Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sikocycles

Down low shoulder pads

No problem, it is always good to talk with fellow hockey players/designers. I am following you on Coroflot. Your thesis project turned out really well, it was hard to picture it from how you described it but as soon as I saw a picture it all made sense. I liked how you showed the process of testing out different prototypes making sure it really would work.

Be sure to stay in touch.

hey will do man, thanks again.

My only issues after wearing these since the beginning of the year is that they seem a little warm in the summer (the rink I play in does too though) and that there is some wear around the edges of the velcro panels and the padding underneath them is beginning to show through. I'd advise against moving and removing all the chest and back panels any more than necessary. But other than that, as far as protection goes, they definitely give me enough to play in a minimal contact, non-check men's league.

IMG_1301.jpg

Gr8erade thanks for the feedback, I made sure the new version of the pads had a stronger zig zag stitch to address that problem.

dlhstitch.jpg?t=1320252795

Gr8erade thanks for the feedback, I made sure the new version of the pads had a stronger zig zag stitch to address that problem.

That's good. Glad the feedback helped.

Is there a plan on adding rib protection to the under-arm portion of the shirt? That's probably the only thing that's preventing me from picking up a set. Too many times having a stickblade bounce off my ribs

Yeah, I played at Wentworth and those were a few of my teammates.

Do you play in the area?

My brother and I frequent QYA.... He's actually eyeing a pair of these soon.

Was able to find a pair in large, after finding out the downlow site it out of that size (I went through a store in NYC that still had a pair). I did get an email response that no new large pads will be available until October 2012. I do have to say, I really like the pads already after one use, I finally found a freaking pair that doesn't seem to catch with my elbow pads and allows me to get my arms up and away quickly without catching. I am 5'11" 210 with a big chest, and I think I'm going to size down to a medium when the new version comes out...

Hey guys, just wanted to give you all an update. A new version of the shoulder pads are in the works. I know some of you were saying you would like to see the pads at a lower price. I have just discounted the pads on the website to $99 while supplies last. The sizes that are still available are extra small, small, and extra large. The sizes do run big. I will keep you all posted with any other updates.

Thanks for all of your feedback and support so far!

Hey guys, just wanted to give you all an update. A new version of the shoulder pads are in the works. I know some of you were saying you would like to see the pads at a lower price. I have just discounted the pads on the website to $99 while supplies last. The sizes that are still available are extra small, small, and extra large. The sizes do run big. I will keep you all posted with any other updates.

Thanks for all of your feedback and support so far!

Great, looking forward to seeing your next design!

When I saw Daves post (two posts up) that they were being discounted, I decided to give them a shot. I wanted to originally, but the pricetag was just a bit high for me.

They arrived today!

E5T6fJ3.png

I'm 5'9. 245lbs so I had to get the XL, despite how short I am.

I plan to post a review once I've used them for a while, but for now I'll just give my initial thoughts.

First, I have to mention that I have a lot of problems with shoulder pads because they interfere with my pants. Again, because I'm a fatass, I need to wear pants that are XL, despite my height (though I think I'm going to try a L since the XL is actually fairly loose). That means that the hip protection is usually up on my ribcage because they are so big, I have to pull them so far up. Add to that the fact that I have to wear suspenders, as well as a pretty big size (L) shoulder pad. So the shoulder pads sit on top of my suspenders, and so they're almost choking me because they get pushed up so high (because the pants are up so high, the shoulders overlap onto the spine protection on the pants). Lots of fit issues all over the map because of my size.

So with the Down Low shoulder pads, I actually moved one of the back plates to the front (in the ab area) because the top of the pants covers that spot on my back. But now, my pants sit nicely on top of the shoulder pads, for the first time ever. Very comfortable.

The only issue I've run into is... where do I put the suspenders? I could wear them under the downlow shirt, but that is a bit awkward. I'm wearing youth suspenders (which have zero stretch, unlike the adult ones). I've found the best way is to just button up the front of the suspenders AFTER i put the pants and download shoulders on. Its actually not too hard to do up and undo the suspenders from the buttons on my pants. I might look into having the suspenders altered to have a plastic buckle that I can easily do up and undo, but for now this works.

Heres a photo (with brightness and contrast edited so you can actually see the suspenders).

e2rZFMR.png

(yes, I realize the shoulder caps are backwards - they weren't attached in the box and I just stuck them on quickly to try them on)

Will post a review after a few games!

I don't think I'll be wearing these again.

First, until I lose enough weight to not need suspenders anymore, they're pretty uncomfortable (the felt fine at home, but not so much while playing).

Second, OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO HOT. I felt sick by the end of the game just from how overheated I was.

Figured I'd update since my last message was negative.

When I tried them before, it was with nothing underneath. Now I actually wear my normal compression shirt, put my suspenders over that (just as I normally would before putting my shoulders on) and then the DownLow pads overtop of the suspenders. When I first got them I thought that would be awkward, but then it hit me... my jersey sits over my suspenders and pants, so whats the big deal to have a second layer also over top of them?

The compression shirt has kept me cooler, and now that I wear them over the suspenders they are super comfortable and don't ride up like normal shoulder pads would for me (due to how high I have to wear my pants). I've since sold all my other shoulder pads.

I really hope a new version comes out, as Dave mentioned earlier. I would hate it if there was no replacement for these things once they wear out! I would absolutely recommend them to anyone at this point.

Let me be more specific, those lacrosse pads are shaped far too much like hockey shoulders, which is why they don't fit me. I might as well just wear hockey shoulders.

If it's not a shirt, it's no good. For me, at least.