Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NuggyBuggy

Which edge checker ?

Howdy,

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

Mine's good. Unless somethings bent I don't see how it could be inaccurate.

Mine has been fine as well, at least in terms of "are my edges wildly off" type of stuff.  I would need to have better measuring tools to determine whether this or the "real" edge checkers were more accurate.  Obviously at a minimum it will be consistent, which is really the primary thing I cared about since I could reference the local pro shop's name brand tool.

I would hope that the person building these has a fixture to afix the reference sticker on that takes into account how the magnet/angle is fixed to the piece.  If the magnet / angle wasn't perpendicular to the cross piece, that could make the sticker look crooked, but actually be correct.

Or it could be $30 measuring tool QA.  :-)

Mark

Edited by marka

I just want to follow up with my experience on the edge checker. I received a sincere apology from the owner, who said the edge checker was surely damaged during shipping (it was shipped in an envelope). He said he has corrected the issue and I accepted his offer for a replacement. The new one came in a nice little plastic  carrying case, was square, and the gauge was applied perfectly. This one seems much better and should do the job.

• Like 1

Ok just bought a sharpener and looking at this thread and there isnt much new info.  I dont want to break the bank and from what i have read it currently looks like ebay is the way to go.  Shipping from pro sharp is insane at 29 bucks just to ship.  I would rather buy once than cry twice.  Any other feedback.

Are you sharpening your own skates?    If so .  When your skate is in the holder  . Lightly kiss the wheel on the toe and the heal.  A) the marks should look the same.  B) a centered skate will leave a rectangular mark . If it's off the mark will become a trapezoid  . If so the wide part is hitting the wheel first. Wide part on top the blade has to be risen the opposite lowered.   Double check me here for I extremely dyslexic and often have things correct in my mind and say opposite.  .       Blade checker if you're paying to have your skates sharpened 1) take a sharpy and run it on the blade bottom.  If the grind is off it will be clear . 2) a dime works as good as any blade checker . 

I do professional sharpening and blade profiling.  I use The SSM2 sharpener.  I used the machine for awhile then I loved the machine so much I became a Rep for sales and service of the brand.  The North American distributor has taken me on to cover sales and service.  The machine is built and engineered in Sweden.   I really love the machine.  The price point is very worth the investment for a hockey families..more importantly you control the quality. 

On 9/26/2017 at 9:38 PM, jmiro said:

Ok just bought a sharpener and looking at this thread and there isnt much new info.  I dont want to break the bank and from what i have read it currently looks like ebay is the way to go.  Shipping from pro sharp is insane at 29 bucks just to ship.  I would rather buy once than cry twice.  Any other feedback.

What machine do you have? 

5 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

They are good machines.  

Thats what i was learn on as well and i got one for 550 shipped.  Hard to pass up.  Went with the ebay edge checker option.

Bumping an old thread here

I am not sure which edge checker the shop has (pretty sure it's a blademaster) but is there really a difference between these two magnetic replacement angles aside from $5?  or should I try and match these to the edge checker?

http://blademaster.com/web/usa/en/blademaster/251-br1001.html

http://blademaster.com/web/usa/en/blademaster/255-br201.html

13 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It's the length.

The BR100 is the standard square, the BR200 is the shorter (consumer-grade) one.  

It'll still work but it won't go to the edge of the square.

Thanks for the info. I will probably need the one for the BR100

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

Reviving this post and taking into account flare blades, which is the best edge checker you have seen or used, regardless of price?

Flare edge checker by Blackstone. Works on all skates and steel.