Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrhky36

Winnipeg Jets return

You would be incorrect. I've seen him a a number of coyote and blackhawk games prior to him being announced as a potential owner.

I really don't want to see the new ownership groups trying to take advantage of the city. As much as Phoenix is a viable market over the long term, they would be better served losing the team than paying a kings ransom to keep them.

( I was being facetious) Agreed. I think the taxpayers of Glendale would be not well served if they choose to keep the team. The money has to come from somewhere. You'd hate to see them having to either raise taxes or cut something to fund this venture.

( I was being facetious) Agreed. I think the taxpayers of Glendale would be not well served if they choose to keep the team. The money has to come from somewhere. You'd hate to see them having to either raise taxes or cut something to fund this venture.

Without a team, it opens up more dates for concerts and events. With or without the team, they need to book that building as heavily as possible

Without a team, it opens up more dates for concerts and events. With or without the team, they need to book that building as heavily as possible

That's for sure. I understand that part of Glendale is pretty dead when there is no event at the arena. Just heard the motion has passed in Glendale and that the city is planning to cover the losses. Remember when you were a kid and you never thought about the business end of things. Of course I remember thinking all the Toronto Maple Leafs had to be from Toronto. Ah, being a naive kid again. Puts a bit of pall on things at the end of the day but so do most adult realizations :)

what a terrible mayor. i'm all for keeping teams in nontraditional markets but to spend that tax payer money on a hockey team instead of cutting taxes or using it for city services that benefit ALL tax payers seems more sensible to me. I like how all the ignorant fans on their comment that the yotes are a losing team..... as if moving them would suddenly make them better.

Both locations have their problems.

Glendale is in the middle of NOWHERE! It cost me $60 for a good ticket...but almost $200 roundtrip in cab rides to the game. It is so far out of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and you have to navigate through a parking lot of traffic to get there. As a frequent traveler....knock Scottsdale off my list of places I will sign up to go. The building is in the middle of an entertainment park with a mall and a whole bunch of restaurants. If they had a monorail or some type of rapid transit from Phoenix to Glendale, I truly believe the situation would be so much different.

Winnipeg has been growing economically, and has taken many steps to try and curb some of their crime. Those were the two major downfalls of the city. With that said, their crime situation is still better than Edmonton, but Winnipeg doesn't have the sand oil reserves that is increasing the economy in the province of Alberta. I know people that are getting sick offers to move to Alberta with CDLs and any refining experience.

Very interesting article/series TSN is running this week about the potential for another Canadian team. Today was about Winnipeg.

What Norm O'Reilly says: "With the right owner, and the right management team, and the right overall philosophy, you could make it work. You'd have to accept probably not having a high paid team on the ice. You're going to fill 80 to 90 per cent of your building with an average team so your risks are mitigated a bit. With a few factors in play, with the current economic situation, it could work. Long term? That's a question."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326714

One of the guys on my team mentioned to me that when the schedules were released by the NHL that for a very short amount of time when you went to the Coyotes website and clicked to view the schedule it showed home games in Winnipeg.

Only read the second link, and was fine with it up until the part about saint Balsilie. That part was a load of crap.

Only read the second link, and was fine with it up until the part about saint Balsilie. That part was a load of crap.

Can't blame Stephen Brunt for some bias since he lives in Hamilton :)

Can't blame Stephen Brunt for some bias since he lives in Hamilton :)

Sure, you can blame him for being a piss-poor journalist if he feels the need to add things like that.

Chadd you from Phoenix?

Nope, just get annoyed with people not really looking at the big picture. If a team moves back to Winnipeg, it will be there less than a decade.

Nope, just get annoyed with people not really looking at the big picture. If a team moves back to Winnipeg, it will be there less than a decade.

It might be, but I think what's more important to the NHL now is that in Winnipeg they will have an owner who isn't going to declare bankruptcy any time soon even if the team is losing money. If he has to move the team later he'll do it on his own and he won't become a burden to the rest of the owners. Buying the NHL 10 years is looking pretty good right now especially because Atlanta is the next headache they have to deal with.

It might be, but I think what's more important to the NHL now is that in Winnipeg they will have an owner who isn't going to declare bankruptcy any time soon even if the team is losing money. If he has to move the team later he'll do it on his own and he won't become a burden to the rest of the owners. Buying the NHL 10 years is looking pretty good right now especially because Atlanta is the next headache they have to deal with.

From the article I linked to over the summer:

What Norm O'Reilly says: "With the right owner, and the right management team, and the right overall philosophy, you could make it work. You'd have to accept probably not having a high paid team on the ice. You're going to fill 80 to 90 per cent of your building with an average team so your risks are mitigated a bit. With a few factors in play, with the current economic situation, it could work. Long term? That's a question."

Moving into the smallest building in the league in the smallest market in the league shouldn't be the no-brainer that some people suggest and does nothing to grow the league moving forward.

First, the league isn't going to relocate a team somewhere with an inkling that it will need to be moved again in 8-10 years. Second, regardless of how rich the owner is, no owner wants to lose millions of dollars a year on a losing proposition.

I agree with you on that. It's a 15 000 seat arena. How in the hell do they think that the NHL would be viable in such a small rink? How many seats can be added to the rink if needed? and at what cost? It wouldn't do any good to the league or Canada for that matter to move a team back to Winnipeg only to have it move again in a decade or less while putting mediocre teams on the ice so not to lose too much money. Quebec city with a bigger rink IMO would be in the same situation or close. I don't think that they have the population and corporation to support a team. People are all saying we deserve a team and will support the team but when the time comes to fork out $200 for a decent seat, a lot of those supporters will back off and watch the games on TV. The only thing that could make it work is that Pier-Karl Peladeau, the potential owner of an NHL team possesses a cable distribution company (Videotron) in the Province of Quebec and was recently attributed a licence to launch a Sports only Channel. Now, the channel hasn't launched yet but one can think that he would either add the new channel to a package and charge a few bucks for the package for those willing to pay to watch the Nordiques and whichever other sport programs that would make it to the grid. Or, he could simply hike every cable subscribers Bill by a couple of bucks a month which would potentially bring in a couple of millions a month so about 24 millions a year.

I'm voting for a move to seattle. mostly because I'm moving there and the closest pro hockey that i'm aware of is in abbotsford.

Seattle always pops up on the list of potential relocation sites, but there's no arena here. Not only is Key Arena not big enough, it's a dump. Seattle won't get a sniff at the NHL unless someone builds a new arena.