Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Hooah4

Mission Intake EPP

Mission Intake EPP

Cage:Itech Fantom

Time Used: 3 years

Previous helmets used: Nike 0004, Jofa 690

I'd been on the hunt for ther perfect helmet for my head for some time. Spent some time comparing price and features, etc.. the Intake was the talk of MSH @ the time so I figured it was worth a try. Went on Ebay and ended up getting one with cage for $60.

Fit: Fit is wider than the NB helmets and more similar to Jofa helmets IMO. Sits a bit higher on the head due the the EPP and ventilation system. Gel pads on the EPP were great for the first 2 years but started slipping around and coming loose in year 3. A little liquid nails fixed that easily. Bottom line for me -comfy and cool for my head. Ventilation is great all around this lid. 10/10

Protection: I've taken my share of unintentional hits(usually more dangerous) with this helmet as we're a no check league. Great all around. I feel safe and secure when on the ice which is my primary concern. 10/10

Durablility: As others have said the outside shell and EPP have not been an issue since purchase. the adhesive on the gel pads will loosed up with excessive heat so be sure to check them. If you feel someting pulling your hair as you take the helmet off check then right away. A little liquid nails worked great(thanks JR!) to anchor them in place and extended the life of the helmet. 8/10

Price: I got this for a steal on Ebay for $60 (with cage!). Retail was $99 which is also stellar for the features included. 10/10

Intangibles: I really can't complain except for the gel pads sliding around after 2 years of use. I have not had any rust problems with screws like other posters have had. It is cooler than other helmets but not crazy cool like the ads led you to believe. I don't want to worry about my helmet or sweat dripping in my eyes during play. I do notice the sweat on the bench but you have EPP which IMO makes you hotter so hopefully the vents do their job during play. does the "dynamo" liner help evaporate more sweat? If it does it's not as dynamic as we're led to believe. 9/10

Overall conclusion: A great helmet at a great price. If it fits your head you won't be disappointed. this product has been discontinued due the Bauer/Mission merger and I'm sad to see it go. I recently purchased a VN pro stock model for coaching and the fit is very similar. I hope to stock up on another one before they're all gone.