Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Last night could easily be one of the worst of my life. My friend decided to get drunk and hit his girlfriend (hopefully ex by now) in front of me so I intervened. My friend has about 65 pounds and 6 inches on me, needless to say I have a huge shiner and the right side of my face is swollen as hell, and I cut my knuckle on his teeth. Luckily another friend came in about 2 minutes into the fight and his girlfriend got away in that time or things might have turned out a lot worse for me and for her.

Last night could easily be one of the worst of my life. My friend decided to get drunk and hit his girlfriend (hopefully ex by now) in front of me so I intervened. My friend has about 65 pounds and 6 inches on me, needless to say I have a huge shiner and the right side of my face is swollen as hell, and I cut my knuckle on his teeth. Luckily another friend came in about 2 minutes into the fight and his girlfriend got away in that time or things might have turned out a lot worse for me and for her.

That takes guts to stand up to your friend like that man, you did the right thing.

I still have a half dozen Oxycontin tablets from when I hurt my back a few years ago. Getting close to popping one of those and heading off to "I love you all!"-land. Just knowing I have that option is comforting but knowing that it is a short hop to the methadone clinic keeps me in check. Buckets of ice water until my toes burn seem to be working okay but, damn, this is a stubborn joint.

I know the feeling. I sprained my ankle back in the middle of July at a team party and it's still not right. Playing in my playoff games and in Toronto certainly didn't help either.

I know the feeling. I sprained my ankle back in the middle of July at a team party and it's still not right. Playing in my playoff games and in Toronto certainly didn't help either.

I so hate ankle problems. I guess a major knee blowout would be far worse, but mine have bugged me for so long, I just think a bum ankle is the worst thing ever.

Hit the post 6 times in 2 games yesterday. Not just a skimming of the post, but I hit the post so dead on and hard that the damn people in the parking lot could hear it...

You're skating looked pretty good to me :). Do you tape your ankle? I was wondering if that would help. I just didn't realize how much ankles come into play while skating until you notice them. I've played with a broken toe with no problem but this is really tough.

Tomorrow will be the sixth week since I cut my finger on a miter saw and it hasn't healed compeletly yet. It's doing much better and it should be fully healed by the end of the week or early next week (hopefully) but that injury coupled with another shoulder injury means that I'm now on my eight week away from hockey..

You're skating looked pretty good to me :). Do you tape your ankle? I was wondering if that would help. I just didn't realize how much ankles come into play while skating until you notice them. I've played with a broken toe with no problem but this is really tough.

I'm no doctor...But I'd think taping would be beneficial if it was a sprain, or stability issue. You took a shot on the bone...so it's a pain issue, correct? Taping may offer a little more padding...but I doubt it will help much. I like the skate guards btw....where did you pick those up?

Hanging up the skates.

Ever since I had my shoulder injury, I've been playing scared - scared of getting hurt again. Whenever I get the puck I worry about contact, whenever someone skates towards me I'm trying to get rid of the puck so that they don't come close to me.

Tried wearing shoulder pads, didn't help. So after my last shift in my game last night I knew I had to walk away.

I'll still skate by myself as physically I don't hurt, but I won't play in an organized setting indefinitely.

I'm no doctor...But I'd think taping would be beneficial if it was a sprain, or stability issue. You took a shot on the bone...so it's a pain issue, correct? Taping may offer a little more padding...but I doubt it will help much. I like the skate guards btw....where did you pick those up?

You are probably right- it's not like the ankle gives out-it just hurts to move it. The skate guards I picked up at good old Kenesky's. I have asked all over the city and no one knew how to get them and then I walked into Kenesky's and they had three pairs on the shelf. I plan on wearing them all the time. Didn't notice them on my skates the one game I played with them and I don't want to take another shot of my foot or ankle.

Hanging up the skates.

Ever since I had my shoulder injury, I've been playing scared - scared of getting hurt again. Whenever I get the puck I worry about contact, whenever someone skates towards me I'm trying to get rid of the puck so that they don't come close to me.

Tried wearing shoulder pads, didn't help. So after my last shift in my game last night I knew I had to walk away.

I'll still skate by myself as physically I don't hurt, but I won't play in an organized setting indefinitely.

What about a non-contact league or finding a shinny session with like-minded players? I play with a bunch of decent guys every Saturday and there is no hitting, hooking, clutching or grabbing or anything that approaches physicality except maybe leaning into guys while chasing or carrying the puck. Everyone is vigilant about keeping everyone honest and it is a good level of play. I am likely the weakest guy out there and I have been knocked down twice and both times were my fault. Find a group like that and you can still enjoy the game.

Hanging up the skates.

It's a shitty decision to have to make, eh? I got slew-footed, landed funny on my shoulder and ended up separating my shoulder. It killed me to walk away from the game (for 3 weeks) but I had to. When I got back to playing, I was tenative until the first contact without any pain, then I knew I was good to go.

I never realized how many things in day-to-day life I took for granted with healthy shoulders.

What about a non-contact league or finding a shinny session with like-minded players? I play with a bunch of decent guys every Saturday and there is no hitting, hooking, clutching or grabbing or anything that approaches physicality except maybe leaning into guys while chasing or carrying the puck. Everyone is vigilant about keeping everyone honest and it is a good level of play. I am likely the weakest guy out there and I have been knocked down twice and both times were my fault. Find a group like that and you can still enjoy the game.

I already play in a non-contact league.

Non-contact leagues, in my opinion, tend to be the dirtiest leagues to play in. It's like everybody knows there's supposed to be no contact, which given hockey's nature is impossible, so when you do make contact, be dirty because you'll probably get a penalty if the contact is anything more that "gentle". Slew-foots, two-handers and spears were quite common in my league. Having disinterested refs doesn't help either.

I already play in a non-contact league.

the only thing you have to give up is beer league hockey. Find a good bunch of guys doing open hockey, let them know where you're coming from with the shoulder(i.e. "Get near me to put the body on me and I will fuck you up so badly you will be sorry you ever bought skates."), and then have some fun with hockey. Beer league hockey is always one shift away from a major catastrophe, intentional or not. After not skating for 15 months due to my back a long, long time ago, I came back to my pick-up group(I had collected the money for 7 years before I couldn't play) with the rules that don't screw with me due to my back or I will kill you. Everybody understood and I wasn't going to stop playing. You don't have to either.

With all the weight I gained and conditioning lost sitting around with a concussion over the winter, I feel like a slug out there. I appreciate the compliment, but I know what I'm capable of doing and not being able to do that is very frustrating to me personally. As for taping, I tried that before the game and it didn't really help. Nor did trying the stiffer RBK skates, in fact, the stiffness caused more pain. I do have some neoprene wraps that I use when I'm home, but they don't fit well in a shoe or skate. In your case, something like a neoprene wrap or bunga pad would probably help if the pain is coming from rubbing on the surface. If it's just pain, then you might want to see a doctor as it really shouldn't be lingering this long.

the only thing you have to give up is beer league hockey. Find a good bunch of guys doing open hockey, let them know where you're coming from with the shoulder(i.e. "Get near me to put the body on me and I will fuck you up so badly you will be sorry you ever bought skates."), and then have some fun with hockey. Beer league hockey is always one shift away from a major catastrophe, intentional or not. After not skating for 15 months due to my back a long, long time ago, I came back to my pick-up group(I had collected the money for 7 years before I couldn't play) with the rules that don't screw with me due to my back or I will kill you. Everybody understood and I wasn't going to stop playing. You don't have to either.

Friendly pick up groups are a great alternative in cases like this. At least you know those guys aren't going to try and kill you to win a t-shirt for being the league champs.

JR, I had a bud step on a guy's stick blade, tear up his ACL and never play again. he ended up meeting this incredibly rich woman from DC and marrying her! You never know......

JR, I had a bud step on a guy's stick blade, tear up his ACL and never play again. he ended up meeting this incredibly rich woman from DC and marrying her! You never know......

Haha I dunno about all that...

With all the weight I gained and conditioning lost sitting around with a concussion over the winter, I feel like a slug out there. I appreciate the compliment, but I know what I'm capable of doing and not being able to do that is very frustrating to me personally. As for taping, I tried that before the game and it didn't really help. Nor did trying the stiffer RBK skates, in fact, the stiffness caused more pain. I do have some neoprene wraps that I use when I'm home, but they don't fit well in a shoe or skate. In your case, something like a neoprene wrap or bunga pad would probably help if the pain is coming from rubbing on the surface. If it's just pain, then you might want to see a doctor as it really shouldn't be lingering this long.

Friendly pick up groups are a great alternative in cases like this. At least you know those guys aren't going to try and kill you to win a t-shirt for being the league champs.

You could trip on the street and fall. I'm sure you could find a way.Somehow it just seems wrong that you are not playing hockey considering the passion you have for the sport. However, if you feel that it is too risky to your health to do something you obviously love, I have nothing but respect for you having the wisdom to make that difficult call.

With all the weight I gained and conditioning lost sitting around with a concussion over the winter, I feel like a slug out there.

Considering I had never met you in person until the skate in Toronto, I did think you looked heavier and slower than before :).

Thank God for natural handicapping.

So jump ship. Believe me, colleges don't give a rat's ass about undergraduates unless massive scholarships are involved. They'll replace you in about ninety seconds, and the team in PA will be glad to have you.

I'm not suggesting you uproot on the strength of 'a call', but if the hockey college is serious, you'll find your former school surpassingly indifferent; they'll complain, sure, but only superficially. Just get the offer from PA in writing (say you need it to 'break faith' with the prior school), and you're rolling. What you don't want is to find yourself with no school.

So jump ship. Believe me, colleges don't give a rat's ass about undergraduates unless massive scholarships are involved. They'll replace you in about ninety seconds, and the team in PA will be glad to have you.

I'm not suggesting you uproot on the strength of 'a call', but if the hockey college is serious, you'll find your former school surpassingly indifferent; they'll complain, sure, but only superficially. Just get the offer from PA in writing (say you need it to 'break faith' with the prior school), and you're rolling. What you don't want is to find yourself with no school.

Ah. Mr. Law Goalie, you are so bookish. It's good to have a resident "college boy" on the forum. Seriously.

Hanging up the skates.

Really sorry to hear about that JR. Hopefully something good does come out of your situation. You have my condolences.

I've just got a random college question. Is there any way of trying out for a college team like an open tryout. Cause the thing is for me, that hockey and school just completely conflict, and my parents don't want me trying out for rep. I'm thinking the only way I could get a shot at this thing, is to do a tryout, or maybe speak personally to the coach...but I dunno.