Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theelite

Picking the right stick length/flex/lie/curve.

Didn't manage to get any good search results when looking for some more info on this topic, so my apologies if this has already been asked a lot. Or if someone post a link, that'd be great.

I've played in a beginner hockey league for just about two hears now, steadily improving my skills and stats. I'm trying to develop where I can and when it make sense. The next area that I'm looking into is my shooting...

I've experimented with a variety of sticks, lengths, flexes, and lies, and i'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's "best" for me. I know that most of it is preference, but where do I start? I am by no means a great hockey player and had the opportunity to start playing hockey as an adult recently.

I'm 5'8" 185 lbs.

Sticks that I've used:

Warrior AK27 Shaft + Bauer PM9 blade (this goes to my chin on skates)

Bauer X40 PM9 Lie 5 (uncut, goes to my eyebrows on skates)

Mission Ti Boyes Lie 6 (goes to my nose on skates)

One55 Shaft + Easton Sakic Lie 5.5 blade (goes to my nose on skates)

I've had a variety of successes during my hockey season with each of those sticks, but most recently have been doing well with the X40. My only complaint is that my wrist shots take too long to load and I think this is due to the length of the stick.

One other issue that I'm noticing is that I'm not getting a lot of power in my shots and that my sticks all feel a little stiff when it comes down to trying to flex it. I think I may have to move down to a 75-77 flex stick so that if I cut it down, then it doesn't get too stiff.

On my X40, I notice that the tape on my blade wears on the heel, while on my Warrior AK, I don't notice any wear at all. I think a lie5 is perfect for me, but am unsure. When rushing down the wing or chasing down a puck, I'm not much of a stick handler... I push the puck with one hand and catch up to it until I'm ready to make a move or shoot.

For reference, here's a picture of me with the puck. What you don't see is my left elbow... it sticks out like a chicken wing. I've heard that proper stick handling technique suggests that your elbow be tight to your body or even infront of it when stick handling.

small.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

That stick does look kind of long.

What I would do (and did I suppose) was cut the stick to the "recommended" length of the nose in bare feet or chin in skates. Your tape wear at that length and with the 5 lie indicates it's a good starting point for you. I'd find a stick that you can flex somewhat easily at that length (probably a 70-75 flex). And it looks like you use a mild curve, which is good for learning.

The idea is that you want to feel the stick loading up and learn how to load the stick up for a shot and get the timing right to release that stored energy when you release the puck. The sticks you're using right now are kind of stiff for your height, which is probably why they work when they're left kind of long.

I'd recommend finding a copy of the Brett Hull shooting DVD. It's very good for covering the basic shooting mechanisms from a variety of angles. And at $25, it's a lot cheaper than a new stick.

You mention your top elbow is way up high. I used to do that when I used a stick up to my nose in skates (now it's at or below the chin). You want to keep your hands in front of you so you can pull your top hand back while shooting and get more whip on the shot. In the video, they say you should be able to fit a basketball between your body and stick...I try and remember that from time to time.

Now none of what I said is gospel, but they're general guidelines for beginners, and it's good to go with the general guidelines when you're learning something, then adjust as needed.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'8 and 175 and use 70-75 flex sticks cut to my chin in skates, although the length might be up or down an inch.

I recently switched from goalie to a forward and it took me a little while to figure out what stick length I liked. I'm 5'8" and about 185 - 190 lbs. I use 100 flex Eastons cut down right below my bottom lip (on skates). It works perfect. I guess technically I should be using a lighter flex but I can't stand them when receiving passes. I can shoot some pretty hard snappers but since I can't load up too much my wrister isn't very hard. I say search Craigslist to find some different sticks with different flex's and curves. It truly is about preference and experimentation. That's the best advice I can give.

For reference, here's a picture of me with the puck. What you don't see is my left elbow... it sticks out like a chicken wing. I've heard that proper stick handling technique suggests that your elbow be tight to your body or even infront of it when stick handling.

I've never been a believer in having the stick that short. Then again, I am a passer/shooter, not the kind of guy that tries to deke everyone on the ice. That said, a shorter stick makes it much easier to handle the puck.

As for finding the "right" mix for you; what have you found that you liked so far? Start with one thing that you liked and the rest will start to work itself out. I would suggest picking the length you like first, that will determine the lie. The lie will limit your curve selection. It sounds like you have already decided where you want to go with flex, so that would wrap up the process.

I've never been a believer in having the stick that short. Then again, I am a passer/shooter, not the kind of guy that tries to deke everyone on the ice. That said, a shorter stick makes it much easier to handle the puck.

As for finding the "right" mix for you; what have you found that you liked so far? Start with one thing that you liked and the rest will start to work itself out. I would suggest picking the length you like first, that will determine the lie. The lie will limit your curve selection. It sounds like you have already decided where you want to go with flex, so that would wrap up the process.

I'm more of a shooter/passer as well. there are really two things that I don't like about having such a long stick. Particularly, I don't think I'm getting power in my shots. It's also very likely that I just have poor technique too. Another thing I don't like is the mobility of a long stick... it sometimes feels long and awkward when near the boards. While I understand that all I need to do is to keep practicing, I am trying to get something that's just good for learning. Want to have the right tools in the tool box so to speak.

After playing a game with a short stick (to my chin on skates), I found mobility to increase, and the few shots I took on the net seemed to be alright. I guess I should play another game with a short stick to really see..

After playing a game with a short stick (to my chin on skates), I found mobility to increase, and the few shots I took on the net seemed to be alright. I guess I should play another game with a short stick to really see..

I would call that "average" length, mine is roughly that length or a hair longer. When you start getting down around your collarbone, that's short stick territory.

I would call that "average" length, mine is roughly that length or a hair longer. When you start getting down around your collarbone, that's short stick territory.

Oh! Thanks for the clarification B)

I spent about an hour at a what was the largest hockey store in my city looking through various sticks and what not. I did manage to find something I really liked... an Easton Synergy SE16 in 75 Flex.

I like how Easton advertises 75 flex on a stick, but it's 75 flex after you cut it a couple inches, and if you cut it more, it inches towards 80 flex. something I really like. When looking through Bauer sticks, I noticed that even with a 77flex, if you cut it down two inches, it jumps to 84 flex, and another two inches puts it at 102.

It goes to show that sticks are actually made differently?

I couldn't find anything else other than the $250 Synergy... which is way out of my budget. So my question... is there a stick that people can recommend to me in the $100 range, that is in the 75-80 flex range after it's been cut down to 58 inches?

Thanks!

Sure East SE6 It's the price-point version of the SE16.

Just to add to your dilemma, I am 6' and weigh in at a hefty 240. I use Intermediate sticks (the SE6 actually) in 67 flex. Its in the short territory that Chadd talks about but I love shooting with it.

Yes, it will increase the stiffness. Intermediate sticks start out at a much lighter flex so if you cut it down it will be closer to a 75-77 ish flex.

Don't worry about the numbers, just grab the stick at the point where you would cut it off and see how it feels when you flex it JUST A BIT. The stick doesn't magically get stiffer when you chop it down, it's just leverage.

Sure East SE6 It's the price-point version of the SE16.

Just to add to your dilemma, I am 6' and weigh in at a hefty 240. I use Intermediate sticks (the SE6 actually) in 67 flex. Its in the short territory that Chadd talks about but I love shooting with it.

I'm much smaller than you but how does an intermediate feel? I've always feel like I'm going to break them. How do they hold up?

May i also add some awkwardness to your decision, as i was in the same boat as you and sort of still am.

I have 5 sticks but i'll focus on the 2 im currently using.

I am 5'10", 145 pounds.

Stick 1 - Warrior Mac Daddy, Senior, 75 Flex cut down 1.5 inches. This stick comes to my top lip on skates.

Stick 2 - Warrior Hitman, Intermediate, 70 Flex, not cut down. This stick comes to my chin on skates.

Now i bought a butt end for my 2nd stick, but didnt have time to fit it before training to add the extra inch and a half so i just rolled with it and it actually felt kinda nice, so now im in a complete dilemma as to what i should do. It did feel weird and very short but after reading some comments on here about short sticks, i no longer consider it as short.

Both sticks are lie 5, im not actually sure how to tell what lie i should be, i also have a mac daddy in lie 4. How can i tell what lie would be better?

I love the feel of my new int stick, i can flex the stick properly, unlike my cut down Senior stick, im just too weak to flex it properly which is pretty embarrassing. The only thing i worry about is snapping the int stick while slapping the puck as you can really feel the flex as you hit the puck.

I found the int stick much better for my wristers and much better accuracy with it.

I have 2 reasons for getting an int stick. The first was that i couldn't load the flex on my senior as already stated. The 2nd is my hands are pretty small and i felt uncomfortable with the senior stick. The dimensions arent drastically different but i felt much better with the int.

The general rule of thumb is to look at the bottom of the stick after a game and note the tape wear. If there's a ton of wear only at the heel, it might be too high (or the stick might be too long). If there's a ton of wear only at the toe, it might be too low (or the stick might be too short). But that's a guideline, and some players might have more wear depending on how they shoot or carry the puck.

The odd thing with intermediates is to me they often feel stiffer than the senior sticks. That was true of the SE16's I felt in the store two days ago, and the S11's. And that's holding the stick at the same height. That's one reason I tend to find whippy senior sticks rather than intermediates, which can be a crapshoot flex-wise.

I'm much smaller than you but how does an intermediate feel? I've always feel like I'm going to break them. How do they hold up?

Wristers feel amazing... I do feel like I might snap it on a slap shot, but I don't take a whole-lot of those.

Edit: I will say, there for a while though, I was sailing everything over the net with such a low flex. That took some adjustments.

Was browsing through some of the catalogues posted in the other thread, there are quite a few senior sticks with flexes in the 70. that might be a better solution than getting an int stick?

From someone who has just done this, i find a massive difference between my int 70 flex and my senior 75.

And which one do you like better?

I'm 5'8'' 149lbs. Trying to make the same decision. A lot of the Senior sticks seem a little long and If I was to cut them they would be even stiffer. Do you think the int would be a better choice?

Only used the int once so far but i really did enjoy using it, found my wrister had more power and had better accuracy.

As i said earlier in the thread, feels slightly like your gonna break it with a slapper, think i'd be a bit hesitant at taking a one timer with it but if they aren't part of your game then definitely a good idea.

I had this same issue being 5'8" and around 175. I've gone through this and in the process bought and sold a lot of sticks. What I should have done was buy a shaft at the right flex and experimented with the blades. I'm not sure if they are still having this sale, but Harrow was selling tappered blades for $20 a piece and there shafts for I think $50 with the code Elite Team. I've read that the flex is a little lower then advertised, so you should be good with a 75 flex after you cut it down. If you have smaller hands I would go with the contoured shaft shape.

Besides that, you can get an intermidiate (mid flex) CCM in the 75 flex ratting that starts at 57 inches (3 less then a senior). They are selling the U+ for around 130 on-line. I heard they had some durability issues. Also the REEBOK 75 flex 2009/10 sticks start at 58 inches. I think the 8K is around 150.

One last suggestion is a TPS whip flex, which starts at 70 and if you can find it, go with a "pro-radius" shaft if you have small hands. Best stick I have owned (R8).

I spent about an hour at a what was the largest hockey store in my city looking through various sticks and what not. I did manage to find something I really liked... an Easton Synergy SE16 in 75 Flex.

I like how Easton advertises 75 flex on a stick, but it's 75 flex after you cut it a couple inches, and if you cut it more, it inches towards 80 flex. something I really like. When looking through Bauer sticks, I noticed that even with a 77flex, if you cut it down two inches, it jumps to 84 flex, and another two inches puts it at 102.

It goes to show that sticks are actually made differently?

I couldn't find anything else other than the $250 Synergy... which is way out of my budget. So my question... is there a stick that people can recommend to me in the $100 range, that is in the 75-80 flex range after it's been cut down to 58 inches?

Thanks!

I don't know this didn't dawn on me earlier.. but how about two piece sticks? I've heard that if you take an shaft and add a blade to it, that it gets stiffer... that is an 85flex shaft with a blade in it is really much higher in stiffness than 85... is there any truth to that?

I don't know this didn't dawn on me earlier.. but how about two piece sticks? I've heard that if you take an shaft and add a blade to it, that it gets stiffer... that is an 85flex shaft with a blade in it is really much higher in stiffness than 85... is there any truth to that?

No, though if it is a standard shaft it may feel that way to some people.

You guys have me wondering if I should be using intermediate sticks now. I am 5'9" and usually cut off about 2 1/2 " off senior sticks.

You guys have me wondering if I should be using intermediate sticks now. I am 5'9" and usually cut off about 2 1/2 " off senior sticks.

yeah, thats about how much i cut off of a senior stick too...hence why i'm asking..