Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevelknievel

helmets + glasses?

does anyone on here wear glasses when they play? ive been told contacts wouldnt be good for my eyes and even my new helmet squeezes the crap out of my frames is there anything i can do to relieve the pressure on them

wore glasses + helmet my whole life.....cut out foam/styrofoam (VN or EPP) by the temples and behind ears to shape of frames (until you put on helmet and can move glasses freely)

once in awhile you'll take a bump that shifts your glasses no big deal

exacto blades....do it slowly and carefully...my mission helmet knifed my fingers up good

put helmet on little bigger size

mark wear glasses arms meet foam, cut out notches

then feel where the end arms touch foam behind ear (shave at an angle)

My cousin wears Rec Specs while he plays. Always an option and most places do carry or can order some in for ya. Of course they are like goggles with an elstic band around the back of your head. ;)

mat not be the prettiest but the do their job

Ive worn glasses with my Rbk 4K, just make sure your nosepiece is adjusted correctly or it will either slide down your nose, or press against it, leaving marks.

I've worn Cascade and currently a Mission Intake helmet with no problems. They squash them on the sides, but actually make them tighter so my glasses don't move around while I'm playing.

How much do those Rec Specs cost? I only have to wear glasses to see far away and it sure would help to see the pass coming sooner.

Best decision for my hockey career was getting contacts. They will make your eyes worse over the time, but I've been wearing contacts for six years now and would never go back to glasses.

If you cannot wear contacts, I'd suggest Rec Specs or some sort of sports goggles with the elastic on the sides. They'll have more room and clearance than regular glasses frames

My cousin wears Rec Specs while he plays. Always an option and most places do carry or can order some in for ya. Of course they are like goggles with an elstic band around the back of your head. ;)

mat not be the prettiest but the do their job

Recspecs did not work well for me because the elastic band would move whenever I put my helmet on. A couple of my teammates have had the same experience.

Best alternative are glasses with thin temples. Don't laugh but I brought my helmet to the optometrist while i selected my new frames. My glasses fit perfectly.

You can also try those sport sunglasses and swap out the lenses with prescription ones. This can get pricey though.

Alright, Steve, that's a tough one. I'm an eye doc, and if you absolutely cannot wear contact lenses, then cutting out the foam to fit your glasses in your helmet is one possibility, but the rec specs with the elastic band seem to be a better answer. I think there would be a way for you to fit the elastic band around your head so your helmet doesn't push it down. But, I'm sure you'll just have to experiment a little with it.

My main question is this: You cannot wear contacts for what reason??? Did an eye doctor tell you this, or did you hear it from somebody else? If you have a tricky prescription, that's one thing. Sometimes we can't fit people in contacts with prescriptions that are out of the ordinary. HOWEVER, I don't see many patients at all that fall into that category. If it was me, I would look into seeing if you can wear a daily disposable contact lens if you aren't planning on wearing them every day. That way, you don't have to buy a lot of them, and only use them when you play hockey. Pitch them after the game and use a new pair for the next time. I have plenty of patients that only use their contacts for sports in this manner.

See an eye doctor if you haven't seen one yet. Contacts WILL NOT hurt your eyes now or in the future if used properly, and are the best thing for hockey.

Best decision for my hockey career was getting contacts. They will make your eyes worse over the time, but I've been wearing contacts for six years now and would never go back to glasses.

Getting contacts was huge for my game. I'm 32 now and started wearing glasses when I was about 9 or 10. Between the time when I started playing hockey at age 16 to about age 25 I never used any type of vision correction during hockey. I literally didn't see a pass coming until it was within a foot or two of my blade yet somehow I played well. I'd have to really squint to see when a penalty was up or wait until the penalty time was totally off the scoreboard before I jumped. Not sure what my exact vision is/was but I HAD to wear glasses to drive. For the record my contact prescription is -3.75 in both eyes although they did start out at -3.25

After I got contacts, it opened up a whole new experience for me playing hockey. It was amazing how much better I saw plays develop. My mom has worked for an eye doctor for a long time and always asked me if I was interested in contacts but the thought of sticking something in my eye made me feel uneasy. YOU WILL GET USED TO IT. :)

For the record my contact prescription is -3.75 in both eyes although they did start out at -3.25

Wow... mine is only -1.25 and I couldn't imagine playing without my contacts.

I have silhouette frames (ultra light and bendable wire frames with non-hinged arms) and have never had to cut my helmet at all to fit my glasses. I would guess it really comes down to what type of frames you have, your head shape, and your helmet choice whether or not you have to cut the foam, or get away with keeping your helmet unaltered.

For the record my contact prescription is -3.75 in both eyes although they did start out at -3.25

Wow... mine is only -1.25 and I couldn't imagine playing without my contacts.

I feel blind then...-6.25 in both eyes here LOL

For rec hockey (and if I'm lazy), I normally wear a pair of plastic wraparound frames with transition lenses... they start to darken in tint when you are in sunlight...

For usual hockey, i play with disposable daily lenses... put them on before the session.. then chuck them out when I'm done. No worries about having to clean or wash the lenses.

Approximately 20 bucks for a 30-pack of daily disposables is the average price.

Yeh but the initial contact exam will run him $100 with insurance, $150 without. And ftw, playing with glasses is a dangerous business.

I feel blind then...-6.25 in both eyes here LOL

When I started wearing contacts 8 years ago I was about there but over the last couple years my eyes have gotten better. at a -4.25 now.

I wear them all the time so I use the longer ones I usually get about 3-4 weeks out of a pair.

I think mine are $30 for a box of 3 pairs. Acuvue Oasys. I tried the other cheaper ones but when I ride my motorcycle the air coming into the help would dry them out. These work great. Also work great spending all day on a computer