Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ducksgo

SoCal Rec Leagues?

I know Anaheim ICE and Westminster ICE have pretty good leagues, but I am wondering if there is anything better out there.

Any of you play anywhere else? or have feedback of other leagues not listed above?

Depends on where you live. In the Valley you have Ice-o-plex, Pickwick Ice in Burbank, Easy Street in Simi Valley, Ice Station in Valencia/Santa Clarita, TSC in El Segundo and there's also a league in Pasadena. If you're looking for the highest level of adult rec. hockey, the Elite division in both Anaheim Ice and the TSC are pretty comparable. There's a lot of college and pro players in the division. I've played in all the rinks between Anaheim and Valencia/ Simi Valley and all the divisions in most of these rinks are pretty much the same. Give or take a few pro/college players here and there.

anaheim has good ice and regulation size rinks. a lot of the other rinks have smaller size ice. they are pretty anal there though. teams complain a lot if other teams have good players and they will give you misconduct penalties if all of the jerseys dont match. ive played at alieso viejo ice palace and orange county ice palace. i like them because its more lax there.

oh and the rink at westminster is like a curling rink turned ice hockey. its really small, neutral zone is really small, and there is like 10 feet of ice behind the nets.

anaheim has good ice and regulation size rinks. a lot of the other rinks have smaller size ice. they are pretty anal there though. teams complain a lot if other teams have good players and they will give you misconduct penalties if all of the jerseys dont match. ive played at alieso viejo ice palace and orange county ice palace. i like them because its more lax there.

oh and the rink at westminster is like a curling rink turned ice hockey. its really small, neutral zone is really small, and there is like 10 feet of ice behind the nets.

Right now Im playing at Westminster, I'm in the rookie league and so far it's been good I get confused as hell with all those fing curling dots on the ice though wtf!

The ice at Westminster is BRUTAL. It chewed all the way through my friction tape in one game. As far as the curling lines, I don't even notice them.

As for Anaheim Ice being strict about jerseys, it's because they include jerseys in the price to play. A lot of established teams elect to pay a discounted rate, and get jerseys on their own. Unfortunately, there are some teams that simply decide to pay the lower fee, and show up with a hodge podge of miss-matched crap.

That being said, I'm still looking for a few players for Anaheim Ice. If I can't find enough guys, I'll be looking for a team to skate with. Anyone interested either way?

I play at Glacial Gardens in Lakewood and Icetown in Riverside. I live in Yorba Linda so that should tell you what I think of all the rinks in between. At both rinks I think they do an excellent job of watching for ringers and adjusting the leagues season to season. If you dominate the league you get moved up, if you get killed you move down. I liked playing at Disney but that big winter season drove me away and I also enjoyed playing at Artesia.

SD... Icetown in La Jolla, SDIA in Mira Mesa, Iceoplex in Escondido, Joan Kroc Center in La Mesa.

Icetown and Kroc Center both host four divisions from beginner to advanced. I hear the D1 and D2 stuff at both rinks are pretty solid. I play D3 at Kroc and it's pretty competitive. They mix D3 with D4 and D1 with D2 at Kroc so there's more than 4 teams in the regular season but in playoffs you only play your division. I'm not sure about Iceoplex as far as leagues go but SDIA only hosts D3, D4, and D5. Most of the higher skilled guys play at Icetown or Kroc.

Best ice is easily SDIA. Kroc can be pretty solid at times but sometimes it's hit or miss. Icetown is in the middle of a mall food court so the ice is terrible with doors constantly opening and closing and all those kitchens running.

If you're ever in San Diego give SDIA or Kroc pick up games a try. Both are pretty solid skill wise.

SD... Icetown in La Jolla, SDIA in Mira Mesa, Iceoplex in Escondido, Joan Kroc Center in La Mesa.

Icetown and Kroc Center both host four divisions from beginner to advanced. I hear the D1 and D2 stuff at both rinks are pretty solid. I play D3 at Kroc and it's pretty competitive. They mix D3 with D4 and D1 with D2 at Kroc so there's more than 4 teams in the regular season but in playoffs you only play your division. I'm not sure about Iceoplex as far as leagues go but SDIA only hosts D3, D4, and D5. Most of the higher skilled guys play at Icetown or Kroc.

Best ice is easily SDIA. Kroc can be pretty solid at times but sometimes it's hit or miss. Icetown is in the middle of a mall food court so the ice is terrible with doors constantly opening and closing and all those kitchens running.

If you're ever in San Diego give SDIA or Kroc pick up games a try. Both are pretty solid skill wise.

SDIA a few years ago revamped there entire rink. Board, Stands, Benche, Ice ETC. Its amazing looking. Not bad for the original Southern Cali RINK!

TSC in El Segundo will have the best league play. Simply because that's where the best players play.

SDIA a few years ago revamped there entire rink. Board, Stands, Benche, Ice ETC. Its amazing looking. Not bad for the original Southern Cali RINK!

Yeah I had a buddy of mine tell me that but the last time I had played there before recently was when I was 14 so I didn't remember. lol.

SDIA is great. Nice hard ice. Kroc is a gorgeous facility (they go so far as to squeegee the glass down daily). However the ice is AWFUL during public skating sessions. It's so torn up... very soft. It literally seems like they bring out the zambonis once a day and thats it. It may be better for hockey, I dunno. I've only been to SDIA for hockey.

SDIA is great. Nice hard ice. Kroc is a gorgeous facility (they go so far as to squeegee the glass down daily). However the ice is AWFUL during public skating sessions. It's so torn up... very soft. It literally seems like they bring out the zambonis once a day and thats it. It may be better for hockey, I dunno. I've only been to SDIA for hockey.

Both rinks seem to have guys who do a great job on the Zamboni and then those other guys who just don't care. The last few times I went to SDIA the ice has been terrible. It was like skating on gravel after 10 minutes. Kroc has been getting better and better. They also seem to keep the rink a lot cooler now as well.