Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisplosions

Bauer P92 vs P88

The one thing I noticed most going from a P88 to P92 was my shots going over the net. That's probably due to the slightly open face of the P92 compared to the closed face of the P88. The lie's are slightly different as well which will take a game or two to adjust to. Both are excellent curves.

I have both curves. The P88 has great wrist shot capabilities but most of my wristers went in the middle of the net in terms of height. Handling was so so. When turning with the P88, I found it more of an effort to keep the puck on the blade. Receiving passes with the P88 is more difficult.

Went back to the P92. Easier to hit top shelf after 1 or 2 sessions with it. Passing and stick handling is magnificent. I also like the look of the blade more than the P88.

The P88 to me seems like a good all around stick but the P92 is more my style of reception of passing, hitting top shelf, accuracy and handling the puck.

Good luck

I have both curves. The P88 has great wrist shot capabilities but most of my wristers went in the middle of the net in terms of height. Handling was so so. When turning with the P88, I found it more of an effort to keep the puck on the blade. Receiving passes with the P88 is more difficult.

Went back to the P92. Easier to hit top shelf after 1 or 2 sessions with it. Passing and stick handling is magnificent. I also like the look of the blade more than the P88.

The P88 to me seems like a good all around stick but the P92 is more my style of reception of passing, hitting top shelf, accuracy and handling the puck.

Good luck

considering that both 88 & 92 are mid curves with the same lie and the only difference 92 being open, and 88 being neutral I'm not sure how passing and stick handling could be affected? In fact receiving passes should be easier with 88 due to ability to cup the puck more...

but hitting top shelf is certainly much easier with 92, so after some back&forth I also settled on it over 88.

They are both listed as the same lie, but are far from actually being the same lie. I have both and the P88 is less of a lie than the P92.

considering that both 88 & 92 are mid curves with the same lie and the only difference 92 being open, and 88 being neutral I'm not sure how passing and stick handling could be affected? In fact receiving passes should be easier with 88 due to ability to cup the puck more...

but hitting top shelf is certainly much easier with 92, so after some back&forth I also settled on it over 88.

The rocker profile on the bottom of the blade is very different and the extra loft makes it play very differently.

Could not agree more P88 is a great all around with a mid net finish. P92 for going upstairs and a tighter spaces. If I had to choose one its a P92

I'm a P92-er (on a Vapor X:60), but I'm considering trying a P88 next. It funny b/c I love the P92 (and all my Sakics before it) at practice and stick-n-puck and feel like I can control my shots, but for some reason under game pressure I can't seem to keep the puck from rising way over the net or fluttering horribly on longish wristers and snappers.

Its probably something I should address with technique rather than by buying a new stick/blade, but I'm wondering whether you all think that having the identical curve, but with less loft (i.e. the P88) will help with controlling trajectory?

I'm a P92-er (on a Vapor X:60), but I'm considering trying a P88 next. It funny b/c I love the P92 (and all my Sakics before it) at practice and stick-n-puck and feel like I can control my shots, but for some reason under game pressure I can't seem to keep the puck from rising way over the net or fluttering horribly on longish wristers and snappers.

Its probably something I should address with technique rather than by buying a new stick/blade, but I'm wondering whether you all think that having the identical curve, but with less loft (i.e. the P88) will help with controlling trajectory?

I use both, and prefer the p92.

My opinions only - I find the p92 a little easier to control, after the initial adjustment of sailing shots over the net for a few days. In a game setting, I find it's a lot easier to shelf the puck in tight with the p92. I can still get the elevation out of the p88, but I fell that it takes a split second longer with more follow-through. With the p88 I find that I have to rely more on proper form to elevate the puck vs. being able to do it with a quick snap of the wrists/minimal windup with the p92. Once I got used to it, the p92 huge help with getting off quick, accurate shots under game pressure.

You might be trading away some of these benefits of the p92 if you switch to the p88. That being said, I definitely have an easier time keeping shots down with the p88. It also feels to me like the lie of the p88 plays a bit lower. If I played D regularly, I'd probably prefer the p88.

i just went to the store to look at the p92 and WOW the curve is huge compared to the P88...the blade is bigger, curve is bigger, toe is bigger...but i do like how there's the flat spot between the heel and mid of the blade where you can get some good stick handling done..the other thing i noticed is that the blade barely touches the ground..maybe only an inch of it can touch the ground at once...

it's a pretty intimidating curve but i guess i won't know what it's really like till i try it on the ice.

I've used and like both as well.

With the 92 you have to focus on proper form and follow through to keep your shots below the crossbar, both on slappers and wristers.

I also thought backhanders were easier with the 88.

Interesting observations from those who have tried the P88. Bottom line is I think its worth experimenting. I have an old shaft so I don't think it can hurt to slap a P88 in there and take it out to a stick-n-puck :)

Bauer seems to change the P88 every year anyways, but I've always hated the rocker in the blade of the P88. From what I can tell, they've toned it down in the latest variation.

i have both p88 and p92 (both one95s). While i love both blades, i ended up settling for the p92 more often, it just takes less effort to shelf the puck. Basically it's a quicker release for me. After some adjustments (shooting over the net) and once you can control the blade, it will be deadly.

If you are going to be faithful to a Bauer stick you can choose either. But if you want to experiment at all with Warrior or Easton might want to stick with the p92. After being a p88 user for about 2 years I switched to a p92/sakic/draper to experiment with some other brands.

All in all though, my play hasnt been much different