Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

furlanitalia

Winter Classic 5

The yahoo sports page is saying it will likely be Caps Pens to capitalize on the rivalry between the two.

I think that's a bad choice. They should be using it as a way to showcase other players, as well as the big two.

The January 1 game was a creation of NBC, to fill a hole in their programming schedule. Their only concern is US ratings. Canadian teams are going to get their own game for Hockey Day in Canada, isn't that enough?

Oh I'm not complaining about the lack of Canadian teams. I'll watch anybody. But is this confirmed that we're getting an outdoor game for Hockey Day in Canada? If so than I don't think we need to move the Winter Classic north of the border. I agree that US ratings are a concern and need to be addressed far before the Canadian ones are.

If the league really wanted to capitalize on all the star players I'm kind of surprised they haven't opted to make the all star game an outdoor event. I'm not in favor of this btw, I just wonder if the league has though about it.

I think that's a bad choice. They should be using it as a way to showcase other players, as well as the big two.

I agree! Colorado and Detroit is a pretty good rivalry. Show off the young talent of Colorado...

Well considering Detroit already played one how about Minnesota?

Good point! Minnesota would be an awesome place for the winter classic! Cold as hell I bet!

Minnesota would be a great place and the crowd/local buzz would probably be phenomenal. The problem is, how do you get folks anywhere else excited about Mikko Koivu?

As for any other ideas, if they can hold a NHL preseason outside in Las Vegas then they can hold the classic almost anywhere.

Minnesota would be a great place and the crowd/local buzz would probably be phenomenal. The problem is, how do you get folks anywhere else excited about Mikko Koivu?

As for any other ideas, if they can hold a NHL preseason outside in Las Vegas then they can hold the classic almost anywhere.

They can try to sell people the game from the whole state of hockey standpoint, in fact they could probably work with various minor hockey associations the make a sort of hockey festival with the NHL game as the main attraction. As for the other team, maybe use one of the Sharks/Kings/sunbelt team, to showcase them to the rest of the league. Play the whole warm weather team angle like they do often in football.

They can try to sell people the game from the whole state of hockey standpoint, in fact they could probably work with various minor hockey associations the make a sort of hockey festival with the NHL game as the main attraction. As for the other team, maybe use one of the Sharks/Kings/sunbelt team, to showcase them to the rest of the league. Play the whole warm weather team angle like they do often in football.

The "state of hockey" thing isn't going to add any viewers outside the state of Minnesota. Sunbelt - vs traditional market won't do anything for the ratings either. You need some names that casual fans may recognize as well as entertaining hockey to keep them watching.

Avs vs Sharks in Denver at Coors or Invensco could work..

Young up and coming team in the Avs much like the Hawks were, and San Jose, one of the few teams in the west with multiple recognizable stars for the casual fan. Two great choices in venues in Coors (Home of the Rockies) and Invesco Field (Broncos). You never know with the Colorado weather, but its one of the safer choices in the West.

I'd drop whatever dough I'd have to to get tickets to that.

My guess is two teams from the Western Conference as it's their turn again. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a Canadian team in the mix either

yeah, my money is on rangers vs. caps at (new) Yankee stadium.

I'd go.

There will be no game @ Yankee Stadium anytime soon. They are hosting a Bowl game for the next few seasons if not longer.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=nyy

Is the old Yankee stadium still up? If so they could have it there. Maybe the Met's new Stadium.

You can't highlight all the players, sell the game, improve ratings, etc. with one game. It is much easier to market Sid vs. AO and let the rest follow. Try to bite off more than you can chew and you'll fall short.

The local sports radio station here in Pittsburgh is saying it's all but a done deal. Just need to get the papers signed, etc.

Jan 1 Pens/Caps at Heinz Field

I couldn't agree more

I would even argue that they should try to cram a little Stamkos down folks throats so he doesn't score in obscurity down in Tampa.

Is the old Yankee stadium still up? If so they could have it there. Maybe the Met's new Stadium.

No, and the Met's new stadium is pretty much falling apart already.

I would even argue that they should try to cram a little Stamkos down folks throats so he doesn't score in obscurity down in Tampa.

That's a good point. A Tampa-Washington game wouldn't have been a terrible choice. Either way I'd say the league is just look for an easy game to market. Now we can only hope it's an exciting game.