Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krev

Movember

Well, it's almost that time of the year guys. I'll be rockin the moustache, as silly as I may look with it. Turns out that colon cancer runs in my family, so I'm in for the long haul.

For those that don't know, Movember challenges men to change their appearance and the face of men’s health by growing a moustache. The rules are simple, start Movember 1st clean-shaven and then grow a moustache for the entire month. The moustache becomes the ribbon for men’s health, the means by which awareness and funds are raised for cancers that affect men. Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, the men of Movember commit to growing a moustache for 30 days.

The website is here: http://us.movember.com/?home

Remember, every little donation helps and every single moustache raises eyebrows as well as awareness.

For those that aren't fans of the mustache, there's also No Shave November which you can participate in as well to prove your manliness.

I'm doing it with a week head-start. I don't know how long I'll be able to take it haha. I despise facial hair for the most part.

I'm doing it with a week head-start. I don't know how long I'll be able to take it haha. I despise facial hair for the most part.

I wanted to just trim my goatee down to a mustache...but the guys at work said we all had to start clean on Nov 1. I am going to Cuba later this month...and I am paranoid about looking too different than my passport picture...so I will probably be growing in the goatee in a couple weeks...then I'll shave it back down to end the month when I get back.

Cuba? I'm jealous.

Five years or less and you will be able to go there without being locked up for it.

5 or 6 years ago, my buddy started doing this before it really took off. He always grew the handle bar and we made fun of him for it. He moved to the states and began working for the Scrips Institue trying to find a cure for cancer. He always encouraged us to do it, 'Guys I'm doing my part to cure cancer, you can do yours' and last year about 20 of us went the full monty and grew a stash as well, mainly for the awareness factor of it. A month later, upon leaving the lab, late one night his car was crushed by another driven by a drunk driver and he burnt to death. This year everyone who knew him and the people who know this story have joined in for Movember, with about 300 people participating.

Obviously this time of year brings back a whole lot of memories of Jared, but I'm sure the amount of recognition and support for a movement he supported so much would make him smile.

If you still haven't got the stash up and running it's not too late. Just by growing something and therefore raising awareness of the cause you are doing more than you realize... :smile:

For those that aren't fans of the mustache, there's also No Shave November which you can participate in as well to prove your manliness.

I wish I could let my 'mustache' grow but that wouldn't look manly at all ahahah

I just finished a 36-hr shift and have mine well in place. I'll keep the same wish I have ever November, that it can reach a length I can get a Rollie Fingers going.

haha That would be great. I've never done Movember. Just have done no shave with the beard. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I'd love to have a legitimate handle bar stash, but I've heard that usually takes at least 6weeks to have it look right.

I am doing it this year too. http://mobro.co/lewishorniii

I shaved my beard for the first time since fall of '05. The first day felt really weird, and the razor burn reminded me why I grew a beard in the first place.

I got a little interoffice stache competetiong going on, it's only 3 guys but still kind of fun. Next year I want to plan early and maybe see if I can work out something hockey related as a Movember fund raiser. Like a marathon game or something. There are 2 friends or friends who have experice with organizing, I might pitch the idea to.

Same problem here. If the mo doesn't fill in soon, I'm gonna have to order some dimoxinil.

My teammate cheated and shaved his goatee into a stache instead of starting clean on Movember 1st. I shamed him but he's obviously got me beat at the end of week 1.

I did this last year, as there was a ton of buzz about it. Just about everyone I knew was doing it. This year, almost nobody I know.

I'll still donate, but I won't be participating.

Mine is coming nicely (well kind of haha). I am part of a team on the Movember site and so far we have managed to raise a little money for the charities. There is still time left.

Sorry to bump the thread, but I felt that it was quite applicable. Surprise birthday brownie-cake for me last night. (giant mustache if you couldn't tell)

EFD0FCFD-6315-4AB5-98AD-B40BD9A84C86-321