Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2010-2011 Gear Sightings

109478864_slide.jpg

Didn't realize his stick was THAT short.

Definitely on the short side, but honestly an absolute tonne of pros use sticks that most of us would consider short, up to around the collar bone in skates. There are some guys who use longer sticks (I'm pretty sure guys like Semin, Stamkos and Datsyuk have sticks more around chin height), but if there's a rule of thumb for stick length among NHLers I'd say it's roughly collar bone on skates. This is a pretty good article on stick length from Howie Meeker, an old school NHL player and coach:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com

Look at the Ovie picks, now THAT is a short stick!

Ovechkin3.png

Ovechkin2.jpg

Sorry for the minor thread derail, just wanted to point out that Kovalchuk's stick is actually not that short for an NHLer.

Definitely on the short side, but honestly an absolute tonne of pros use sticks that most of us would consider short, up to around the collar bone in skates. There are some guys who use longer sticks (I'm pretty sure guys like Semin, Stamkos and Datsyuk have sticks more around chin height), but if there's a rule of thumb for stick length among NHLers I'd say it's roughly collar bone on skates. This is a pretty good article on stick length from Howie Meeker, an old school NHL player and coach:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com

Look at the Ovie picks, now THAT is a short stick!

Ovechkin3.png

Ovechkin2.jpg

Sorry for the minor thread derail, just wanted to point out that Kovalchuk's stick is actually not that short for an NHLer.

Is that why ovie uses such a whippy stick.

Until someone checks his stick for an elliptical taper, we won't know for sure. Based on his past stick history, I guessed it was an ST.........

Solid rumors of a white s19 hitting stores...

Until someone checks his stick for an elliptical taper, we won't know for sure. Based on his past stick history, I guessed it was an ST.........

i think you misunderstood me. I wasn't asking if it was a true S19, just asking if it was painted as a white s19 or something else. I wasn't doubting you about it being a ST painted as one.

Hejduk in EQ50 skates, and (I don't follow the Ducks much) Getzlaf wearing a visor?

Getzlaf had his sinus' broken by a puck in a game a few weeks ago. That would explain the visor.

not sure about you guys and your stick length preferences, but i like mine much longer than many, mine is about at my nose on skates (pretty much as tall as me not on skates) my blade i perfectly flat on the ice and i play much better with a long stick, ive tried short sticks and just cant shoot. i do play defense so it helps to give me a longer reach and it helps with slappers as i dont have to bend down as much to take my shot and i can load up on the stick a little easier

Stick statistics in the NHL, active players only. No injured players accounted for, i.e. no Crosby, Malkin, ...

Here is the count as of 2/1/11:

Easton – 249 41.4 %

Bauer – 180 30.6%

CCM/RBK – 85 14.3%

Warrior – 59 9.9%

Others – 21 3.8%

According to Easton...
I'm not suggesting we do it, but it wouldn't be that hard to divvy up teams among members and have them report on actual gear usage (excluding protective).

I had some time to kill on a recent flight so I went through each team to track the Warrior stick usage and it's pretty close to the number above. I actually got a number in the 60s. But there are a few guys I wasn't sure to count because they are switching up all the time (Recchi, etc). And if anyone is interested, the STL Blues have the highest concentration of Warrior sticks, while Pittsburgh is among the lowest. Actually, Kovalev is the only Warrior stick guy on their team. Teams I could not account for any Warrior sticks, 4 teams: TOR (since trading Versteeg and Kaberle), NYI, ANA and CAR. But certainly, I could have missed someone.

Indeed, too much time to kill on a PA to AZ flight. :biggrin:

I had some time to kill on a recent flight so I went through each team to track the Warrior stick usage and it's pretty close to the number above. I actually got a number in the 60s. But there are a few guys I wasn't sure to count because they are switching up all the time (Recchi, etc). And if anyone is interested, the STL Blues have the highest concentration of Warrior sticks, while Pittsburgh is among the lowest. Actually, Kovalev is the only Warrior stick guy on their team. Teams I could not account for any Warrior sticks, 4 teams: TOR (since trading Versteeg and Kaberle), NYI, ANA and CAR. But certainly, I could have missed someone.

Indeed, too much time to kill on a PA to AZ flight. :biggrin:

Wow! Must have been a LONG flight haha! Interesting #'s tho.

What type of full shield are injured players using now a days? A friend needs to replace hers and can't find the old Oakley she likes.

Not positive but I'm pretty sure Horton was using Easton but now has a Warrior stick.

Using one as we speak, against Sens. Widow, I assume.

Bauer recons are awesome, but quite pricey

Mixed feelings about the recon, doesnt ventilate well and looks like a giant fish bowl but it does have great vision! Concept II gets my vote.

Wow! Must have been a LONG flight haha! Interesting #'s tho.

The Wings had to have been a close second. I can think of 4 off the top of my head