Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovyperron5727

NHL players you've met

I thought this would be a fun thread, so who have you met, who was cool and who is a jerk

Chris Chelios-held a free autograph when I lived in Chicago. Awesome guy, signed a puck and personalized a pic for me. Took a pic with him too

Bobby Hull-unbelivable guy, one of the nicest people ive ever met.

Brett Hull-also happy to sign

Cam Janssen-hilarious, very friendly and seems to be that guy who is friends with everyone. Im glad that being from St.Louis he plays for the Blues

Kevin Weekes-class act, also a hell of a guy

Rob Ellis-also pretty nice

Mike Modano-douchebag, met hom over 5 times and i hate him more and more every time

Adam Burish-great guy

Chirs Mason-very friendly, one of the games good guys

Jussi Jokinen-nice guy

Alex Ovechkin- went out of his way to sign a picture for me as he was walking to the lockeroom after a game. I will never forget it

Pavel Bure-I wrote him a letter when i was 10 and he signed a pic for me

I also met David Perron once too, signed a shirt for me. One of my most prized possessions

I was about 17 years old working in a sneaker store in a mall in New Jersey when Jaromir Jagr walked in. Being the huge hockey fan that I am I walked up to him and asked if he needed any help. He just totally ignored me like I wasn't even there. When I asked him if he was Jagr he looked at me smiled and said (in a Czech accent) "No never heard of him" and walked out. Now I know the Pens were in town to play the Devils that night and let's be honest who else looked like Jagr in the early 90's. With that long curly hair and goofy face not to mention being like 6'8" anyone who even remotely followed hockey would recognize him. Ever since then I've been a Jagr hater. When he came to the Rangers later in his career it abosolutely killed me. I was so happy when he bolted to play in Russia and even happier seeing Ovi level him in the olympics.

On the other hand I met Paul Coffey once in the same mall and he was the nicest guy I ever met. Even offered to sign stuff without me even asking.

Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy (asshole), Milan Hejduk, Ray Bourque, Sandis Ozolinsh, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Joedan Staal, Dominek Hasek, Michael Peca, Rob Ray, and I cant realy think of any more

Jeff Hackett was by far the nicest guy I've ever met.

Craig Rivet was also really cool, especially in the dressing room.

Simon Gamache is a douche, as is Danny Briere.

Joe Thornton and Rick Nash were like dumb and dumber when I met them together at Spengler during the lockout, they were hilarious.

Matt Stajan signed a leafs jersey for me and a pic too, great impression of him fav Leaf as well, Good Luck in Calgary :D

2 days ago, I met some players from the Mississauga St.Mike's Majors of the OHL. Met coach Dave Cameron too, funny guy. I recognized him as i was touring the dressing room and said: "Hey coach, nice to meet you" He was like, "Do I know you" in a fun way and shook my hand...great guy

Last summer I was in Calgary during the Stampede and me and my friends were on the munchies and decided to go to a Needs Market. While I was at the cash I turned around and I see a huge tall red headed guy dressed in a cowboy uniform who was swearing on his cellphone. It was Mike Commodore. Pretty funny seeing him dressed in something else than a house coat. He was pretty funny.

I forgot to say I also met The Rocket a couple years before he passed away. So quiet, it's probably the most detailed autograph you can ever get. He takes like 25 seconds per signature.

Met 4 Minnesota North Stars players sitting in front of my family at a Cardinals game when I was a tyke. They all seemed nice enough and signed our ticket stubs. Unfortunately, Mike Modano is the only one of the bunch who's name I can remember. I've met Kelly Chase and Tony Twist numerous times throughout the years. Nicest 2 guys you'll ever meet. Met Brett Hull once, he seemed a bit preoccupied at the time and was not the friendliest. Recently met David Perron and Chris Mason, both wonderfully friendly guys.

Sat next to the Flyers bench tonight. Talked to Scott Hartnell a bit, he seems pretty funny.

I told him to stop whacking his stick (with the "grip stick" on the bench) so he looked at me, smiled and stuck it to the glass and turned away quickly. Just a funny reaction, Carcillo seemed to think it was pretty funny too.

imageshh.jpg

Puck came flying his way later in the period after it missed him, I leaned over to him and said "Heads up bro." He stands up and gave me the nod if I wanted the puck, I shook my head and pointed to the 18 year old Flyers puck bunnies sitting behind me and he flipped them the puck much to their squealing delight.

He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

After a bit of a scrum, Carcillo sat down at the end of the bench. After he was done cursing Ohlund out, I told him "Ohlund isn't going to fight, try to fight Konopka" he said "NO." ...Later he fought and "lost" to Downie... I told him to fight Konopka! haha.

The players I have met:

Martin Brodeur - signed a puck for me, got a couple words in nothing big tho.

Scott Gomez- signed same puck, the day after he chipped his tooth, joked around with him about it.

Patrik Elias- signed same puck, was busy looking at watches. got a couple words in.

Zach Parise- Awesome kid, very nice

Travis Zajac- Great Character, nobody when to him for the meet and greet, since Marty was the hype after breaking the record so I chilled whit him for a good 15 minutes.

Paul Martin- Very Shy

Bobby Holik- Very funny

Kevin Weeks- Very Classy

Johnny Oduya- Shy as well

Brian Gionta- Very Short, hahaha but very talkative and, informative.

and Krystof Oliwa- Met him in Poland at the airport, he was taking the same flight back home as me, well dressed man but very rude, I started talking to him he pulls out his phone and has a convo. thought he was calling airport security so I left

Those where the ones that stood out the most, I met the whole team all great group of guys. I wish I had their lives

I love this idea that if you see an NHL player shopping or walking through the airport that you deserve their undivided attention, and that they should probably be greatful for the oppurtunity to talk with a fan.

How would you react if someone saw you in a public place on your day off and tried to talk to you about work? No matter how much you love what you do, you don't want to be immersed in it 24/7. I'm not defending anyone being excessively rude, but these guys don't give up their rights to privacy just because they're on tv.

I'm with you there. All the times I've talked to players is at the rink and at the forum, mainly BSing like they're one of the guys. In a more public setting it's a nod of acknowledgement at most.

I hate when people stop me to talk while I'm doing something so I'm not going to do it to them.

Andreychuk and Dingman are two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Andy is funny as hell on the ice, dude never stops talking. "Ohh missed that one! Nice shot! Whoa, what a save! Etc"

Jere Lehtinen is one of the nicest people I have ever met let alone nicest pros. He used to bring his kid to a local rink to on Thursday nights when I was a Bantam. The first time he was there I saw him but he was with his family so I didn't go over to him and talk to him, but I couldn't stop staring. So he noticed I was staring and called me over and talked to me for about 10 minutes just about hockey and then he signed my jersey, my stick, and a puck without me even asking him. It was one of the coolest experiences ever, I saw him there for a few weeks in a row and talked to him several times. He was just an overall awesome guy

Guy Carbonneau: was also just awesome I saw him at the AAC once and I think he was surprised that I recognized who he was ( I was probably about 9 and he had been retired as a player for a while) and he gave me a puck that had a bunch of players autographs, from the stars off of an auction table!

in 97 a friend calls me to play over in ann arbor so i go not noing anyone. i get there and start dressing and look around the room and there is marty turco getting his gear on, kevin hodson, arron ward, bob rouse, mike knuble, and several other michigan players at the time. i'm thinking to myself what did i get myself into. turns out they were just having fun out there and i was blast. they were great to skate with i seemed that turco would let shoots in when anyone that wasn't a pro or college player. after the skate they ended up bring in the beer. they were awsome to talk to marty even game me his gloves.

retired players

doug brown awsome guy knows his gear.

jason wooly funny as hell but shorter than i thought

darren mcarty great guy to talk to wanted to know my name before he even spoke to me

brian smolinski a little wacky but a good guy

bobby smith was my next door neighbor when i lived in mn, would get tickets for my dad and i all the time.

the 80 olympic team what a bunch of classy guys, esp jack o'callahan and neal broten

met carey price at work his first week in the NHL (the day after he got his first win against the Pens), really quiet, somewhat shy

tomas plekanec wore a turtleneck when he came in one day (he's kind of known for doing that in games also, so that's what I noticed first), not talkative.

tom kostopoulos is a good guy, used to be my friend's neighbour

travis moen, good guy as well - again a friend's neighbour. met him at the pool, absolutely huge dude, had the same sized arms as my bodybuilder friend with 2x as much back and chest. on the picture he makes me look like a total beanpole.

Oliwa - met him in a pet store of all places. I was younger, talked about how we both owned greyhounds. Came across as unbelievably nice to me.

Bobby hull - one of the best experiences. Was like talking to your grandfather.

Adam Oates - super nice guy.

John madden - nice, funny guy.

Brian rolston - nice, laid back and friendly guy.

Marc pouliot - nice guy. Good for a laugh.

Mark recchi - really nice guy, easy to talk to.

Jeremy roenick - say what you will, he is hilarious. Met him on the day of his famous "kiss my ass" comment.

Brad park - nice guy, very quiet and to himself, but not in a bad way.

Dennis bonvie - by far my personal favorite. Funny, accomodating, and always has time for the fans, especially the young kids. I've seen him get heckled mercilessly and then come right out after the final horn and take pics, talk and sign stuff for everyone for the better part of 15 mins. The epitome of the tough guy with a big heart stereotype.

Billy Guerin was the best for me, met him several times and was super nice to me and my family everytime. The guy seemed like a really genuine, good dude unlike Mike Modano (the least friendly player i ever met). Shame Billy left Dallas.

Billy Guerin was the best for me, met him several times and was super nice to me and my family everytime. The guy seemed like a really genuine, good dude unlike Mike Modano (the least friendly player i ever met). Shame Billy left Dallas.

Francois Leroux - Great guy. My company does business with him and he is just unbelievably nice. Just one of those guys you wouldn't mind hanging around with.

A buddy of mine was running a restaurant and had Max Talbot, Jordan Staal, and Tyler Kennedy come in one night. He had them back in the VIP area trying to keep people away from them and I was there just hanging out waiting for him to get off, so I went back and kinda helped keep the people away so these guys could eat in peace and relax. All three of them are awesome. Staal is very reserved and quiet. Kennedy is really funny, seems like he'd be a riot to hang out with, Talbot is pretty much as expected, very outgoing, very funny, a really good time.

I just sort of hung out and watched the door and they took time to engage me in conversation, asked me to sit by them while they were bullshitting because they felt bad I was not working there and I was just trying to help out, just 3 really really cool guys. I was very impressed.