Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fro_ride

Gionta Pattern

Lucky for me I switched to Drury this year, otherwise I'd be all over one of those Gionta Dolos. I do hope they keep it going at retail, great to have options.

I said earlier that the left handed Gionta pattern and the right handed pattern differ. I went to Pro Hockey Life today and got some photo evidence.

The first one is a bit blurry, but you can clearly tell that the right handed version is a bigger curve. I lined both blades up perfectly and you can see that the right handed blades curve starts earlier, than on the left handed version, making the left handed version smaller and crap imo. which sucks for me. I know to most of you this may be an insignificant difference, but to me it makes a big enough difference to not want the left handed version.

2010-12-22_15-14-17_586_Whitby.jpg

2010-12-22_15-14-39_768_Whitby.jpg

As a right hander they look exactly the same in my eyes.

One thing i've always noticed when looking at left hand curves is they always look WAY bigger then righties, i don't know if they actually are but all lefty pro stocks seem to have way more of a hook on the average. It might of just been a discrepency in the curve because i noticed differences between the Dolo (toe kink) and Vandal (mild) in righties, so maybe that batch of lefties was a bit more mild in your eyes.

Probably has something to do with dominant right eye for many, so looking at a left stick is always strange. I find the same issue when looking at golf clubs. I cant even figure out how to line up a left handed club to the target.

Also, I just went Gionta coming from a Sakic. Only have one pickup session under my belt but really like the Gionta so far. I mainly like to take quick wristers and snappers and mostly shoot high. The Gionta being just a little more closed has helped to keep the puck down and the toe is perfect for quick snappers. I only flubbed a couple of shots at first but got used to the toe pretty quickly.

What kind of difference would I notice coming from a PM9? I just broke one of my One95s and I'm now in the market for a new stick. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of difference would I notice coming from a PM9? I just broke one of my One95s and I'm now in the market for a new stick. Any help would be appreciated.

Fairly drastic. I can play with nearly any pattern (provided it has a low lie)... I find that the Gionta and Savard play opposite in terms of shooting the puck...

Slappers on the Gionta are taken towards the heel/mid part of the blade. Slappers on the Savard are more towards the middle or mid-toe (optimal sweet spot).

Wristers on the Gionta can be loaded quickly and flung off the toe. The Savard requires me to load the puck towards the heel. My personal technique prefers the off-the-toe technique so my wristers with the Savard tend to be lower than desired and slightly lower velocity when trying to go high.

Personal technique will always be different...

sid I think it's just your eye. Left handed curves always look bigger to me. You could take a pic of the left handed curve and flip it and compare it to the right handed one if you really wanted

your probably right...I dunno still looks funny to me though.

hmm, i guess maybe its just me. But to me the left handed model doesnt look the same/as good

I think you can expect the same thing with the Kynetyk blades, especially since they couldn't clone from a right hand pro stock curve.

Hey guys I have used my 2011 Warrior Dolomite DD Gionta curve for about a month now. Coming from a P92 in Bauer, or Sakic in Easton I seem to not be shooting as hard. Lots of my shots are fluttering a bit and i'm not getting the same power I would get with the P92. I'm just wondering why is this? I've tried adjusting my shot technique slightly but I can't seem to figure it out. Do you guys have any recommendations to me? I'm shooting with better control I find, the closed curve helps me keep my shots down unlike the P92.

Can't say I noticed any difference. Had the chance to try out my S19 Sakic and the '11 Dolo DD with a radar gun a few weeks back. Shots had about the same speed on them...

Are you using the same flex as with your P92 stick?

Anybody have a p14 to compare it to? From the pics of IW they look pretty close.

I have owned both curves and the p14 is a lot more mid than the gionta. The 14 is more like a closed Sakic with a shorter blade than comparable to the gionta.

Anybody have a p14 to compare it to? From the pics of IW they look pretty close.

I would agree with skyscrape - the patterns are totally different.

I compared the Gionta and the P14 side-by-side when trying to make a decision on which to go with (One100 P14 or '11 DD Gionta). The P14 is much more of a mid curve than a toe. As skyscrape said - it is like a less open Sakic-style pattern.

The P14 also has a lot of rocker built into it. Most of any common pattern I could think of off hand. The Gionta is more of a mild-to-medium rocker at most...

The P14 is fairly unique. I would think transitioning from a Sakic to a P14 would be easier than going from a Sakic to a Gionta.

Can't say I noticed any difference. Had the chance to try out my S19 Sakic and the '11 Dolo DD with a radar gun a few weeks back. Shots had about the same speed on them...

Are you using the same flex as with your P92 stick?

No the flex on this warrior is slightly stiffer than my one 95/x60 at a 85 flex compared to a 77 flex. I was using my Warrior again tonight, and was getting more into my shots. I was using the toe a lot more for my wrist shots-i'm not sure if it did but the puck seemed to be more smooth sailing.

For wristers with the Gionta, you really have to let the puck roll out to the toe and release it from there. It has to whip off the toe to really get the speed. The middle of the blade is flatter and you'll only launch flutterballs from there.