing the guy knows I want to talk to him I wait.

I wait for for another ten minutes.  He never walks over (like 30' away, he's still not 'actively coaching' or whatever).

My son, of course, knows the session started at 6pm, knows its after 6pm, and is increasingly feeling bad / negative about the whole thing during all of this.  He was already pretty nervous.

After that ten minutes, I ask my son if he wants to leave and he does, so we go.  No interaction with the guy at all.

Surreal.  I've literally never had another experience like it.

If it wasn't related to my son / his excitement / nervousness to start / whatever it would just be funny in that "you won't believe!" kinda way.  Instead I'm in some weird state of bafflement and wanting to punch the fucker in the throat.  But I guess I'm an adult, so I'll just look for a different program.   :-)

Mark

5 hours ago, LFOD78 said:

That's unfortunate.  What these guys don't understand is a guy could show up with ancient equipment and be able to skate circles around them.      This thing with pro level equipment is ridiculous.  Many many of the beer league players and amateur players can't perform past the limit of recreational quality skates and sticks .   Protective equipment should be the best one can afford imo .       I just don't get why some people just have to be mean . We are the only species that treat each other like crap just because. Nothing about survival 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Unfortunately, money is a big part of it.  This is a small barn that makes much of its revenue with trail rides, parties, lessons and occasional boarders (people who pay to keep their horse there).  In winter, parties and trail rides happen much less, so revenue goes down. The barn owner needs the money, and like you said, $4500 is a lot.  It's not an atypical amount for a horse like Toby (age, soundness, training).  Again, if I had the money?  I'd just write a check for the money and say keep Toby.  He's a wonderful all-around horse so I can see why these folks love him, too.  I suppose I can offer to horse-sit for them. 

Yes offer that . They sound like good people.  Maybe they will need more than horse sitting.    Life is very much like hockey;  it's about the second, third, fourth effort  ..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Well, just had one of the more bizarre experiences I've ever had.

We've been looking for a soccer skills program for my 11 year old.  He's been playing rec league in the summers at various teams and wants to try playing a little more competitively.

I found a local-ish guy.  Another friend had heard of him, the local place he does practices out of recommended him, etc.

Exchanged emails with him, he recommended my son coming to the 11 year old group on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6pm.  A few emails back and forth, guy was pretty "emailing from a phone" brief, but whatever.  Seemed to be setup for us to come up and try out a session.

So we do that tonight.  My son is nervous, it's a half hour away, etc. etc.  We get there ten minutes early.  Get him pointed out, he's out on the field with groups of kids.  Hang out and wait, standing up, looking at him the whole time, etc.  6pm comes and goes, he never comes off the field.  He's not 'actively coaching' during this... He's mostly walking around, occasionally making a comment to kids, etc.  A group of kids my son's age come up, take outer clothes off, and go out on the field.  He goes over and gets them started.  Eventually I start walking around the back of the field.  He's maybe 40' away the entire time, I'm the only adult doing that, he never reacts at all.  He starts heading back toward the sidelines where the parents are, so I walk back over there and then start walking out onto the field, between two areas of kids, looking at him.  He holds his hands up as if to say "hold on a  minute".

So cool, pretty weird, since its been like 10 minutes of me clearly trying to find out what the fuck we're supposed to be doing, but whatever.  So, knowing the guy knows I want to talk to him I wait.

I wait for for another ten minutes.  He never walks over (like 30' away, he's still not 'actively coaching' or whatever).

My son, of course, knows the session started at 6pm, knows its after 6pm, and is increasingly feeling bad / negative about the whole thing during all of this.  He was already pretty nervous.

After that ten minutes, I ask my son if he wants to leave and he does, so we go.  No interaction with the guy at all.

Surreal.  I've literally never had another experience like it.

If it wasn't related to my son / his excitement / nervousness to start / whatever it would just be funny in that "you won't believe!" kinda way.  Instead I'm in some weird state of bafflement and wanting to punch the fucker in the throat.  But I guess I'm an adult, so I'll just look for a different program.   :-)

Mark

Strange.  You’re sure he knew who you and your son were?  Did you email the guy for an explanation?

Howdy,

1 hour ago, EJB said:

Strange.  You’re sure he knew who you and your son were?  Did you email the guy for an explanation?

I honestly have no idea.  I certainly emailed him that we were coming, but I didn't include a photo or anything.  :-)

Even if he didn't know who we are though... It was just bizarre.  The guy is a 30 to 70 feet away from me for 20 minutes with me standing up, son next to me, looking at him.  And half way through that time, I walked out toward him and he motioned "hold on" or whatever.  Then proceeded to remain 30 to 70 feet away, walking around, maybe talking to a kid every couple minutes.  It would have taken him a max of 15 seconds to walk over and say "Hey, what's up?"

At this point, we just taking a pass.  There are other folks and programs around and we're just chalking this one up to "better to find out now".  There's no point in me emailing him when there's no scenario I can construct that justifies that behavior.

Mark

Edited by marka

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I honestly have no idea.  I certainly emailed him that we were coming, but I didn't include a photo or anything.  :-)

Even if he didn't know who we are though... It was just bizarre.  The guy is a 30 to 70 feet away from me for 20 minutes with me standing up, son next to me, looking at him.  And half way through that time, I walked out toward him and he motioned "hold on" or whatever.  Then proceeded to remain 30 to 70 feet away, walking around, maybe talking to a kid every couple minutes.  It would have taken him a max of 15 seconds to walk over and say "Hey, what's up?"

At this point, we just taking a pass.  There are other folks and programs around and we're just chalking this one up to "better to find out now".  There's no point in me emailing him when there's no scenario I can construct that justifies that behavior.

Mark

Mark this sounds extremely bizarre.  The guy sounds like he is on a ego trip and all about appearances.  

I have a question about your son ; would your son get better gainsfor his soccer by doing a intense training regimen . Hone his athleticism:  faster ,stronger, reflexes ,vertical leap ,broad jump.  Forty yard sprint with a 40 yard jog ,forward  backwards side ways.  Roman chairs against a partner,  if you fall the othe team mate falls . Lots of squats  ,squats with a vertical leap.       If his fundamentals are good.  A program like this is all he needs.  He just needs another 3 dedicated players to work together as a group. Hold each other accountable.    The level of there game will at a entire different level   . 

Howdy,

7 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Mark this sounds extremely bizarre.  The guy sounds like he is on a ego trip and all about appearances.  

I have a question about your son ; would your son get better gainsfor his soccer by doing a intense training regimen . Hone his athleticism:  faster ,stronger, reflexes ,vertical leap ,broad jump.  Forty yard sprint with a 40 yard jog ,forward  backwards side ways.  Roman chairs against a partner,  if you fall the othe team mate falls . Lots of squats  ,squats with a vertical leap.       If his fundamentals are good.  A program like this is all he needs.  He just needs another 3 dedicated players to work together as a group. Hold each other accountable.    The level of there game will at a entire different level   . 

It's possible / likely that a work out program like that would benefit him greatly.  But:

* he needs a place to do it (we're in Ohio, there's still snow on the ground).

* there are a lot of soccer specific skills / fundamentals that he needs work on.

* he's 11 and still needs to have fun playing soccer.  A work out program alone isn't going to be "fun".

Mark

20 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

With the guys I play with, mostly the folks that have newer / better equipment don't play as well as the guys sporting the 20 year old stuff.  :-)

Mark

It should never be about who can skate circles around who. Don't chirp in a friendly skate, period. Hockey is a niche sport, the more people that play it the better, regardless of skill level. I wonder if it would be more popular if people didn't fear the barrier to entry that is being ridiculed by the insecure who think they are better than they actually are. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

It should never be about who can skate circles around who. Don't chirp in a friendly skate, period. Hockey is a niche sport, the more people that play it the better, regardless of skill level. I wonder if it would be more popular if people didn't fear the barrier to entry that is being ridiculed by the insecure who think they are better than they actually are. 

As somebody who played in a rookie (read: guys who had literally never put hockey pads on before) league, it’s definitely a problem. 

We had a few guys who shouldn’t be there (including me which is hilarious because I’m terrible) who would help everyone. Basically player coaches. 

And then we had the guys in the league that just wanted to rack up their goal totals by being superstars in the wrong division. Those guys caused more than a few players on my team to stop playing altogether.

Well, related but separate I guess. Either way we’re talking about people being pushed away from the sport because of the hotshots that aren’t really all that good themselves.