Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fro_ride

Gionta Pattern

Used the Warrior Widow with this curve during MSH IV, gotta say I'm definitely gonna buy it with that curve when they come out

I have had one for a few months now (pre-ordered a 110-flex). I came from Sakic's and have really liked the pattern so far. Some of my shots with the Sakic were high, so I was looking for a mid-toe curve that was more closed - and with a lower lie. Saw the Gionta offering in rachel7's LTR an it looked good so I ordered one up.

I still can go high when I want, but the pattern has kept shots a little lower for my personal technique. I really have not found a huge flaw for my personal style. I simply changed were I strike the puck on slap shots and one timers and they still do fine (strike closer to the heel than I did with the Sakic).

It's cus of the flatter/bigger sweetspot.

To each their own right? No doubt people can shoot great with that curve. However I just think the more you play and learn from watching the pros (esp live), the more you realize why 75% of the NHLers uses an yzerman clone or it's variation.

I just got one of these off of ebay with a 75 flex and LH GIonta curve. Unfortunately, when I brought it home and opened the big box it was in, the friggin blade was busted and barely hanging on the fuse point. However I did get a refund and got to keep the shaft, so I guess I can put a tapered blade in it with a toe curve. But still I wanted to see what a toe curve with a little less loft than an Ovi curve is like, in a one piece stick.

It's cus of the flatter/bigger sweetspot.

To each their own right? No doubt people can shoot great with that curve. However I just think the more you play and learn from watching the pros (esp live), the more you realize why 75% of the NHLers uses an yzerman clone or it's variation.

I hope you mean Yzerman as in YP and not the retail but even then it can't be close to that percentage.

has anyone else noticed the massive discrepancy between the right handed version and the left handed version (not just the gionta pattern but all warrior sticks this year). I was at Pro hockey life yesterday checking out the gionta stick cause Ive been looking for a good toe curve stick. I am a left hand shot and on the left handed patterns it was barely a toe curve. It was very small and would barely pass the definition of a toe curve, so I checked out some right handed giontas and it was beautiful! great toe curve, with a solid 3/4 depth. But the left handed version was pittiful. It wasnt just on the one stick I looked at, I checked out 4 or 5 left handed gionta's all the same story, terrible curve, I even checked out just the blades, same deal. Anyone know why there is such a difference from left to right?

I was lucky enough to be able to take the curve for a test drive on the Widow at Winterfest and also really love it. I'm currently using the Smyth curve and the Gionta has the same lie, but curves more at the Toe than the Smyth. That provides a bigger sweet spot and there's more flat blade to make backhands easier. I still enjoy the Smyth, but I'm not mourning it's demise as much now that the Gionta is available. It's an ideal curve for me - toe, closed, rounded toe, low lie. If I ever had a custom blade made up I think it'd resemble the retail Gionta...I truly hope it succeeds at retail and is around for many years.

I hope you mean Yzerman as in YP and not the retail but even then it can't be close to that percentage.

at every single pro sale, and in LHS prostock/return sticks, all you ever see is varied yp. Seldom do you see a havlat pro or Schaefer toe wedge. I can only guesstimate the 75.

at every single pro sale, and in LHS prostock/return sticks, all you ever see is varied yp. Seldom do you see a havlat pro or Schaefer toe wedge. I can only guesstimate the 75.

Most prostock sticks that I see have drury or p91a clones on them. Second in line are the Sakic clones, then some custom toes, some iginla clones and then pm9 clones. It all depends on what helps the player get the job done the easiest. Many players would rather use a wedge that lets them shoot more effortlessly than, lets say, a pm9 clone.

I hope they come out with this curve in a 5 lie, which would be a 6 in most other brands, the 4 is a bit too low for my liking.

what's the actual lie of the blade? I think it's marked as 4 on the blade itself, meaning it's really a 5 in Easton/Bauer terms?

TBLFan let me try his 85 flex Gionta- Snap shots are just plain fun with this stick. They come ripping off that blade with very little effort. Very fun curve with a quick release.

I have to agree with a previous poster in the thread with regards to how much toe curve this pattern has for lefty's. Even though the blade was broken off at the fuse point by USPS/Canada Post I was almost relieved because not only did the quality of the blade look poor, the curve was worse. I had seen a Gionta pattern on a vandal the day before and it looked better. Also the pics that TBLfan posted of the righty pattern looked way better, but that is just my perception. Hard to say if there is a difference. I will most likely stick to a Hossa pro or Ovi pro.

what's the actual lie of the blade? I think it's marked as 4 on the blade itself, meaning it's really a 5 in Easton/Bauer terms?

There is no real way to guess... Many others (including either JR or TBLFan) have said its equal to an Easton 5, but I have never owned an Easton Lie 5, so I cannot comment...

I also wish it had a slightly lower lie - or more rocker. I like my Vanek and Draper L4 blades a little better sometimes since they are low lies and have a bit of rocker.