Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fro_ride

Gionta Pattern

saw the gionta in person the other day at the hockey experts in sport chek... imo, looks identical to the smyth.

the only way for people who like intermediate sticks and want to try the gionta pattern is to go the 2 piece route

Well, I bought the Gionta in a standard curve replacement blade, when I'd really wanted a tapered. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any tapered. I was told by my LHS (Peranis, for what it's worth) that they didn't yet offer the Gionta in anything other than a standard tenon.

Thus.... if they want an intermediate stick, I presume they would require an intermediate replacement blade. If what I was told is true, it may not exist in an intermediate stock yet.

I just picked up the Gionta to pair up with my 100 flex AK-27 shaft. I used it in for one skate, and the monster toe curve took a bit of getting used to. You definately half to "roll" your shot off, but it has some punch that's for sure. No problems passing or going to the backhand.

Hey guys I have used my 2011 Warrior Dolomite DD Gionta curve for about a month now. Coming from a P92 in Bauer, or Sakic in Easton I seem to not be shooting as hard. Lots of my shots are fluttering a bit and i'm not getting the same power I would get with the P92. I'm just wondering why is this? I've tried adjusting my shot technique slightly but I can't seem to figure it out. Do you guys have any recommendations to me? I'm shooting with better control I find, the closed curve helps me keep my shots down unlike the P92.

With toe type curves it's really important to follow through on everything so that #1 goes where you want it too, and #2 goes off the toe. I think your getting that fluttering action because your toeing up the puck to much before you shoot, you want the puck to roll from the middle of the blade off the toe for hard flat shots.

I've used the gio curve for a bunch of ice times now after using mostly Ovy clones and some lesser open hooks. It's a bit more tame, not as fun to use as an ovy clone. For someone whose shooting motion goes well with a toe curve its a great pattern.

Thus.... if they want an intermediate stick, I presume they would require an intermediate replacement blade. If what I was told is true, it may not exist in an intermediate stock yet.

Intermediate tapered shafts = sr tapered blades

Intermediate standard shaft = sr standard blades

For wristers with the Gionta, you really have to let the puck roll out to the toe and release it from there. It has to whip off the toe to really get the speed. The middle of the blade is flatter and you'll only launch flutterballs from there.

I think that was my problem. Thanks for the advice.

So I'm still using my Gionta curve and still liking it a lot. But I'm starting to think I might want a bit more loft. So what's out there and fairly readily available (not some super-rare pro-stock) that is similar to the Gionta but with a slightly open face?

So I'm still using my Gionta curve and still liking it a lot. But I'm starting to think I might want a bit more loft. So what's out there and fairly readily available (not some super-rare pro-stock) that is similar to the Gionta but with a slightly open face?

Base BC01

Yeah that Hossa Pro would be the best fit. I found when I went from closed mid curves to open mid or heels that I changed my shooting style to be more of a load and snap rather than flinging, and that increased my shot power and accuracy (and goal scoring) quite a bit. Have you tried a Sakic?

I don't think the Harrow #4 would be that close, it's a pretty flat curve, like a longer Iginla.

I've seen the pattern in real life and pics but I don't remember - is the curve closed throughout the whole blade or is it closed then opens up slightly at the toe?

It's pretty closed the whole way. Makes it great for hard sauce and full wind-up wristers, but I'm finding that a lot of times when I'm trying to clear up off glass in a pressure situation, that I'm not getting the elevation I would like. I can throw anywhere I want with it when I have time for a proper windup; but for a quick flick, I'm seeing too many land low and get picked off at the blue line. I'm thinking about the Hossa - I had a pro-stock one that was a lot of fun, but his flex is way beyond me. So maybe the base blade in a Warrior shaft or something like that might work. I haven't tried a Sakic, but I will definitely spend some time staring at one next time I'm at the LHS. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's pretty closed the whole way. Makes it great for hard sauce and full wind-up wristers, but I'm finding that a lot of times when I'm trying to clear up off glass in a pressure situation, that I'm not getting the elevation I would like. I can throw anywhere I want with it when I have time for a proper windup; but for a quick flick, I'm seeing too many land low and get picked off at the blue line. I'm thinking about the Hossa - I had a pro-stock one that was a lot of fun, but his flex is way beyond me. So maybe the base blade in a Warrior shaft or something like that might work. I haven't tried a Sakic, but I will definitely spend some time staring at one next time I'm at the LHS. Thanks for the suggestion!

They're the Bauer p14 too. I've never used it but I know it's more mid but it looks like it opens up a bit at the toe. It does have a square toe too so I'm not sure how that'll work out. It's just another suggestion.

How does the Gionta pattern compare to the old Smyth pattern? or is the Kovalchuk (2011) similar to the Smyth now?

The replacement blade was great...for the 3 ice times it lasted. Good thing Warrior doesn't warranty blades.

The replacement blade was great...for the 3 ice times it lasted. Good thing Warrior doesn't warranty blades.

Yeah, I had a old Robitialle blade and it had this massive crack in after a couple of uses. But on the other hand I have had a Kornik for 2 years and it hasn't broke yet. (knock on wood!)

warrior08kroniksmythcur.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't think this pic does the Smyth Curve justice, but it looks quite different. I know a manufacturer's can't make the same curve the same way every time. This curve reminds me of the Easton Chara, or at least what I have seen of it.

Hi all,

I just bought the new Warrior Dolo with Gionta curve. So far, I'm really happy with the stick. It feels great.

I've never used a toe curve before, so I'm struggling a bit with adjusting my shots & passes.

Couple questions:

• how do you take wrist shots with the toe curve? I seem to have more consistency when having the puck start on the middle of blade, then whipping it off the toe. but my accuracy is really not there.
  • do you have any tips on passing with this curve? my passes are kind of all over the place with this thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

When I use toe curves, I "pick and fling" the puck. I start with it cupped at the toe and essentially throw it at the target. As for passing, that is usually more of a heel-mid thing for me and I try to keep it from getting to the hook at the toe.

slightly disappointed with this curve. Was using a p14 and decided to buy a 2011 dolo with the gionta pattern because I'm a shorter guy and thought the lie 4 would help me out. Compared it to the bauer p14 (lie 6) and they're almost exactly the same lie, not cool!

slightly disappointed with this curve. Was using a p14 and decided to buy a 2011 dolo with the gionta pattern because I'm a shorter guy and thought the lie 4 would help me out. Compared it to the bauer p14 (lie 6) and they're almost exactly the same lie, not cool!

I think the rocker is throwing things off... The Warrior Gionta does not have a lot of rocker.. the Bauer P14 does... Also remember that Warrior measures their lies differently. A Warrior L4 with little/average rocker will certainly not equal a "true" lie 4.

I saw a widow display that said that the gionta curve would be a warrior lie 5. any one else seen or heard anything about this.

Total and IW list it as a 4.