Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovyperron5727

NHL players you've met

Met, and played with a few NHLers over the years: Played 2 seasons of winter hockey with Mark Renaud (Hartford Whalers early 1980s - also father of the late Mickey Renaud). Played summer pick up with Aaron Ward while a member of the Red Wings (1st yr there). Ward was very shy, but huge strong guy! Mark Renaud is one of the nicest guys I've met.

Met off ice situations: Cam Janssen - many times, great guy, funny, big time joker, would give the shirt off his back for ya. His Mom and Dad are awesome people too - had many a drink with his father. My Dad grew up with Jim Dorey in Kingston - and I have met him a few times - cool guy - selling insurance now I believe. Also met and spent a good hour or 2 talking to Josh Bailey (while still in junior) - great kid too.

For any NJ Devils fans: Adam Henrique is a great guy too. Very approachable, down to earth, pleasant to talk to. One of, if not the best all round player to ever play in Windsor (We are talking Adam Graves, Jovanovski, Spezza, Wellwood, Steve Ott to name a few). I really wish him the best, and was a treat to watch mature as a player and young man. Devils fans - this kid is your #1 all round prospect - born to be a Devil - wish he was a Leaf!

That's just off the top of my head - I know there is more, but it's late!

Hmmm well I meet a lot of player at the Dallas Stars Ice Breaker each year, but the ones that stand out were Mo, who really didn't seem happy to be there.

-Toby Peterson when he was a rookie, he was pretty fun to meet he was hugging everyone and willing to take pics.

-Marty Turco at Players Bench for a signing before he signed with Chicago. He is by far the nicest out of everyone, we talked for a good 5 minutes or so about where we grew up in Michigan and the Red Wings. Even had a sense of humor when I offered him $20 to go play in Detroit.

Met Ray Bourque a few years back when one of his kids was playing for Cushing Academy and he was the assistant coach and my bro was playing in a tournament against them, he kind of seemed like a jackass and that he was uninterested in what he was doing, but i guess i would be too if over 1000 people that day asked for an autograph or tried talking to him.

Dan Lacoture even though he's not a full time nhl player anymore, in the summer and when he doesnt have a team he comes down to Cape Cod and is friends with the guys in charge of our rink, so hes got his own stall and ice whenever he wants it, but skated with him twice once in a high school practice and another just some drills and 3 on 3 with some buddies. He was really quiet, kind of seemed annoyed that we there was 2 other people when it was only supposed to be me him another kid and a goalie, but he seemed like a good guy, complimented us on nice goals and passes, atleast he took the time out of his day to come play with a bunch of 15 year olds.

Met André Savard, then Montreal Canadiens' GM at a wedding. He's the uncle of friends of ours who were getting married at the time. That was the summer where Montreal was after Brett Hull. Couldn't get him to talk about it though! Good guy nonetheless and a big guy at that too!

Met Ray Bourque a few years back when one of his kids was playing for Cushing Academy and he was the assistant coach and my bro was playing in a tournament against them, he kind of seemed like a jackass and that he was uninterested in what he was doing, but i guess i would be too if over 1000 people that day asked for an autograph or tried talking to him.

I sat next to Ray and chatted with him for about 40 minutes while we were watching a Pats-Colts game in the hotel lobby. I think he just has a reserved personality. He's become a big Boston sports fan, so we were able to talk about the different teams, but I have a feeling he would get quieter if the conversation turned to other topics. He was a polite guy, though.

John Leclair came into my store yesterday. I was in the middle of something, but I wanted to go over and tell him that I blamed him for my broken ankle. after all, if it weren't for him, I probably never would have played the game!

John Leclair came into my store yesterday. I was in the middle of something, but I wanted to go over and tell him that I blamed him for my broken ankle. after all, if it weren't for him, I probably never would have played the game!

Haha, that's great. I loved LeClair back when he played for the Flyers. Did you get a chance to say anything to him?

Haha, that's great. I loved LeClair back when he played for the Flyers. Did you get a chance to say anything to him?

Nah he was in and out pretty quick. Dude's still jacked though.

Met Jamie Rivers last week. He was in my work and was looking for help finding something, so I asked him some questions and began looking it up on the computer. He handed me his membership card and his name verified what I'd been thinking. Asked him if he still played and he said, "Yeah! I'm an unrestricted free agent at the moment, so just waiting to see how things play out with a couple teams." When I said that I didn't know he was still in the St. Louis area, he explained that he lived very locally because he married a woman from there and that's where their house is now. I joked with him about some stuff and his wife walked over actually wearing an old St. Louis Blues t-shirt with "Hull 16" on the back. I laughed about it and she said, "Yeah, he HATES it when I wear this!"

Were you able to tell if he was sober?

I met Saku Koivu tonight...after 15 years of watching him play, I finally got the chance to meet him. Ducks held a season ticket holder event at Honda Centre tonight, and he was one of the most personable players out there. Got him to sign a Ducks shirt and a skate holder which he seemed flabbergasted at. Totally relaxed, humble guy. Koivu is my inspiration to keep playing and fight through the tough shit, so I'm dead pleased to have finally met him. Also-

Jason Blake: signed my skates, asked what size they were, "Oh, really? you could totally fit Sexy's kids' skates too. Tell him you stole them from his kids..." fucking wicked sense of humour.

Visnovsky: signed a card and skate holder and offered to sign my Koivu Montreal jersey.

Chipchura: Told him I really missed him playing for Montreal and he seemed appreciative of this.

Lydman: Had no idea where to sign my holder, so he signed the boot instead.

Mcelhinney: Really cool, joking with fan after fan after fan the whole night.

Lupul: Seemed like he was drunk, but still cool.

Haha on Lupul. he probably was.

and I'm glad to hear Koivu was so kind. He's one guy I've always admired. I've never heard him complain about anything, he just kept his head level and played through everything that came at him.

I hope to have some stories later this week...I got an invite (through work) to play in the Bulldogs Golf Tourney Wednesday. There will be Habs alumni there (not sure who).

Obviously Anchorage isnt a big place and you see a lot of these guys around in general, but only a few have I hung out with for more than a few minutes:

Scott Gomez- Friend of a friend real nice guy, great family. He's the kind of guy that if you didnt know hockey and who he was, you wouldnt know who he is. At least here in Anchorage. He is just a low-key cat.

Brandon Dubinsky- Good guy. Ive been on the same mens league team with his older brother for the last 4 or 5 years, and his dad coached me back in the day. He came out for my 30th bday earlier this year with his brother and dad and we all had a good time, nice folks.

Nate Thompson- Another cool cat, a real down to earth and humble dude.

I met and worked with Al Iafrate at my Base fitting. Very cool, we talked a bit outside of hockey and he helped me with my skills a lot. Great sense of humor. If anyone ever does go for a base fitting ask what a "Thunderkiss" is. And last weekend, I met Joe Sakic. Awesome guy, he was totally polite and really easygoing. He spoke to tons of regular parents and got into long conversations with them. I still can't believe looking across the rinks and seeing him coaching right across. Great guy, I have a lot of respect for him.

Tom Glavin (Yes the HOF-to-be MLB pitcher)BUT... most people dont know he was a 1st round pick in the 1984 NHL entry draft. Drafted ahead of Luc Robatille and Brett Hull..now you know..!

anyhow i was like 5 years old with my dad at ToysRus one night in Minneapolis, trying to find a place where Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles action figures werent sold out yet. Tom was there with his wife buying stuff for their kid.the place was totally empty and my dad recognized him right away and grabbed my hand and walked me over to meet him.

My dad asked him if he would sign an autograph for me. He refused and said "sorry i dont sign autographs" .

Mrs. Glavin saw both a young father and a 5 year old boy's heart break right in front of them. She begged Tom to "just give them an autograph, they were so polite and the little boy is so cute"

That only pissed Tom off more. Total Dick! He would probably give anything to be recognized in public again.

Tom Glavin (Yes the HOF-to-be MLB pitcher)BUT... most people dont know he was a 1st round pick in the 1984 NHL entry draft. Drafted ahead of Luc Robatille and Brett Hull..now you know..!

anyhow i was like 5 years old with my dad at ToysRus one night in Minneapolis, trying to find a place where Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles action figures werent sold out yet. Tom was there with his wife buying stuff for their kid.the place was totally empty and my dad recognized him right away and grabbed my hand and walked me over to meet him.

My dad asked him if he would sign an autograph for me. He refused and said "sorry i dont sign autographs" .

Mrs. Glavin saw both a young father and a 5 year old boy's heart break right in front of them. She begged Tom to "just give them an autograph, they were so polite and the little boy is so cute"

That only pissed Tom off more. Total Dick! He would probably give anything to be recognized in public again.

Thats why I don't ask for autographs. I can't profit off of a handshake and a cell phone picture.

Teemu Selanne - Met him at a pub after a 2002 Flames vs. Sharks game. We lost the game and I told him we would take Finland down in the Olympics:) *Note: Super short in person.

Trevor Kid - I was probably about 10 and ran into him at a local convenience station. I ran home to get a paper/pen. He happily signed it; one of my fondest memories.

Joe Nieuwendyk - Got a broken stick from him in warm ups.

Mike Vernon - Same as Joe; beauty old Koho goalie stick.

Sean Avery - Buddy that I play with roomed with him in Juniors. Seems like a douche:)

Jordan Tootoo - Awesome guy.

Rick Nattress - Met him at a restaurant after a game when I was a kid. Epic beard.

Marc Habscheid - Pretentious prick in person (coached his son)

Joel Otto - Coached against him; good guy.

Lanny MacDonald - Played against his son; good dude; best moustach in the game...ever.

Kyle Wanvig - Went to school with him; played against him.

Danny Heatley - Played against him. Was actually in a tourney with him in Phoenix (Bantam) when he lost his front tooth.

Awesome thread...great life memories.

I haven't met as many as some of you guys have, but the ones I did meet were:

Pavel Datsyuk - He actually came up to my work and I gave him the creepiest look ever when I realized it was him. I saw him a couple hours later after I was off the clock and talked to him for a minute. He's a real nice and gracious guy. However, it was a little difficult to understand him, haha.

Larry Murphy - I've met him many times. I know his daughters through work so I get to see him quite regularly. He's a real nice guy.

Gordie Howe - I met him probably like 12 years ago. He was at my dads work and my dad told me who he was (I wasn't to big into hockey as a kid) and he asked what position I played and when I told him I didn't play (again, back in the day), he jokingly told his little dog to sick me. He was really nice and had a pretty good sense of humor. I'd really like to meet him again some time soon.

I wish I've met more NHLers but hopefully I'll get my chance to along the way. I have had the opportunity to meet some other big names from the Metro Detroit area, so it's not all bad.

The guys I love meeting are the old school guys. For example I've met Howe, Beliveau, Lafleur , Lach at least 3 times each. I love listening to their stories and jokes and wish I could just hang out and listen to them 24/7 about how times used to be. There is a lot of "back in my day..." and "the nhl should do this and that to improve the game. Privelage and an honour to meet these guys

I've met a ton of players from the Red Wings and they were all great guys. Should speak to what a class act organization the Illitch's run.

I met Darren McCarty at a golf tournament about five years ago and talked to him for about ten minutes or so. Awesome guy.

Its funny because on the ice, these guys are a lot different. A buddy of mine went through the Red Wings organization and played with Avery and McCarty in training camp. Said both were big time d-bags on the ice, but great guys off the ice.

I also know Pat Kane. Huge prick. Growing up he thought he was the s*** and is still the same way. I blame his dad.

Got a chance to meet Henrik Lundqvist, he was a real nice guy.

Gordie Howe is an absolute gem.

Same can not be said for Ted Lindsay lol