Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackIce

GTA - Rec League Analysis

Hello, I just got back into hockey for the past 1.5 years after a 12 year hiatus. I played in two rec/beer leagues. True North(Powerade Centre) and Mississauga Adult Hockey League(Iceland). I know that right now some people might be thinking about registering for the summer. So here is my analysis from a guy who only played a little house league as a kid and joined his first rec/beer league a year ago at the age of 39. Analysis on the other leagues would really help people out.

True North

Very well organized league. I played summer 2009 and winter 09/10. They do a great job of balancing divisions after 5 games. Very laid back league which is fairly safe - but competitive. I really enjoyed my experience with the league. The website is great and the online stats are a plus.

Mississauga Adult Hockey League

I played there winter 09/10. Not very organized. Only 3 divisions (B/C/D). It is competitive and many guys take it way too seriously. You don't really know what division you are in as the divisions are not clearly set. No dedicated website. Refs are very, very, very bad, they don't call much. I found it chippy. A lot of contact - should be "no check" and not "no contact".

I have been playing at True North at both Toronto (Rinx) and the Brampton (Poweradde Center) for 6 years now and can only agree with your assessment.

Good post.

I have played in True North for many years now, and have not once heard of someone that prefers the ASHL over it. Yes, it is only from personal experience but everyone that has come over from there has told me that it was much more rough than TN. I have not played ASHL. Also, Chesswood had some decent hockey in terms of players but not very well organized and very rough compaired to TN.

Never played the Mississauga Hockey League, but it does seem a bit small as well.

My thoughts & criticisms of TN are this. The Good: They try and have up-to-date stats, other than Rinx you get to play in nice facilities. They attempt to balance the divisions 5 games in. Low turn over of Refs generally. Strict rules on fighting, punching, etc...

Some of the minor bad things: Sometimes they realign to far into a season. I have been on multiple teams over the years where we are in 1st place then with 5-6 games to go a team swap happens and we have 0 chance of keeping that finish. Why does that matter? The first place team gets to play in a tournament with all the other 1st place teams in that tier. It is a pretty fun tournament. Sure, 5 games in... swap a team. But if swapped after most of the season, why should they get 1st place tournament for winning a division in which they did not win most of their games.

I mentioned the strict rules in terms of violence but it is very inconsistant. Sometimes a guy will punch a guy in the head lightly and get 5 games.. and other times a guy will punch to the head and try and take his head off and get nothing. Every year at the start, they make mention of these rules and punishments but they always seem to vary extremely over the season.

Also, I believe they need to be more strict on players who get penalties at the end of a game in a losing cause. I have seen it done numerous times where at the end of the playoffs if a team is losing and going to be eliminated a guy will take a run at another guy, maybe just a hit but since he will get a 2 minute penalty it does not matter because there is no chance of being punished and it is not suspendable. At the end of the playoffs a few years ago the team was getting eliminated and they hit a player on our team from behind, got a 5 and the game but no other consequence because it was the end. Only suspensions carry over to the next season but if you hit a guy on purpose but only get a 2-4 min penalty, guys do it because there is no reason not to... and I have seen people get hurt and brawls break out because of this.

To me, these are minor and compaired to the other leagues in the GTA, I will stick to TN. I have been playing in TN for quite a while and these were just some things I noticed.

Also for those interested, True North does not have an A division either. They start at B/C depending on the night.

I currently play in the Mississauga Adult Hockey League (CMAHL) and I agree with BlackIce that the divisions aren't clearly set. Unlike TN where teams are swapped after 5 games, CMAHL doesn't do it until close to mid way through the season which is about 10 games.

I haven't played in other adult leagues to really compare the difference in chippy-ness, but I can say that it is very rough and competitive in the CMAHL. I'm not a big guy so I do get pushed around quite a bit with no calls being made. However, I do find some refs to be more strict on contact than others and will make the appropriate calls.

I'm planning to play in the summer and was wondering if you guys have any input in terms of competition for the leagues mentioned.

I have an opportunity to play with a team in the ASHL this winter. However, I am hesitant as some people say that it's very rough and "goon-like" . It also seems to have the most divisions of any hockey league in the GTA (e.g. D1, D2, etc.) Not that I can't take the odd bit of contact but for those guys who have a family and a career. It's not cool going to work the next day with a broken arm/ leg or your face full of stitches . On another note, has anyone played with Russell Hockey? It seems low key. How competitive is it?

I'm planning to play in the summer and was wondering if you guys have any input in terms of competition for the leagues mentioned.

I would personally go with TN. Play Brampton though, Rinx sucks... and in the summer it is even worse. ASHL has more divisions and an A division. Again, much more rough than TN but prehaps more competitive. Not sure how they align divisions there.

I have an opportunity to play with a team in the ASHL this winter. However, I am hesitant as some people say that it's very rough and "goon-like" . It also seems to have the most divisions of any hockey league in the GTA (e.g. D1, D2, etc.) Not that I can't take the odd bit of contact but for those guys who have a family and a career. It's not cool going to work the next day with a broken arm/ leg or your face full of stitches . On another note, has anyone played with Russell Hockey? It seems low key. How competitive is it?
Yes, it is a fair amount more rough. Im sure most people do not mind a little bit of contact, but at least in TN they call that little bit (generally) so games do not get out of hand. Most people that play do have work and families, but ASHL does seem to have much more "Younger" people... prehaps why it is more competitive and rough.

I have only heard of Russel Hockey from one guy, said it was pretty clean, but a small league and not very competitive... take that for what it is worth.

IMO, I would stick with TN.

I would personally go with TN. Play Brampton though, Rinx sucks... and in the summer it is even worse. ASHL has more divisions and an A division. Again, much more rough than TN but prehaps more competitive. Not sure how they align divisions there.

Yes, it is a fair amount more rough. Im sure most people do not mind a little bit of contact, but at least in TN they call that little bit (generally) so games do not get out of hand. Most people that play do have work and families, but ASHL does seem to have much more "Younger" people... prehaps why it is more competitive and rough.

I have only heard of Russel Hockey from one guy, said it was pretty clean, but a small league and not very competitive... take that for what it is worth.

IMO, I would stick with TN.

Thanks, for the advice.

Some of the minor bad things: Sometimes they realign to far into a season. I have been on multiple teams over the years where we are in 1st place then with 5-6 games to go a team swap happens and we have 0 chance of keeping that finish. Why does that matter? The first place team gets to play in a tournament with all the other 1st place teams in that tier. It is a pretty fun tournament. Sure, 5 games in... swap a team. But if swapped after most of the season, why should they get 1st place tournament for winning a division in which they did not win most of their games.

Happened to us this winter, but we still managed to finish first.

It was our first winter season with this team, so I guess next year we will be moved up.

I played ASHL in Oakville for one summer. Yes, it was lot rougher than TNH. One game actually was stopped halfway through because everybody on the ice got into a fight.

Russel is good & clean, but it's basically organized shinny as they don't keep score or anything like that.

Outside the university, I've only ever subbed in the DMHL. It seems, for the most part, well-run and competitive. I'd describe the play as intense but not chippy: there's a fair bit of contact along the boards and in front of the net, but no hitting, relatively little stickwork, and only very occasional fights. Post-game handshakes have been sincere: little things like that leave one with a favourable impression.

Did you register as an individual or with a team? How well do they deal with individual players...anyone know? More interested in True North but info on other leagues would be appreciated too

Did you register as an individual or with a team? How well do they deal with individual players...anyone know? More interested in True North but info on other leagues would be appreciated too

With True North you can register as a individual and the league will try to get you on team. As a team rep I have gotten players from the league this past season.

I am not running a team this summer, but might do it again next winter season.

ASHL does take some individual registration and the league will make a team from the individual registrants.

I played in Mississauga in the 90's and that league was crappy. Sad to hear nothing has changed.

I played in the DMHL at the same time and I'm glad to hear it is still a good league.

I spent a long time playing at Westwood as well, I recall those leagues were pretty good.

Just to add my two cents, I've played in TNH for many years, a season in Mississauga, filled in at Chesswood a few times, and only heard rumours regarding ASHL.

In general, I concur with the opinions expressed thus far. Chesswood and CMAHL are both relatively rough in comparison to TNH.

I'm not too sure about other leagues, but I suspect that TN is a little "gentler" than others due to their standings tie breaker rule. The first tie breaker is least penalty minutes as opposed to another other such as most wins, head to head, goal differential, etc.

I'm not too sure about other leagues, but I suspect that TN is a little "gentler" than others due to their standings tie breaker rule. The first tie breaker is least penalty minutes as opposed to another other such as most wins, head to head, goal differential, etc.

That and the fact that TNH runs a beginners program which consists of some hockey instruction sessions and then games: Beginner's Information which at the same time is a great feeder system for their league.

I had a couple of friends who went through that TNH Beginner's Program (both of whom grew up abroad), and they loved it; more to the point, it made them happy rec. league players for life.

I have played in the True North Sunday league for quite a few seasons and only once do I remember anything getting close to out of hand.

In my one season in the ASHL (Vic Park, Tuesday nights) there was a fight perhaps every other week. Maybe it has something to do with playing during the week, but it got pretty tiresome. Chesswood's Sunday league is pretty low level, lots of beginners. I checked out the DMHL once and the level of play seemed pretty high.

I had a couple of friends who went through that TNH Beginner's Program (both of whom grew up abroad), and they loved it; more to the point, it made them happy rec. league players for life.

Same applies to me :)

I was born in Germany and grew up in Brussels.

They (True North) seem to do fine with individual players, getting them on teams. I know a few guys who have done this and were quite happy.

I played in Mississauga in the 90's and that league was crappy. Sad to hear nothing has changed.

I played in the DMHL at the same time and I'm glad to hear it is still a good league.

I spent a long time playing at Westwood as well, I recall those leagues were pretty good.

What is DMHL? Never heard of it?

Chesswood was quite rough, compaired to TN. That being said, the divison was a fair amount higher at Chesstwood. I do not know anyone that still plays there now to really compare but I know a lot who left for ASHL and TN because it was to rough. Leaving a league to go to ASHL does not say much about a league.... lol.

Just to add my two cents, I've played in TNH for many years, a season in Mississauga, filled in at Chesswood a few times, and only heard rumours regarding ASHL.

In general, I concur with the opinions expressed thus far. Chesswood and CMAHL are both relatively rough in comparison to TNH.

Yes, that is true as well. If at the end of a regular season any teams are tied in points, the number 1 tie breaker is penalty minutes. That determines your seed in the playoffs, and I have seen it cost teams a tournament for 1st place teams. (All 1st place teams at the end of the regular season get to participate in a tournament - pretty good tournament to). Also, they suspend periodically at certain thresholds of penalty minutes. Teams that repeatidily get to many penalty minutes, and players that get to many penalty minutes are asked not to return to the league (and off to the ASHL they go... lol).

Also, if you have a 6 team division, the deciding factor in the roundrobin next to points the penalty minutes. Well for 1st place the deciding factor is penalty minutes, 2nd place is decided on head to head. It does make for some odd round robin games when penalty minutes are tight and a team does not go 2-0 and all teams go 1-1.

I had played a game where if we win we were good, but if we lost (all three teams would be 1-1) and had no penalty minutes, and the other team had no penalty minutes we still would get through but if we lost our team and/or the other team (yes, the other team) got a penalty, we would be eliminated. Some guys on our team knew guys from the other team and they joked that if they were winning, they would make sure they would eliminate us by taking a penalty on purpose... which would have worked.

Yeah, that is how I got started playing goalie actually. Pretty fun, made some friends from the new bunch of guys as well. I had no experience with goalie and figured Id give it a shot.
I have played in the True North Sunday league for quite a few seasons and only once do I remember anything getting close to out of hand.

In my one season in the ASHL (Vic Park, Tuesday nights) there was a fight perhaps every other week. Maybe it has something to do with playing during the week, but it got pretty tiresome. Chesswood's Sunday league is pretty low level, lots of beginners. I checked out the DMHL once and the level of play seemed pretty high.

Agreed. I can remember one fight/brawl that got out of hand. Maybe half a dozen times the teams were sent off without shaking hands. Not to much.

What is DMHL? Never heard of it?

Downtown Men's Hockey League

Runs year-round: mostly out of St. Mike's, De Lasalle and the Ricoh in the fall/winter, and Moss Park (ugh) in the spring/summer, with a few games at UCC.

The B divisions are good, but somewhat uneven; the A division is pretty damn good hockey. The B teams tend to be organised around offices, companies, etc., so there are a few less than stellar but reasonably sound, steady players, and the odd weak one; the A teams are usually really good hockey players who know one another from upper-tier junior and college hockey, and want to put together a kick-ass rec. team.

To put it in perspective, Nick Kypreos is an effective player at this level: he's not the most dominant player on his team, and certainly not in the league. Every good A team has a couple of guys who could probably be very good Senior A (OHA/Allen Cup level) players, but can't commit the time, and/or can't be bothered.

I've played two years in the Wave Adult Rookie League in Burlington (www.rookiehockey.ca)

It's a lot of fun and it is completely NON competitive. Lots of beginners, lots of people learning how to skate. There are two divisions though, lower and upper. More experienced players in upper. Skilled people are allowed in the league, but they are only allowed to play if they aren't d-bags... and are there to pass and help out the flow of the game. a lot of people have been asked to leave the league with no refund because of one man showing it constantly, and playing too rough.

All in all, it's a very fun league, lots of smiles all the time, and people just have fun playing with people who are of similar level. A,B,C, and D league'ers need not sign up. This is strictly for beginners and their friends who want to help them out. Lots of families playing together (parents and their children), groups of friends, and etc... this is an 18+ coed league

The last league I played in was the DMHL, and it was terrible. Extremely chippy, poor sportsmanship all round, many fights. This was about 8 years ago however.

I was thinking of looking into russell hockey, but it seems the website is down. Is this league defunct?

The last league I played in was the DMHL, and it was terrible. Extremely chippy, poor sportsmanship all round, many fights. This was about 8 years ago however.

I was thinking of looking into russell hockey, but it seems the website is down. Is this league defunct?

I was thinking about this league as well. Here is the link

Russell Hockey

I was thinking about this league as well. Here is the link

Russell Hockey

I played at their Oakville location for one season.

Definitely very clean and recreational. It's just more like organized shinny though. They don't keep score and the 'ref' is just there to make sure nothing stupid happens.

He doesn't call any penalties or anything. Oh yeah, it's also running time.

I played at their Oakville location for one season.

Definitely very clean and recreational. It's just more like organized shinny though. They don't keep score and the 'ref' is just there to make sure nothing stupid happens.

He doesn't call any penalties or anything. Oh yeah, it's also running time.

Probably not for me then if they don't keep score etc. Might as well just play pick up/drop in.