Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Warrior Messiah Wheeled Goalie Bag (2010)

Product:

2010 Warrior Messiah Wheeled Goalie Bag (dimensions 40”x 20”x 20”)

Reviewer Specs:

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 220lbs

Experience: 21 years rec and beer league

Contents:

• 37” Pads

• Pants

• Blocker and Trapper

• Skates

• Mask

• Chest and Arm

• All Under Gear

For anyone that has been following the Warrior Messiah Goalie Wheel Bag “Intial Impressions” thread, you will probably know that I had a couple concerns with the new bag. My concerns were not entirely based on the bag itself but rather past experience with products I’ve used that were manufactured by several companies other than Warrior. Well Keith at Warrior called me out on this and challenged me to take another look at the new Messiah bag and put it through some “real world” paces and let him and everyone else know how “this” bag holds up. So we’re going to put it to the MSH Long Term review test.

To recap, everyone knows that I sincerely felt this was the closest to finally seeing a perfect wheeled goalie bag on the market. The materials were all heavy duty, the design was solid and functional, and if you like a little flash, the graphics package really drew attention. My initial complaints were:

1) The “potential” for premature failure of the plastic handle. I love the retractable handle over the stitched fabric handles some manufacturers have switched to, but they do provide a point of premature failure. Based on other manufacturers products I’ve used in the past, the plastic handles failing at the two mounting screws has always been an inevitability. Unlike player gear, goalie equipment is quite heavy and the strain on the thin plastic handles is simply too much. The result is handle failure within the first few months. And this isn’t just my previous experience it’s well documented on goalie boards and in dressing room conversation everywhere.

2) There is no lift handle on the side of the retractable handle. This is something that Keith stated was an oversight and is already being corrected by Warrior on the next generation bag. In the meantime, I’m going to fabricate a secondary lifting handle on the test bag and go though step by step how you can do the same on your bag. This will make getting all that gear in and out of your vehicle immensely easier. Watch for the upcoming post...

3) The potential for base/wheel failure. I had noted initially when I loaded my gear into the bag and stood it up that the right side wheel was slightly buckling under the bag. Again, this is something that I’ve seen happen on other manufacturers bags, both player and goalie, that resulted in the base of the bags cracking, the support bars failing, ultimately the wheels collapsing completely under the bag and rendering them useless in trying to pull the bag. I have to re-emphasize that these were failures I witnessed on “other manufacturers” products and not on the Warrior bag. Keith has stated the extra metal supports integrated within the bags base will prevent this from happening. Again, it was a concern, not an actual failure, and we’re going to put this bag through the paces and find out for sure how it holds up.

messiahbag1.jpg

So the test is going to go like this. I’m going to use the Warrior Messiah wheel bag exclusively this season and keep you updated on its progress. This means this bag will see a minimum of three nights of service per week during the winter season and two nights of service per week during the summer as well as any tournaments, MSH games, etc. that crop up in between. It’s going to see, snow, slush, ice, heat, rain, the whole gamut of Canadian weather, it’s going to be jammed with heavy wet goalie gear and I’m going to tell you how it holds up. This is probably the harshest of conditions that a goalie bag could expect to see, but at the same time, it’s the same conditions many of you are going to be using your equipment bags under so it will really be a fair assessment.

So lets start the evaluation with, “how do you get all that gear into such a small space?” My previous bag was a CCM/Gatekeeper bag (dimension 44”x24”x24”). As anyone who has made it to one of the Michigan MSH games can attest to, it had ample space. You could easily fit all your gear and say… a case of something… if you wanted to. Now we’re going to lose 4” in every direction of space. To make this work you need to plan your packing. So step by step here’s how to do it:

1) The pads are loaded at the wheel end close to the exterior of the bag.

messiahbag2.jpg

2) The pants go in between the pads.

messiahbag3.jpg

3) The mask and skates are loaded at the handle end of the bag.

messiahbag4.jpg

4) The accessories (cup/shower sandals/shower supplies/water bottle) can be stowed in the waistline opening of the pants.

messiahbag5.jpg

5) The chest and arm protector lays on top of the pads/pants.

messiahbag6.jpg

6) The gloves lay on top of the skates.

messiahbag7.jpg

7) The under gear and accessories go in the opening left in the centre.

messiahbag8.jpg

The finished product...

messiahbag9.jpg

messiahbag10.jpg

It is a tight fit but lets face it. I’m using a lot of pre-spec gear, it’s big, and the bag really does hold everything you “need” to jam in it. So from a review perspective. Fit = 10/10. :wink: You can experiment with other set ups to stow your gear but this will at least give you a starting point.

From an outside space perspective. The smaller dimensions of the bag make it easier to load into most vehicles. The Messiah fit comfortably into our hockey hauler on it’s way to game #1…

messiahbag11.jpg

Just a minor update on the Messiah wheel bag. A couple of things I thought of after writing up the initial review that I wanted to mention. First, I noticed that "this" bag doesn't have grab handles at either end. The first bag I purchased at least had a grab handle at the wheel end, this one has none. I'm just speculating here but perhaps this was just an early production thing, maybe one of the first units made as a salesmans sample or an early prototype. I was going to make a grab handle for the retractable handle end of the bag anyways so I'll just make two now. The update will be coming. I had run out of thread and just picked up a new roll so as soon as I finish modifying some knee protectors for my Vaughn Epic 8600 goalie pants (future gear review) I can start on the grab handles.

messiahbag15.jpg

messiahbag16.jpg

I also wanted to mention the interior compartments on this bag. I personally don't really use them but I know many of you may and I should have documented them. There are two large "dry" pockets, one on either end of the bag. These could be used for stowing wet undergear or as skate pockets. There is also a breathable mesh pocket that runs down the entire inside length of one side of the bag and is segmented into three unique sections that could be used for stowing, tape, extra "sham wow" sweatbands, extra laces, quick repair kits etc... Could be handy and definitely worth noting.

messiahbag12.jpg

messiahbag13.jpg

messiahbag14.jpg

The last thing I wanted to mention was that after the first two nights of use I have yet to notice any of the wheel sag that was immediately noticeable on the first bag I purchased. It may very well be that was simply a problem limited to the one wheel on that one bag only. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted. :)

Well I’ve hit the 5th time in use mark and so far the bag is holding up respectably. I did have a recurrence of the “collapsing wheel” syndrome for the first time with “this” bag. I had all the gear loaded up, dropped the bag off at the front door and was ready to head out when I noticed the right side wheel was bending back under the bag exactly the way the wheel on the first bag did. This time the camera had fresh batteries so I got a couple pictures before we left.

messiahbagwheelbend1.jpg

messiahbagwheelbend2.jpg

messiahbagwheelbend3.jpg

Now it should be noted that although the wheel was collapsing back “before” the game. When I repacked it to go home “after” the game it had returned to its normal position. I’m attributing this to the way the pads were packed. You can see by the side bulge in the pictures that there was a gap at the end of the bag indicating the pads may not have been completely settled to the base. This is just an assumption but I’m going to make sure to take extra care in putting the pads into the bag for future games to see if this occurs again or if it eliminates the problem. It’s possible that the pad on that side of the bag was simply caught up on the wheel housing inside the bag. Should provide some good photo insight for Keith and the boys over at Warrior to see what I tried to describe earlier anyways... a picture is worth a thousand words right? :smile:

As for the handle modification…I’ve hit a snag. I got the webbing cut and stitched the way I wanted it. I was all set to have it installed and I can’t find anyone in Windsor with a walking foot cylinder arm sewing machine to do the final stitch work I need. One repair shop offered to hand stitch the handles in but 1) I’ve seen his work previously and 2) I could just as easily do that myself at home with a sewing awl. I’ll post the progress to date but for now the bag remains as received and my quest for a sewing shop continues. There are a few places outside of town offering power sewing that I’ll be contacting shortly. Former employees of Brian’s/Heaton’s that started their own businesses when the other two were in various states of change.

If you aren’t familiar with what a “walking foot, cylinder arm” sewing machine is. ( And why would you be…?) It is a sewing machine typically used by shoe makers amongst others that allows you to get into small spaces and stitch in any direction. It’s perfect for applications like reaching into the ends of a goalie bag and stitching across the side, or closing leg seams on a goalie pad etc. I saw a great YouTube video depicting one once that I’ll see if I can locate to give you a better idea of just how flexible these things are.

Toro4000RPed600.jpg

For today I’ll close by giving all you would be “gear modders” a great tip I received from a lady at Fabric Land when I was first starting out repairing gear. When repairing your hockey equipment use “upholstery” thread. Why did she recommend this? Well for one it costs about a buck more per roll… :dry: But she explained to me that upholstery thread is 100% synthetic. It is up to 10x stronger than cotton and cotton blend threads. Although a “heavy duty” thread it is no thicker than standard thread and easily passes through standard sized sewing needle eyelets. It does not retain water. It does not weaken when wet the way cotton thread does and it cannot hold/promote mold or bacterial growth. That’s gotta be worth an extra buck right?

upholsterythread.jpg

Quickie update. Game #6 and no evidence of the wheel buckle... :smile:

We're currently between seasons, Summer hockey ended August 31st and our Winter hockey doesn't start until September 13th, but as usual we managed to squeeze a game in the middle. A good friend of ours that runs a men's league team had a number of new players on his roster this year and wanted to get a trial run to see how they play together, so he challenged the Co-ed pick up group MissConduct and I administer to a pre-season bought. This gave me another opportunity to load up the Messiah and head off to the rink. This time I made sure the pads were placed right to the base of the bag when packing my gear and had absolutely no problem with the wheel housing buckling under either going to or coming from the rink. I'll continue to monitor this and keep you posted... :wink:

The search still continues for someone to sew the end straps. I thought I'd found a good candidate. A local shop that repaired luggage. Turns out they're no longer around. :sad:

Games #7, #8 and #9

I've had no recurrences of the wheel buckle. :smile: It seems being a little more careful in the way I pack the bag has taken care of that problem. Not much new to report other than a couple "it just feels right" things I'd like to mention.

1) This bag rolls really easily. My previous CCM/Gatekeeper and Brians bags never seemed to roll so easily. I don't know if it's just better bearings or the large diameter wheels but I'm really liking it.

2) With all the equipment fitting more snug within the bag it seems more easy to handle. The bags smaller dimensions that initially struck me as a possible detriment seem to be quite perfect actually. With all the equipment in, the bag doesn't feel all sloppy and loose like my previous bag and it actually makes it feel easier to handle and maneuver.

3) I'm still getting looks from people and especially other goalies whenever I roll into the arena or dressing room. The graphics package on the bag really does stand out. One of the other goalies I play with was so impressed with the bag after we discussed it a bit that he said he was going out and getting one as well. It really has been the topic of many conversations so far... :smile:

The only other negative I've run into is a small hole in the end of the bag. :sad: Not sure if someone stepped on it with a skate or maybe a stone from the parking lot poked through while it was standing on end. It's not big, just there. I'll post a pic soon.

Overall I'm really enjoying my experience with the bag so far and I'm quite happy that Keith at Warrior challenged me to take a second look at this bag.

As for the end handles project... Windsor pretty much sucks for people that sew things. I haven't run across anyone that has the machine that I need to have the handles sewn in yet. BUT... this project is not dead. I just purchased an old Singer 29k machine myself. I take delivery of it next week so stay tuned.

Game #10, #11, #12, #13,

I'm happy to report that everything is still "rolling along" fine... :biggrin: Another four games under my belt using the Messiah and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm still really enjoying my experience with this bag.

A couple of side note updates. As of Monday, I'm now hauling a set of nhl spec gear in the bag. My big ol' pre spec gear is gone. :sad: Doesn't seem to actually make much difference in the capacity of the bag. Everything fit well before so it continues to fit well now. Also, took delivery of my old Singer 29k machine. Now I just need some time to oil and string it up and get to installing the end handles...

Game #14, #15 and End Handle Update.

So far so good. Everything is holding up quite well, no problems to report.

I got the old Singer 29K oiled and threaded up this past weekend and got a good start on the handle project before running out of time. Admittedly some of the stitch work isn't as straight as it probably should be (kinda rushed) but structuraly it's sound. Where does one find the time...? :blink:

Anyway, here is a project recap from "go" to "now". One thing you need to know is I am kind of a frugal shopper. I wouldn't say "cheap". I have expensive tastes (ie Vaughn Velocity goalie gear for rec hockey :wink:) but I have learned to make the most of my money. So, stop #1, The Dollar Store! Picked up two luggage straps for $1 each. Why? 48" of 2" black corded nylon and 2 spare 2" clips to repair shoulder straps or other future projects for $2. This same purchase would have been well over $10-$15 at Fabric Land. No need to simply waste money right?

So I started by locating a good spot to put the end handles in. Right at the tops of the end panels there is a strip that extends end to end with no obstructions right above the inside skate pockets that is perfect for easy location of the handles. Inside measurement is 19.5". I cut off a couple pieces of 19.5" long corded nylon to act as the inside support for the handles.

messiahbaghandles4.jpg

Then I looked at how the top bag handles were formed. They were simply folded and stitched 2" corded nylon. Easy enough to duplicate. So I cut two pieces 22" long (to allow the handle to stick out off the bag), measured the length of the factory handles and duplicated that measurement on the new end handles.

messiahbaghandles1.jpg

messiahbaghandles7.jpg

messiahbaghandles6.jpg

With everthing stitched up you end up with 2 19.5" backing strips and 2 22" handle strips.

messiahbaghandles9.jpg

The next step is just to sew the end handles in place on the bag. Start by putting the backing strip inside the bag and use simple stick pins to hold it in place then put a stitch around the entire circumference.

messiahbaghandles12.jpg

Once the reinforcing strip is on, tack the outside handle strip into place again using stick pins and stitch the two end sections directly over where you installed the backing strip.

messiahbaghandles13.jpg

messiahbaghandles14.jpg

And that is it. You are done and now have end handles!

This entire project can be done at home by simply hand sewing or using a stitching awl but I'd recommend contacting a local hockey repair shop and having them stitch the handles in for you. It doesn't take long or cost much. The trick is having a local shop that still repairs equipment... :ohmy: I never thought for a moment that would be the hardest part of this whole project when I started into it.

Game #16, #17, #18 and #19

Still loving this bag! :happy: Only even more so now with the end handles. Boy you really don't realize how much you miss something until you don't have it any longer. Then when you get it back it is appreciated ever so much more. Yes I'm still talking about having end handles. It is sooo much easier to move this bag around. Even something as simple as lifting the bag up off the floor. Grab the end handle, lift, grab the retractable handle and away you go. OK, you get it. I'm very happy with the way this mod worked out...finally. Can't wait to see Warriors new version of this bag with factory handles.

Otherwise... I've still experienced no problems with the bag. Which is already a great relief. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt a CCM Gatekeeper bag would already require a new pull handle by this point. While we haven't hit the real nasty weather yet I can only say I'm pretty stoked about this bag so far. It's held up very well, holds everything I throw in it, looks awesome and still draws comments from people whenever I walk into the arena or dressing room. Might still be a little early to say but... quite possibly the BEST wheeled goalie bag currently on the market at any price.

That's about it. Nothing else new to report yet... but I'll update you should anything change. :wink:

Game #20, #21, #22, #23, #24 and #25 ... :happy:

Well they say "no news is good news", and I have no news. The Messiah bag is still happily trucking along all my gear to and from the rink without anything new to report. The only change of note is; I'm back to pre NHL spec gear. (That was just an awful experience that didn't last too long thank god!) I knew immediately my new "old spec" gear was "just the right size" when I had a hard time closing the zipper after I packed everything into the bag to head off to the rink for the first time. Guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Game #26, #27 and #28.

Well as I mentioned before, sometimes MissConduct and I fit an extra "special" little game into our already busy schedule every now and again. This week it was the Annual BBFA game. This game is a memorial for a good friend of ours that lost his battle with cancer and also a bit of a fundraiser for his son. Each year all of Brian's friends from all the various groups he played in over the years get together and play a friendly but competitive game in his honour. My cousin (and mentor) Walt plays net at one end and I man the other. So I had an opportunity to share my Warrior Messiah experience with cuz'n Walt and a whole new room of admirers. I have to say again, this bag really draws attention. Hardly a single person noticed I had new pads...everyone commented on the bag... :ohmy:

AND... I think I figured out why Warrior manufactured this bag with a gap between the bottom reinforcing rails and the wheel housings. You may recall I was concerned about wheel fatigue and collapse in this area. It hasn't happened... But, the arena we played at has a long stairway leading down to the dressing rooms and ice surfaces. I noticed that the steel reinforcing strips put into the base of the bag in this area acted a bit like "shock abosorbers" as I wheeled the bad down to the ice level. I don't know why it never occured to me before but I believe that this may be why the bag also has such a smooth rolling feeling. Whether it was intentional or not. It really is kewl. Good Job Warrior Hockey! :cool:

And for Brian... You may be gone but surely are not forgotten! Cheers!

bbfa2010.jpg

Game #29, #30 and #31,

Well it finally happened. I experienced my first failure on the Messiah bag. I was getting all set to go to the arena Saturday night. Had everything loaded into the bag and went to close the zippers when.... the little material strip that extends from one zipper to the other came off in my hand. :sad:

messiahbag17.jpg

Nothing major. It just appears the stitching let go. I'll get it sewn back up and have it working in no time. Otherwise, everything is still rolling along just fine... :wink:

Game #32, #33, #34, #35, #36, #37 and #38...

After a little computer glitch (aka catastrophic hard drive failure) I'm ba'ack. :happy:

And...we have an update! As lawgoalie pointed out in his review, he was concerned about the durability of the full length breathable mesh material that runs down either side of the top of the bag. Apparently rightly so! The mesh on one side of my bag has started separating. It has about a 3" rip on one side and is wearing threadbare on the other.

messiahbag18.jpg

Again, it's nothing that can't be quickly repaired but it is worth noting. Otherwise everthing else is status quo so far. The bag is working well and I'm still very pleased with it. Can't believe the handle is still intact... :smile:

Game #39, #40 and #41

Experienced an unexpected zipper pull failure. :ohmy:

messiahbag19.jpg

messiahbag20.jpg

I was getting ready to head out to hockey, had all my gear packed, simply went to close the bag and suddenly found the zipper pull in my hand. Which brings up another good tip... If you ever break a zipper pull on your hockey bag, key fobs or even simply key rings make a good solid, cheap and easy replacement. :wink:

Game #39, #40 and #41

Experienced an unexpected zipper pull failure. :ohmy:

messiahbag19.jpg

messiahbag20.jpg

I was getting ready to head out to hockey, had all my gear packed, simply went to close the bag and suddenly found the zipper pull in my hand. Which brings up another good tip... If you ever break a zipper pull on your hockey bag, key fobs or even simply key rings make a good solid, cheap and easy replacement. :wink:

Good tip.

New bag delivery today at MSH skate.

Game #42 and Game #43 MSH Winterfest VI!

Ok, nothing new to report. Again, still happily "rolling along". BUT, I do have an exlusive MSH sneak preview... The 2011 Warrior Messiah goalie bag!

messiahbag2011-1.jpg

messiahbag2011-2.jpg

messiahbag2011-3.jpg

messiahbag2011-4.jpg

Changes on the new bag;

1) there is a third centre wheel to prevent sag. :)

2) there are factory installed end handles!!! :)

3) the bottom support rails connect right to the wheel base. :)

4) an entirely new graphics package :)

and 5) though I don't know why this one happened, the internal steel support strips are no longer there. :(

(* I realize the extra support strips may have seemed redundant in light of the 3 fully extended "curb hoppers" now included but I'd have liked to have seen them remain. We all know how those plastic curb strips sometimes fail after extended periods of use... just sayin'.)

Thats a solid 4/5 smiley ranking... Great job on the new bag Warrior Hockey! Once the long term review on the 2010 bag reaches it's completion we'll have to start the 2011 bag long term review.

As a side note and I haven't confirmed whether or not this is based in fact, the bag dimensions may have also changed. The manufacturer tag on the bag indicates that the measurements are 42" x 20" x 18.5" vs the old 40" x 20" x 20". I'll load up my gear in the new one tonight and give it a one time trial and see if everything loads the same before I go back to the 2010 bag on Friday night.

messiahbag2011-5.jpg

Games #43 - #50

Not much new to report so I haven't in a while... Figured I'd better do an update to let y'all know this review is still going on.

First off... the messy weather has started but it hasn't created any problems. I've been rolling the bag though the coldest of cold and sloppy slushy parking lots without any hitches. Everything else remains status quo. No more rips or breaks and (surprisingly) the handle is still in tact. :happy: Still quite pleased with the 2010 bag so far.

Now as promised, I did take the 2011 bag for a "one time" spin just to compare. I have to say that I really wasn't at all impressed with it. I know I should have been stoked to see that the end handles were included and the third wheel was added but the changes that weren't requested or warranted really put a damper on my excitement for this bag. First and foremost... it's smaller! :huh: I have no idea what the thinking was on this. The 2010 bag is an immensely tight fit already. Quite simply, making the bag even narrower also made it impossible to pack adult gear in it. Before I even got out the door I was noticing problems. Putting an adult sized set of gear in this bag causes the bag to bulge noticeably at the sides and prevents the gear from settling into the ends.

messiahbag2011-1.jpg

messiahbag2011-2.jpg

Not having the gear settled into the end of the bag created an air gap in the end of the bag and the strain from the weight of the gear caused the curb hoppers to bend considerably. I'm pretty sure that without the metal reinforcing strips that the 2010 bag had these plastic curb hopper strips are simply going to break in no time flat.

messiahbag2011-3.jpg

By the time I returned home from the one night trial I had already managed to put about a 6 inch rip into the mesh breathing strip on the top of the bag. It just simply couldn't resist the strain from having the gear packed inside of it and let go.

I did message Keith from Warrior Hockey about what I experienced. (and actually to confirm this was the adult bag and not a kids bag that I might have received in error... :blink: ) Hopefully being preproduction we'll see some changes go into the final product before it hits the market.

Basically it MUST be larger, it needs more support in the base and I'd actually like to see them go back to the original style wheels, just three of them. The three original style wheel set up might not be possible with the full length curb hopper strips though and given a choice I'd rather go back to two wheels over the way it is now.

Game #51 thru #69

Yep... we're still doing this. Haven't had much to report lately. The bag is holding up respectably. Dicing through the slush, snow and ice. No real problems to report. Since the start of the new year all that has occured is some cosmetic wear on the bottom/side of the bag from being stood upright in parking lots/arena lobbies/change rooms etc... just surface wear and some salt staining.

messiahbag21.jpg

The only other problem of note is the threads are pulling out in the velcro strapping used to hold the shoulder/carry straps together. Simple stitch repair, no ripping...

messiahbag22.jpg

And that's about it. Haven't had any problems wheeling the bag around through the winter parking lot conditions. The big wheels roll easily through almost anything. The handle still remains intact and still retracts and extends without any problems. Overall it's still holding up remarkably well.

As for the 2011 version of the bag. Obviously my gear simply did not fit in it at all. I've given the new bag to my goaltending partner on Saturdays and Mondays. He uses some older model smaller gear and is able to fit his stuff into it so we're giving that bag a workout as well now. He's patched up the original 6 inch tear in the breathable mesh at the top of the bag and hasn't had any problems with it since.