Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dw91

Homemade Skate Sharpeners

Anyone make a homemade cross grinder yet?

Any challenges or FYIs that came up during the process?

Seems like it would be much simpler than fabricating a finishing wheel.

That is awesome Croiso. I got the exact same old sharpener currently sitting in my garage waiting for me to restore it. But I use an X2 Blackstone currently and plan on messing with that as well.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the "ideal" rpm the electric motor in a skate sharpener should run at? Or more exactly what the sharpening disk should spin at? Somewhere I read that they should spin at 4000rpm. A Wissota 911 spins at 3450rpm. The Incredible Edger motor spins at around 1400rpm but it belt drives the disk at around 6100rpm. Anyone know what a Blackstone, Blademaster etc spin at? If you have access to a machine it should be on the motor.

Edited by Vet88

21 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Does anyone know what the "ideal" rpm the electric motor in a skate sharpener should run at? Or more exactly what the sharpening disk should spin at? Somewhere I read that they should spin at 4000rpm. A Wissota 911 spins at 3450rpm. The Incredible Edger motor spins at around 1400rpm but it belt drives the disk at around 6100rpm. Anyone know what a Blackstone, Blademaster etc spin at? If you have access to a machine it should be on the motor.

Howdy,

Ideal RPM is going to depend on grinding wheel diameter, isn't it?  I would assume what you really care about is the SFPM, though would also assume that there's a reasonable operating range.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Ideal RPM is going to depend on grinding wheel diameter, isn't it?  I would assume what you really care about is the SFPM, though would also assume that there's a reasonable operating range.

Mark

There has to be a reasonable operating range otherwise one would be changing disks out that had relatively little wear on them but there has to be more to it than that. A Wissota 911 uses a 7" disc, a Incredible Edger uses a 3" disc so their SFPM a fair way apart. Maybe it's the composition of the discs, I don't know if one can use aftermarket discs with a Wissota, we purchase from a number of suppliers for the Incredible Edger.

Now that I'm looking into this it is surprising how little there is out there about the subject. If you look into the science behind knife sharpening there are 100's of articles but skate sharpening, almost nada. So many questions - What is the ideal SFPM? What is the range? Why isn't there a water cooled sharpener? In theory a shallower hollow should keep it's edge longer, has anyone actually tested this? Why doesn't a slow spin ultra cooled disc work for skate sharpeners as it seems to be a nirvana for knife sharpeners?

If anyone knows of any publications re the science behind skate sharpening then I'd be grateful if you could point them out.

One point is that in the knife world, there those that are into sharpening to keep their knives functioning and there are those for whom I think sharpening is in and of itself the hobby.  Both actually represent a small percentage of people who actually use knives.  Most buy cheap knives and use them even when they dull, lose them, or just constantly buy replacement knives.

I would assume there are far more people using knives than skates so it does follow that there is more written about knives.