Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovyperron5727

NHL players you've met

Had the opportunity to ref Chris Drury's son (NYC Cyclones - Squirt) during a Presidents' Day tourny outside of Philly. Mr. Drury is was an assistant coach (more like just helper to open the bench door) and was a nice guy. Only chimed in every once in a while to give a pointer here and there but he was just an observer for the most part. Thought that was pretty cool. Chris' Dad was running the penalty box for the team and was a really nice guy also (apple doesn't fall far from the tree applies here). Extremely humble and act like a normal hockey Dad. Only if more people who are successful acted in this manner.

Not a player, but one of the last Caps games I went to I ended up sitting next to Matt Hendricks' family in town from Minnesota. Very nice people. Bought his uncle a beer.

I've met a total of two players that have played in the NHL. Yann Sauve and Simon Despres. Both defensemen have played just a few games and I met them when they played junior in my hometown. Both pretty laid back guys who liked to have a good laugh. I've also met a few possible future NHLers in Jonathan Huberdeau and Zach Phillips. I hope they both make it someday soon because they have the most intense and focused work ethic I've ever seen.

Coached against Mike Peca yesterday, nice guy. His father in law is my dentist and he is a great guy, so I am not surprised. Heard Mike is a real pita on the ice though.

Hockey player marrying a dentist's daughter. Seems like a business arrangement.

I found out I work with former Devil and Soviet star Sergei Starikov. Really nice guy. Gives lessons to some great players. Has all kinds of cool stories.

When I was younger and playing for a travel team we went to Phoenix one year. While we were there the Coyotes were playing the Devils. My coach at the time was good friends with Scott Gomez so we got to go watch the game and after the game we got to stand by the locker room and get autographs. My team warm up jacket from that year had all sorts of great autographs. I had Elias, Stevens, Gomez, Brodeur, Pandolfo, pretty much the whole team when they were winning cups. Unfortunately the jacket got lost though a couple of family moves and now I have none of it.

Also on that trip we went to watch a Coyotes practice and met a couple of players, most memorably Tony Amonte which was awesome. But the best story from that trip and the day watching them practice was when I met Shane Doan.

A friend of mine on the team and I were playing a little arcade game by the restaurant at the rink while they were Zamming the ice before practice; I can't remember what game it was, but my friend and I were not very good at the game. While we were playing, a guy dressed in a suit and tie came up to us and asked if we wanted him to show us how to play. Being little kids we said sure why not. After the guy showing us how to play he went to leave, but before going he said to us "would you kids like an autograph?" My friend and I were utterly confused but said sure anyways. The guy signed our jackets and walked away. Our coach then walked up and said to us "do you guys know who that was?" We said "no, who was that?" and our coach goes "that was Shane Doan." Shane Doan was just starting to become a super star in the league and so we didn't know who it was at the time, but looking back at it I just laugh at my young self.

My team warm up jacket from that year had all sorts of great autographs. I had Elias, Stevens, Gomez, Brodeur, Pandolfo, pretty much the whole team when they were winning cups. Unfortunately the jacket got lost though a couple of family moves and now I have none of it.

That reminds me of this: "http://www.youtube.com/embed/pFNHmlxjw3E?rel=0"

EDIT: Hey, why is the video showing when I'm composing the message, but disappears when I post it?

I'm not sure what I did wrong. I clicked the green box that is third from the left at the top; scrolled to YouTube video; went to YouTube; clicked Share, then Embed; and then copied that link into the dialogue box on MSH. It showed up on the preview, but disappeared upon posting.

You used the embed link.

The software recognizes the straight YT link, the one on top of the browser.

And you don't even have to embed it, just copy from top and paste.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. I clicked the green box that is third from the left at the top; scrolled to YouTube video; went to YouTube; clicked Share, then Embed; and then copied that link into the dialogue box on MSH. It showed up on the preview, but disappeared upon posting.

I just did what JR said. I found the video on YouTube, copied the URL from the address bar, and pasted in the message editor here.

My team warm up jacket from that year had all sorts of great autographs. I had Elias, Stevens, Gomez, Brodeur, Pandolfo, pretty much the whole team when they were winning cups. Unfortunately the jacket got lost though a couple of family moves and now I have none of it.

That reminds me of this: "http://www.youtube.com/embed/pFNHmlxjw3E?rel=0"

EDIT: Hey, why is the video showing when I'm composing the message, but disappears when I post it?

That's pretty much how I felt once I found out it got lost. It was a sad day.

You used the embed link.

The software recognizes the straight YT link, the one on top of the browser.

And you don't even have to embed it, just copy from top and paste.

Do you just paste into the body of the post or do you need to push one of the icons first?

I forgot, a couple of years ago Scott Gomez started a charity golf tournament back home in Alaska, and I got to play in it for the inaugural event. Well Scott was there, as well as some of his friends, famous people, hockey players, etc. long story short I got to play golf with Richard Matvichuck. The guy hit the ball a country mile, but that was about all he had, no short game at all! Haha.

All my stories are coffee-bound.

Met Trevor Linden at an airport once, was picking up family and had a cup of coffee.

Met Burrows outside a Tims once, was in front of me in a long line and ended up paying for my coffee.

First NHL player i met was Shawn Burr at his summer hockey camp. Several NHL players attended and then it became Steve Yzerman Shawn Burr summer hockey camp.

Some other guys i met during the camp were Fedorov, chaisson, Ysabaert, Gallant, Carson, and McCarty too, tons of early 90s Wings, I dont have total recollection of each player but I vaguely remember McCarty showing us some fighting pointers. Definitely remember Burr and Stevie though, and Shawn was my favorite player growing up, and probably most responsible for my love of hockey growth, as I had just started playing in 89. RIP Shawn Burr
In 1996 I started working at a bar/restaurant and Mickey Redmond and Dave Strader walked on in and I got to talk with them a while when they were having a few drinks, maybe even on the way to a game.

Since then ive skated against Fedorovs brother on one random occasion, and over the years met several of the Wings players. Probably the ones Id most like to meet now but havent are Darren Helm and Datsyuk, and of course Z as well.

Hall of famer, Alex Delvecchio was my first hockey coach at age 5 in Michigan. His son was on the team as well.

Don't really recall much other than it is a good story. My Dad speaks highly of him.

I played Dan Bylsma's son a year or two ago, to be honest his kid wasn't that good, we won like 8-1 or something like that, but on the bright side he wasn't spoiled with top of the line stuff, it was actually pretty bad. but anyways getting back on topic here, my whole team went and talked to him after the game cause he was in the stands watching, and he was a very cool guy, nice, and stuff, but maybe that's just because we were like pewees.

Played a few times with Luke Richardson this past season in Adult League. I had the puck at center ice, and he was playing D, so dumped it in and made a sarcastic joke about the "great play I made" with a smile. Puck goes behind the goal and pops out front for an easy goal by a teammate. Luke turns to me with a big smile and says "yes, it was a good play!".....

I played with Larry Robinson last year during the lockout, before the NHL season started.

Larry Robinson is the nicest, most down-to-earth guy you can imagine. When I came to sit down on the bench next to him, he took off his glove to shake my hand as he introduced himself.

A good friend of mine was playing goal for the other team, and I was on Larry's team. Larry and I somehow ended up on a 2 on 0 and my friend, the goalie had the puck on his goal stick. Larry was skating toward him from the right point, and I was coming in from the left, but closer to the goal. I knew exactly what my buddy was thinking...dump the puck toward Larry Robinson vs. dump the puck toward me. He dumps the puck toward me and I stick out my right leg. The puck bounced off of my shin, past the goalie, and into the net. Larry seemed even more excited about that than I was, and laughed his ass off.

I haven't played with anyone noteworthy, but I attended a post-game Free Skate with Kristian Huselius. I also met Brianne McLaughlin, as I bought a pair of RMU prostock pants from her. Finally, Coached by one of the old pens greats, Al McDonough. We were at a coaches' game for Special Hockey International and he was Team USA's coach, as well as Pittsburgh's Honorary Captain for the weekend. Great experience all around.