Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeyJ0506

Pittsburgh

Looking for two players for Lower C at Southpointe in Canonsburg, had a few guys that weren't able to play. $115 per player.

Can any of the guys compare the Neville Island leagues to the Warrendale Bladerunners? My team is looking to move to RMU and were very competitive in the C2 league in Warrendale. Any help would be appreciated.

I played in the Warrendale league about 4 years ago now. I believe we were the C2 league, but I cannot specifically remember, I know that the team I used to play on would probably smoke most of the competition in the D-West league my team is in now. It's really a toss up. The skill levels in the league vary from season to season with some of the teams loading up in the summer with college kids home from school for a few months. Even within the one league there is a vast difference in skill level between teams. You have teams that have junior players that, if they feel like it, are going to put up 12-15 goals on the teams at the bottom of the standings in any given game. You also have guys playing on both C and D level teams, and some teams have really good goalies that compensate for their team's overall lack of skill, or some teams that would be immensely better if they had a competent goalie. Also, more often than not, the team you play against in the regular season does not resemble the team you see in the playoffs. They say "All teams must wear matching and numbered jerseys" but it's not enforced at all, and makes it impossible to roster check any team that is most likely sand-bagging.

What I am trying to say is it is a complete grab-bag as to what you get depending on time of year, and each team's individual players. If you feel that every player on your team is a competent hockey player, can skate well, and played at a higher level, then you should probably not be in the D league. Alot of the D league teams have beginners and novices. I guess it's your call, but I wouldn't want to be in a league where I steam roll every team by 8-10 goals. Had a game like that recently and it wasn't fun for either team. (We did the steam-rolling) (PS. we are middle-of-the-pack in the standings going into the playoffs.)

Thanks for the reply Joey. I'm assuming we would play C but seeing that its the highest league available I was curious.

It's honestly a crap-shoot. Summer is more intense and higher-skilled. Right about now teams start getting some college kids home that they added to their rosters just for playoffs and they sandbag like crazy. I'm proud to say my roster does not really change night in-and-out anymore.

Well our captain was dragging his feet and we missed the registration date so it looks like one more season in cranberry

Neville Island is just a hard rec league to get into as it is. They lost a TON of ice slots because the RMU teams changed their practice times to the evening. Also why the majority of the games this coming season are after 10:30 for all teams.

This will probably be irrelevant for 99.99% of potential readers but figured I'd put it out there because in my consistent lurking here I've noticed a slight uptick in the number of women participating and I've also met increasing numbers of new ladies in locker rooms recently, so here goes: if you're a woman playing in Pittsburgh and looking to play with a team, I play with the Piranhas and we've lost a few of our ranks to relocations, concussions, pregnancy, etc... If you are or you know a female hockey player in the Pittsburgh area looking for a women's team, get in touch- we welcome ladies to come skate at our practices and if things click we can take it from there... we're just a recreational team that practices regularly and aims for tourneys and scrimmages, so don't really 'recruit' and I'm certainly not speaking in any 'official' capacity but I see this board as a pretty good resource and I'm not sure if anyone other Piranhas read or post here (ladies? are you out there?)

Also, there are three other organized women's teams as well as a few developmental programs in Pittsburgh that I assume people already know about, but just in case they don't, I'm happy to forward along info and resources if anyone else wants it.. just get in touch! I've found myself sharing info about women's and co-ed programs and leagues a lot lately, for some reason, so why not extend the welcome offer here too..

Thanks!

Airport Ice Arena is now having an adult league...games are saturdays between 1pm and 5pm.

Any one interested?

I am in need of some players for Apes44 and I's team.

Could really use a defenseman and a pair of forwards.

PM me if you are interested. I will go into fees and such with you there.

My team at Ice castle decided not to play this fall and I'm looking for a new team. If anyone needs a player in C minor or D level I would be open to play any day of the week. I could play at any ice rink in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. I like to play forward but if you need defense I will play D. I am open to sub in on games if no spot is open. PM me and we can exchange contact info.

Looking to play some Spring/Summer men's league. I'm a defenseman, played AA, D1 ACHA and some low level Junior A at the end of my career, if anyone has openings on a team.

Looking for one player for the Summer season at RMU, it's D-League, but plays more like a lower C-League.

Attempting to put a team in at Hess Ice Rink in New Castle, PA in the fall (2014).

Games are Wednesday nights and Sunday Afternoons.

Working out the details, but I need players that can be there all the time. We're going to carry a small roster. (6F, 4D, 1G, 1 or 2 Subs).

At the moment I need 2 Forwards, 2 Defense, and a goalie.