Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trevor13478

HBO 24/7 Road to the NHL Winter Classic

I'm really looking forward to the conclusion to this years 24/7, seems like it'll be a very interesting episode as if they weren't interesting already. I'm really looking forward to seeing more about Staal coming back and Bryzgalov being told he's not getting the start. Not to mention the actual winter classic, should make for a great show. :popcorn:

Universe. Don't worry, be happy.

I'll be disappointed if I don't hear this any time Bryzgalov is shown being interviewed.

Sup guys. I think this would deserve it's own thread but i'll let the mods decide. One of the best hockey videos has been catching on since it was posted last week, and i have to share. Literally had tears dropping near the end and had a hard time explaining how that was coming from a hockey video to my foreigner roomates (they are swiss, austrian, german and of course breathe soccer. Trying to convert them to hockey haha...) Anyways, very well done vid:

As for the HBO series, i just watched both this year's and last year's series, almost back to back, and i must say i much prefer this year's edition. The narration and music is better and last year is more geared towards the games and coaches struggles while this year is more character driven, showing more of the guy's personnalities, families, parties, etc. which gets to me more. That's just my opinion, many seem to like Caps/Pens better, maybe because it was a fresh idea back then, but that wasn't my case after watching them all in less than a week.

I think everyone in this thread has said the complete opposite.

As for the HBO series, i just watched both this year's and last year's series, almost back to back, and i must say i much prefer this year's edition. The narration and music is better and last year is more geared towards the games and coaches struggles while this year is more character driven, showing more of the guy's personnalities, families, parties, etc. which gets to me more. That's just my opinion, many seem to like Caps/Pens better, maybe because it was a fresh idea back then, but that wasn't my case after watching them all in less than a week.

I think everyone in this thread has said the complete opposite.

Yes, i've read the thread and am aware of that. What should i understand from this comment?

Claude Giroux without a doubt the star of this episode. Here's the ending for those who want it on YouTube.

"Never get caught telling a hockey player it's just a game. Never get caught trying to explain to him all the things in the world that matter so much more. His mind might well acknowledge the truth to your point. His soul will be powerless to accept it, considering the immensity of what he gives to the sport, the immeasurability to what it offers in return. Nothing ever feels as perfect as a moment of flawlessness on the ice. No bond is strong as one that compels brothers to bleed for one another. Not many leaders are this versed in the craft of motivation. Not many pursuits can evoke such visions of brilliance. This is why it hurts so much when skill falls short of what the will desires. This is why it's so unforgettable when absolute passion yields ultimate award. And that's all still just the start of what the game can do. The stakes rise as their season continues from here. While you watch from a distance, remember what was validated up close. Hockey may in fact be just a game. But it's also who they are."

I can't find two or three online anymore. Too bad, I was enjoying it. Would get HBO, but this is the only thing I would be watching and at their price, no.

pm me if you'd like to download all of them via torrents.

Claude Giroux without a doubt the star of this episode. Here's the ending for those who want it on YouTube.

"Never get caught telling a hockey player it's just a game. Never get caught trying to explain to him all the things in the world that matter so much more. His mind might well acknowledge the truth to your point. His soul will be powerless to accept it, considering the immensity of what he gives to the sport, the immeasurability to what it offers in return. Nothing ever feels as perfect as a moment of flawlessness on the ice. No bond is strong as one that compels brothers to bleed for one another. Not many leaders are this versed in the craft of motivation. Not many pursuits can evoke such visions of brilliance. This is why it hurts so much when skill falls short of what the will desires. This is why it's so unforgettable when absolute passion yields ultimate award. And that's all still just the start of what the game can do. The stakes rise as their season continues from here. While you watch from a distance, remember what was validated up close. Hockey may in fact be just a game. But it's also who they are."

My Wife just started shaking her head at me when we were whatching the ending. :laugh:

Briere's penalty shot was done great with the music. The ending was perfect with the quote and close up on the players and coaches especially torts and jagr. It would be really disappointing if this didn't return next year.

That is the perfect ending. Even if many people thought this series wasn't as good as the last, the ending definitely makes up for a lot.

Some thoughts...(some random...some more developed) ** SOME SPOLIERS included**

I'm glad we got to see more character than characters this year. Thankfully Avery has a small role (and by the end non existent) on the Rangers or I fear he might have dominated the show...there was very little on him...which is good. Can you imagine if there had been a major Avery Incident while HBO was on hand...could have been a sideshow.

Gabby's rant(s) last year were great...but I enjoyed watching Bylsma more. The way he interacted with his team was awesome. The way he called out the starting lineup and that whole routine the Pens had...anyone can stand in a room and yell, we've all seen/done or had that done to us...but watching the coaching process was so good. I think that's what they tried for this year. Less shock value and more of the actual coaching process/lifestyle. Lav and Torts were great. Both screaming and yelling when needed...teaching/counselling when needed, instead of showing the ranter (Boudreau) and the teacher (Bylsma) in separately.

The contrast of Lav's positive speech after they got beat by Boston "...It's gonna happen, let it burn and come in tomorrow pissed off..." to the First Int after they lay an egg the next night..."...What the F**k was that...?" was amazing.

But, there are still great characters...Bryz was the early sensation...and as some have said, Grioux steals the show in Ep 4. His chirping on the ice was great. The Phlyers plotting payback after Rupp's goal salute... trying to decide who will fight who if a line brawl breaks out. When does a fan get to see that kind of on ice interaction. IMO, Talbot has the line of the series in Ep 4. Rupp talking to the kid from Philly "..I'd fight you, but you are irrelevant in this League". I also think it was hilarious that they made a point of showing Gaborik getting the tree...then he just walks down the street in Manhattan with...and we never see that mentioned again. I wanted to see him putting it up, to see if it is any less tedious for a pro athlete to string lights without huge gaping spaces...lol

If Detroit is in the WC next year....it will be an interesting show. A (seemingly) mild mannered Coach and a team of vets with TONS of character...but very few characters! It will be an interesting challenge for HBO to make them more interesting than they actually are...