Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtcannon

BlackEdge runners

So I got a sweet deal at 70$ shipped. If I consider new steel for my rbk, that needed to be changed, would run me for around 50$. It only cost me 20$ to try the new blackedge. Will try to let you know guys once I get them contours.

I had t'blades before, I hope they are not as gimmick as t'blade were. Cool holder but never did they lasted 5x longer than regular blade so the price difference was huge

So I got a sweet deal at 70$ shipped. If I consider new steel for my rbk, that needed to be changed, would run me for around 50$. It only cost me 20$ to try the new blackedge. Will try to let you know guys once I get them contours.

I had t'blades before, I hope they are not as gimmick as t'blade were. Cool holder but never did they lasted 5x longer than regular blade so the price difference was huge

Why are you comparing BE's to tblades? They are nothing alike. Tblades required a $150 initial holder install purchase, blades were throw aways, didn't last as long as the hype, were hard to find, couldn't be sharpened, squealed, etc. BE's are nothing more than a normal stainless runner with a coating that holds edges longer, resists nicks easier, has better edges and feel. Not a gimmick, they will be around a long time.

Why are you comparing BE's to tblades? They are nothing alike. Tblades required a $150 initial holder install purchase, blades were throw aways, didn't last as long as the hype, were hard to find, couldn't be sharpened, squealed, etc. BE's are nothing more than a normal stainless runner with a coating that holds edges longer, resists nicks easier, has better edges and feel. Not a gimmick, they will be around a long time.

I compare them because the main goal of these 2 products is to OUTPERFORM the regular ss blade.

I compare them because the main goal of these 2 products is to OUTPERFORM the regular ss blade.

So, you would have said the same thing then when the stainless blade came out at the time carbon runners were the standard? A gimmick is something like a Thermablade, not a runner of better quality like the BE's. Again, they ARE stainless, just coated with a tough finish. Nothing gimmicky about that. What I like about them is they really are hard to nick and don't lose edges as easy from incidental contact.

Question for people who have these: the marketing says that these improve both glide and bite. In fact, one of the testimonials on BE's website talks about the fact that these have good bite. So if that is true, then have people found that they need to change their preferred hollow? I skate on Blademaster FB7 (I like it better than FBV) and like the level of bite I get, so if I got BE steel would I likely need to try the FB8 in order to keep the same feel but increase the glide?

Question for people who have these: the marketing says that these improve both glide and bite. In fact, one of the testimonials on BE's website talks about the fact that these have good bite. So if that is true, then have people found that they need to change their preferred hollow? I skate on Blademaster FB7 (I like it better than FBV) and like the level of bite I get, so if I got BE steel would I likely need to try the FB8 in order to keep the same feel but increase the glide?

None of my customers have had to change their cuts, so I think you'll be fine staying with the FB7.

+1 for BE runners here.....

Going on 18+ hrs since I got them and the initial sharpening(a BM fB7)

To touch on pitch for BE runners, mine were negative when installed.

My original tuuk steel is about done.

When I first saw the Black Edge at PHL and asked how much, I couldn't believe they wanted $120. However, it seems a lot of people here like them...

However, at $40 cheaper, would I be just as happy with Step Steel? Anyone have experience with both who can comment?

Actually, never mind. I just read through the thread. I guess BE will be on my list ;)

I sharpened a guys a while back (The BE Ones) and just could not get the same profile feel. So much so that he had me change them in the middle of a large tournament to go back to Step and his orginal Profile,

I just find them to hard and take to much time to profile. But thats just me I havent skated on them yet.

Does anyone know if they make these runners for Graf skates?

I just got a email from the makers of Black Edge, now avail for Graf!

I didn't have a great experience with BE runners. I had very high hopes for them based on the testimonials I read/saw about the product. For me, they didn't perform nearly as well I expected and hoped they would. I felt no improvement in glide or bite over stock RBK/CCM steel. The only improvement that I observed was somewhat improved edge retention over stock steel. The improvement in edge retention was noticeable, but not dramatic. For me, the edge retention of the Black Edge runners is a little better than what I've experienced with Step Steel (which is also better in this area than stock steel, IMO).

Last night, I switched back to Step Steel and immediately noticed improved glide, and a bit more bite than I had with Black Edge runners. I'll keep the BE runners as a backup, since I've already dropped the money on them. I'm disappointed that I could have had two pair of Step Steel runners shipped to me for the same cost (or less) than what I paid for the Black Edge runners online. Even if they were the same price, I'd definitely go with Step Steel over Black Edge runners.

(I have used the same sharpener and hollow for all of the steel I've used recently).

Hey guys, quick question.

I generally use one of these every now and then:

By the sounds of it I probably won't even need to use this, but I am thinking of taking the leap to BE. Would a Re-Edger do more harm than good in this case?

Hey guys, quick question.

I generally use one of these every now and then:

By the sounds of it I probably won't even need to use this, but I am thinking of taking the leap to BE. Would a Re-Edger do more harm than good in this case?

Yes, it will do more harm than good. Those things suck, even on regular steel. On BE, it will either not do anything or it will destroy the coating. Either way, bad news.

I really like BlackEdge - been using them for 4 months and I love the glide (I skate on 5/8 ROH and it's better then what I felt the glide was when I was using regular LS2 steel and 100/50 FBV on it) and edge retention - from my personal experience it's MUCH better then fusion or even STEP and I've used both for 2 years each.

BE still nicks and it's possible to completely roll the edge (on a skate to skate contact or around the net), but the odds of that happening are much less.

So I got my BlackEdge runners sharpened by the new shop in town that everyone has been raving about. The guy is a former trainer for Custom Edge or something, trained NHL trainers, all that usual BS. Well, picked them up to see that he honed them enough to take the white names off the runners. I guess I should have been clearer when I said they don't need honing. The runners are still black, but I think he ruined them. Did a great job on the radius and finish, but I am disappointed.

Just got my Blackedge steel put on last week. Had Ls2 previously. They are fantastic. I don't think I've felt so good on my skates before. Glide is great, edges hold really, really well and it gives me a bunch of confidence out there in addition to less fatigue (have FBV cut). Highly recommended.

As a side note, saw a bruins practice other day. Marchand, Krejci, Horton, Kelly and Bergeron had Blackedge steel on.

So I got my BlackEdge runners sharpened by the new shop in town that everyone has been raving about. The guy is a former trainer for Custom Edge or something, trained NHL trainers, all that usual BS. Well, picked them up to see that he honed them enough to take the white names off the runners. I guess I should have been clearer when I said they don't need honing. The runners are still black, but I think he ruined them. Did a great job on the radius and finish, but I am disappointed.

Even a rookie sharpener would see that the Black edges need no honing. Simple inspection of the blade would reveal that.

I was asked once by a Div 1 college to train their sharpeners. Seems they went to one of these schools taught by similar folks as yours, got 15 minutes total time on the machines and really learned nothing.