Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtcannon

BlackEdge runners

Does 'Pro' version of the BlackEdge runner fits just fine into LS2 holders? It's marketed for LS Pro holder, but the attachments look exactly the same so it should work in theory, but then with LS2 and LS Pro being almost identical what's the purpose of having 2 runners with such different profiles (toe/heel on the Pro version are huge!)...

Maybe for people that like the stock profile of the Pro steel?

Maybe for people that like the stock profile of the Pro steel?

The "Pro" Black Edges are LS2.1 length, the "Speed" Blackedges are LS2 length. Either will fit in any Lightspeed holder.

Got to use these tonight in a game tonight I love 'em! Glide was smoother, edge control was better and no nicks. They still look like I haven't even skated on them. Good stuff!

I found BlackEdge significantly harder to shape and sharpen compared to Bauer or Step. I tend towards slow-light passes, and it was between 3-5 times more passes. BE left a black streak on the cross grind, but nothing unusual on the finishing wheel. A large burr remained from shallow passes that usually leave a fine burr I can remove with my thumb. It took everything in me to not stone it, but the burr worked itself out slowly on the ice.

I've been using FBV for years and I've only skated BE a handful of times. When you first switch to flat-bottom, there's a little added to the end of the glide phase of skating. Switching to BlackEdge, I found the blades glide more freely right from the start. It feels like a slippery floor. All the bite and edging seemed normal.

Durability is good. Even a quality sharpening has fade, whether deep or shallow, conventional or FBV. One sharpen, roughly eight hours of ice, and they still feel fresh. Wear and nicks are very superficial, meaning no cross grind necessary.

Didn't notice anything in the weight change going from Fusion to BE. Weighed 272s out of the box:

Bauer LS2 - 118g

Bauer LS2.1 - 120g

Bauer LS2 Fusion - 90g

Step LS2 - 149g

BlackEdge - 127g

I jumped on to the bandwagon too and got BE installed

I can confirm that the glide feels much better - noticeable difference!

What I'm however puzzled about is how I managed to get a substantial nick on one of the blades after one practice where I wasn't even skating hard (coaching)?! :(

After all the stories I read here I thought the blades are indestructible or something...

The "Pro" Black Edges are LS2.1 length, the "Speed" Blackedges are LS2 length. Either will fit in any Lightspeed holder.

This is strange - I found the length between the Pro and the Speed identical, just the height of the blade and unusual heel/toe were different?

Have any other guys who work in Pro Shops see nicks in BE when people come in for a sharping? Was thinking about getting some BE's but little apprehensive about spending $130 after SolarWind post.

If it didn't have the ability to be nicked, it wouldn't have the ability to be sharpened.

It's not supposed to be bulletproof.

of course, but it's just strange that I got one after a practice where I can't even recall anything contacting with the blades (like other skates or the net or even the boards) while others seem to have reported great results after months of playing on them... maybe just a strange accident or something...

The BE Pro steel is just 2mm longer than the LS2, barely noticable and the extra length does nothing for perfomance, just like it really does nothing on the Bauer steel. The flatter rear on the pro's however, will give more power/speed in heel turns and more stability.

As for nicks, DLC's can nick but they are very durable. For example, just the clamp of a skate sharpening machine holder will scratch the side of a regular runner. Of the hundred or so of BE's I've sold and are re-sharpening regularly, I've only seen one small nick on one runner. They really are head and shoulders better than regular steel.

I have to ask, do you use skate guards, or do you just throw skates in bag with no guards on them? I've seen skaters carry their bag into the locker room and drop it on the floor. Then pull 2 unguarded skates out of the bag that were clanging together in the bag. Most abuse and damage happens off the ice.

If they made these with step steel underneth I would pull the trigger. I really like the height,quality and profile of my steps. I wish I could just get a pair of velocitys covered with this stuff.

Black edge recommends you crossgrind them to remove the coating on the bottom, but any finish wheel will remove this with a few swipes as well. No honing blackedges!

What do you guys mean by Crossgrinding?

i have a blackstone X02 and those Black edge runners interest me a lot. What will i need to do exactly? what is crossgrinding?

Didn't the old bauer vapors 8's or 10's come with tuuk steel with carbon? Are the black edge the same concept or something totally different ?

Fairly certain it's a very different coating. The coating on the old vapors was not super hard, "diamond-like" carbon like is on these runners.

Question for Prenny207 (or any other blackedge rep), Even if the official blackedge guide recommends crossgrinding before each and every sharpening, JR and a few others are saying in this thread that cross grinding the carbon coating is only needed before the first sharpening. And you sort of implied this was true in one of your previous comments. but can you confirm that this is the case? That only a one-time cross-grinding is needed. And if so, how come the guide says otherwise?

Also, are most LHS equipped with crossgrinding machines?

im really looking forward to an FBV + Blackedge combination!

Thanks.

Question for Prenny207 (or any other blackedge rep), Even if the official blackedge guide recommends crossgrinding before each and every sharpening, JR and a few others are saying in this thread that cross grinding the carbon coating is only needed before the first sharpening. And you sort of implied this was true in one of your previous comments. but can you confirm that this is the case? That only a one-time cross-grinding is needed. And if so, how come the guide says otherwise?

Also, are most LHS equipped with crossgrinding machines?

im really looking forward to an FBV + Blackedge combination!

Thanks.

Crossgrinding does not need to be done every sharpening. In fact, not for the first one either. The DLCoating needs to be removed on the bottom for the first sharpening, any finishing machine can remove it with a few passes.

Wow nice....skating on blackedges wont be as complicated as i thought after all.... :smile:

i still dont get why their official guide says different things though....

Wow nice....skating on blackedges wont be as complicated as i thought after all.... :smile:

i still dont get why their official guide says different things though....

No, not complicated at all. Crossgrinding takes off metal quick, that's prob why they recommended it.

Wish they made these in my size :-(

What size is that? I'll have to check but I think they make all adult sizes.

I have had mine for over two months and still skating on the original FBV sharpening. These are holding an edge, even though I know I am overdue for a touch up!

I probably have close to thirty or forty hours on them. My last steel was Step Steel regular, not the velocity. These BlackEdge have nice bite and glide, the noticeable difference over the Step is that these have seemed to hold the edges longer. I was getting about 2/3 of the time between sharpenings with the Step Steel, probably sharpening them every twenty hours. I think they are both great products, not completely sure how the price difference will work out in the long run, as the Step steel were cheaper and had more height. Both are much better than the stock steel.

I know you are not allowed to use a honing stone on the runners. But do you guys find it unnecessary?

Thanks