Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fresh

heat moulding

hey guys, i've heard a lot of mixed things about heat moulding skates. people say that all high end skates now must be heat moulded to get the best results and others tell me its bad for your skates and just break them in the old fashioned way. could anyone share their knowledge on this please and thanks?

Heat molding is not bad for the skates, its also not totally necessary. It will help the skates to mold to your foot and break in faster than doing the old way.

heat molded my vapor xxxx's and it made a huge difference. got rid of some of the gaps in the skates between my foot and boot.

as well, same as my graf 703's

the only skate i wouldnt heat mold are my easton 1200C where it specifically states on the skates not to do so. other wise i would go with a heat molding for sure. it makes a world of a difference and in my vapor xxxx skates and the graf 703's it helped relieve pressure points as well.

hope this helps. :D

Do it. I had to bake my skates twice, but it's completely worth it. Reduces a lot of hot spots, cramping, and foot fatigue by speeding up the break in time.

I'm not sure what the point of buying a top of the line skate is without heat molding it. Hell, I'll go further and say that you'd be wasting your $$$ if you bought a CCM U+ type skate and didnt heat mold it.

I'm not sure what the point of buying a top of the line skate is without heat molding it. Hell, I'll go further and say that you'd be wasting your $$$ if you bought a CCM U+ type skate and didnt heat mold it.

thats the point i made to some of the guys i've talked to, they just don't get it. these aren't people that work in my LHS but the guys in the locker room incase anyone was wondering and thank you everyone for clearing that up for me

I can't imagine skating in a U+ series skate without heating it - you might as well rivet your blades to the box and try skating in them. The U+ pro skate changes a lot when you heat it.

The One95 with the Alive material needs to be heat molded as the shell of the boot is designed to be thermomolded to the shape of the foot. Not doing it would be simply stupid.

The CCM U+ has a special foam that is designed to expand and compact where needed in response to the heat fitting...not doing it would be ridiculous.

They design these skates to be heat molded...why on earth people wouldn't do it is beyond me.

It's one of those things where you can't really apply a number, like the boot fits 8 times better after baking etc... It's really something that you need to experience to understand the benefits. Like others have mentioned, not baking something like a u+ is stupid. Most places include the baking into the price of the skate, if you're buying from a LHS. You don't really have anything to lose by doing it, the boot will fit better.

Baking a skate that is meant to be baked does wonders in terms of fit. My logic is if you can bake the boot to have it form to your foot almost instantly, why take the long route and suffer by breaking them in yourself?

It saves time, adds comfort and you can take advantage of the skates almost right away.

Hey,

I bought a new pair of Graf G-series skates and was wondering is it alright to bake them for a 2nd time? I did the first bake when i bought them at the store, and it has been 2 months since then and I still feel some discomfort towards the sides of my feet towards the toe cap.

So is it safe to bake it a second time?

thx

My understanding is that for most skates, 3 times is the max. I baked my Eastons twice and now they fit great. My friends have told me that they, more often than not, have to bake their skates twice. Contact Graf or the shop where you purchased them and see what is recommended if you're concerned.

Yes there is.

If you have a convection oven then it's great because that's what skate ovens are - mini convection ovens. You can probably follow the baking instructions that came along with your skates.

Baking with your regular conventional oven is alot more trickier because conventional ovens don't distribute heat evenly in skates. It can be done though. There's a youtube video done by Inline Warehouse that shows you how to bake your skates using a standard oven. I'll try to look for it.

Note: from what I can remember on that video, the guy was pulling up on his laces on his freshly baked skates. Don't do that. Always pull to the side first because the eyelets can pop right out.