Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

...and what they get for it:

So, Artuhkyn (sp?) gets 3 games for a slew foot...and Ovechkin gets a fine.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295837

Now, I haven't seen Ovey's to compare...is this a case of one play being so much worse than the other...?or a Star player versus a marginal player. (tongue firmly in cheek)

And, doesn't the CBA limit fines to $2500. Whoah...big hit on a guy with a $124M contract. <_<

His second slew foot this season and third incident in a year or less. I can see why they chose to suspend Artyukhin

I saw both, and I actually thought Ovechkin's was a little more dangerous. The guy that Artyukhin slewfooted went into the boards sideways, where Peverley went into the boards feet first. Both were dangerous, and Peverley was OK, but if I had just seen both without any more information I would've said Ovie's was worse. I was thinking right aftewards that if the NHLPA wants to eliminate incidents like this and blatant headshots, they have to set an example and suspend Ovechkin. If they fined Artyukhin for his first slew foot (and he's a repeat offender) then it makes sense that Ovechkin only gets a fine as well. However, I think superstar or not, if he does it again, make him sit for a few games.

This doesn't reek of superstar favoritism as much as past events in the last year.

I was thinking right aftewards that if the NHLPA wants to eliminate incidents like this and blatant headshots, they have to set an example and suspend Ovechkin.

The NHLPA has absolutely no control over suspensions. Colin Campbell is the one that decides who is going to be suspended and for how long. Given his consistency over the years, one has to assume that he consults a ouija board or throws darts at a wall while blindfolded when making those decisions.

typical ruutu family play, i think its pretty bad that the commentators didn't pick up on it until like a minute later

hope tuckers ok

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295920

Ruutu gets three games for hitting Tucker from behind.

Video -

Definitely a dirty, dirty hit and deserving of any suspension he got - in this case...three games.

That hit happens a number of times every night, and Tucker has thrown hundreds of hits just like that over his career. The only difference is that Tucker was injured on this particular play. If he doesn't have to go off the ice in a stretcher, there is no suspension at all. When the NHL starts suspending guys for the same plays, without an injury, I'll give them credit for doing the right thing. Until then, it's yet another case of the NHL responding to the result and not the cause.

I was thinking right aftewards that if the NHLPA wants to eliminate incidents like this and blatant headshots, they have to set an example and suspend Ovechkin.

The NHLPA has absolutely no control over suspensions. Colin Campbell is the one that decides who is going to be suspended and for how long. Given his consistency over the years, one has to assume that he consults a ouija board or throws darts at a wall while blindfolded when making those decisions.

Thanks for the correction. When I was thinking Campbell I was just thinking the NHLPA as well.

As far as the Ruutu hit goes.... I don't really know. Like Chadd said, that hit happens every game atleast 3 or 4 times. It was kind of a freak thing how Tucker went out like a light though. I'm not really sure what to think of it.

It's still amazing that players can come up through the minor hockey systems where they preach ad nauseum that if you see numbers you don't hit the guy, even to this day I just place my hand on the back of the their pants when I see their numbers, to let them know I'm there, it's a physical impossibility for me to hit a guy from behind.

That being said NHL hockey is a different game and these guys are flying around trying to hit everything in sight, Tucker didn't take the hit very well and I still can't comprehend what the hell he was doing on the play. Why put yourself in that position if you're in the offensive zone and you've just passed the puck, what do you think is going to happen?

Ruutu should have let up, but he was probably thinking 'fuck it it's darcy tucker, this dude would bite my nose off if it got him a goal and a hit count' as noted above, tucker got what he gives, I hope he's alright because you don't want to see dudes getting hammered and taken off on stretchers but it happens and when it does the league jumps up and throws down obligatory suspensions that don't matter and then changes nothing about rulings and penalties, just bury their heads in the sand.

It was kind of a freak thing how Tucker went out like a light though. I'm not really sure what to think of it.

I know exactly what to think.... karma. He sent it around his whole career, and it came back to him.

It's still amazing that players can come up through the minor hockey systems where they preach ad nauseum that if you see numbers you don't hit the guy...

Most of the guys that make it to the NHL have learned to finish their check no matter what. Without showing that kind of "effort" or "grit" they usually don't make it to the NHL.

what about Mike Richards on David Booth last night. 5min major and game misconduct

That was soooo cheap.. I hope the league throws the book at him. And my prayers go out to Booth

From the replays I've seen, Richards hit looks no different to when Stevens dummied Lindros, or anyone else for that matter. Pretty near identical. When you play contact sports, injuries happen. It's unfortunate, but how many times are players told "keep your head up", "don't admire your pass", or "watch out when in the trolley tracks". If you're cutting across that teams blue line, not paying attention, you're asking to get dummied.

From the replays I've seen, Richards hit looks no different to when Stevens dummied Lindros, or anyone else for that matter. Pretty near identical. When you play contact sports, injuries happen. It's unfortunate, but how many times are players told "keep your head up", "don't admire your pass", or "watch out when in the trolley tracks". If you're cutting across that teams blue line, not paying attention, you're asking to get dummied.

Unless of course you blind side the guy. That's perfectly acceptable, obviously. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Richards is a scumbag but that hit was borderline at best. Hit like that just looks that much worse when the guy isn't paying attention.

Stevens was a headhunting mercenary that should have been suspended dozens of times over his career. There is a difference between good, hard hockey and trying to end the career of another player.

Annnddd no suspension. Saw that one coming.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=296083

Someone needs to give Colin Campbell a concussion that keeps him in bed for a week or more and we'll see if his opinion changes.

Chadd...not sure if you know this yet or not, but Campbell dismissed himself from ruling on that hit due to his son being a Panther. I've said it before, and I'll said it again. Dirty, but clean hit. Homerism aside.

Richards took the head though, and since the nhl is trying to cut down on those, he should have been suspended, it was cheap and dirty.

Richards took the head though, and since the nhl is trying to cut down on those, he should have been suspended, it was cheap and dirty.

The NHL is not trying to cut down on head shots, their actions speak far louder than any words they may offer on the subject.

The NHL is not trying to cut down on head shots, their actions speak far louder than any words they may offer on the subject.

The only thing Campbell is trying to cut down on is consistency in discipline. He's doing well.