Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aal

Replacing Graf Cobra Blades

Can someone confirm that replacing the blades in the Cobra holders is as simple as unscrewing the screw at the back of the holder, droping the blade out, replacing the blade, and tightening up the screw? Anything else need to be done?

I think he meant lose (I is near O and K is opposite S).

I thought he was saying "lick". hahaha, "don't lick the piece on the back". it's a fair warning.

You didn't have a piece on the steel when you pulled it out? like the male part of a a screw?

I think he meant lose (I is near O and K is opposite S).

That was a fail on my part. sorry

How do you know when you over-tighten? I've taken mine off and they just seem to keep on tightening up with little force. They also seem to loosen up with each skate and upon re-tightening them, they always seem to go just a bit tighter.

I was thinking of adding some locktite to the screw to keep it from coming loose. But again, curious as to what the proper tightening should be.

if the ball part of the nut turns so it's not flush with the blade, then you've over tightened it.

if you tighten it and hit the skate against the floor it should sound solid. if there's a clicking, then it's should be able to be tightened a bit more

if the ball part of the nut turns so it's not flush with the blade, then you've over tightened it.

You cant see that through the holder though.

if you tighten it and hit the skate against the floor it should sound solid. if there's a clicking, then it's should be able to be tightened a bit more

See, mine seem solid when hitting the ground, but when stopping they make a strange groaning sound and feel like they're vibrating/loose in the holder. I always find the screw has backed off a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn with each skate and when I re-tighten them, they always go farther than they were before. So if it loosens a 1/4 turn, it re-tightens a half turn tighter than before to where the feel is the same.

Anyone ever put locktite on the mounting bolts?

See, mine seem solid when hitting the ground, but when stopping they make a strange groaning sound and feel like they're vibrating/loose in the holder. I always find the screw has backed off a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn with each skate and when I re-tighten them, they always go farther than they were before. So if it loosens a 1/4 turn, it re-tightens a half turn tighter than before to where the feel is the same.

NO! Unless you are VERY cautious and use a tiny bit of the #222 (purple low-strength) Loctite. But... I've never had loosening issues. I snug them up and then put on the rubber skate guards and stand in them to fully seat the steel and then recheck the nuts. It's so easy....

0_21_caveman_0.jpg

No Loctite, but mine did take a while to 'settle in'. I had to re-tighten them every skate or two for the first month or so, but after that they hardly ever loosen up. I assume it was some compression of the new plastic holder that once settled, stopped moving further.

No Loctite, but mine did take a while to 'settle in'. I had to re-tighten them every skate or two for the first month or so, but after that they hardly ever loosen up. I assume it was some compression of the new plastic holder that once settled, stopped moving further.

Well, that is likely all it is then. They are less than a month old and just thought it strange I was having to re-tighten them each skate and they wanted to get just a bit tighter with each one.

We'll see how things go.

Thanks for the input and yeah, when talking locktite it would be their least strong one, just a little something to keep it from backing up.

for tightening the screw. Tighten until its snug then 1/4 to 1/2 turn.. it shouldn't be hard. If your using a lot of pressure, it's probably too much. you'll be able to tell though when you walk to the ice from the dressing room. The steel will either be set and tight or you'll hear a clicking noise or feel it shifting slightly